Escaped Gerbils

My 2 gerbils have escaped from their cage, and are now happily running around the living room

They are so fast, I cant catch them.

I have made a humane mouse trap from a lemonade bottle, but they are totally ignoring it.

Any ideas please

Photobucket
Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

Escaped Gerbils

Smiley HappyGood Evening Mustard,Sorry To Hear This,Have You Put Some Food In End Of Bottle

Petal
Message 2 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

Yes, I have put some honey treats in there, which is what they really like.

They are showing an interest, but will not not go inside the bottle.

Probably not as daft as mice.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

Why not put the cage on the floor with the door open and treats in it, with a piece of string or such like tied to the door so that when they go in you can pull it closed. It is only my opinion but they may be more liable to go into the cage because it is familar surroundings than into a strange pop bottle.

Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

That's a good idea DC, better than mine.  I was going to suggest putting the cat in there!  Woman Wink

Only joking mustard.x.

Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

It was the cat that caused the problem in the first place.

As Jethro would say  "What happened waaaaas"

I had a friend staying last night, and I went to bed first.  I told my friend to make sure the living room door was closed before he went to bed.

Instead of shutting the cat out, he shut him in.

The gerbil cage is one of those big ones with a deep plastic bottom, and a wire top.

This morning I found the cage on its side on the floor and the gerbils nowhere to be seen.

Later on, we saw them scurrying around the carpet, so the cat didnt catch them.

I have put the top wire bit on the floor, so they can get in to eat and drink, and I have shut the cat out.

He is curled up asleep on my bed.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

You should tell your friend...................'You caused it, you catch them!!'   Woman Very Happy

It was lucky the cat didn't get them wasn't it, he had all night to do it!

Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

Years ago we had gerbils, we kept them in a bird cage and the cat frequently slept on top of it.

I often wondered how he didn't lose fur to their nest since they would pull anything they could get hold of into the cage.

Escaped Gerbils

Have you tried one of those childrens fishing nets?  If you are quick enough you might catch them as they speed past!

Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

I used to own gerbils, adorable little things. Don't try to chase them, just put some food on the palm of your hand, lay still and wait, they will come to you.

Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

My pet gerbils were let out by the cat in 1977 - we still have slightly odd-looking house mice...

I like the shrimping net idea: probably the best option unless free range gerbil idea has its attractions.  Hope you catch the little blighters!

Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

Finally managed to catch them, using dark castle`s method.

I put the wire top half of their cage on the floor and picked them up when they went in for food and water.

They are now back in their cage. dont think they are happy about it, but they have had a bit of an adventure.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

Congrats, mustard - glad you managed to catch the little devils!

Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

Pleased to hear you have your gerbils back in their allocated living space and not roaming about maybe leaving you a nest of young somewhere mustard.

Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

That would be unlikely DC, as they are the same gender.

They are now busily making hills, dales and caves from their woodshavings using their wooden arch as a framework.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

piccies?

Photobucket

Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

This has brought back memories from a very long time ago when our hamster escaped and ran under the freezer.  Thought I was being clever and left his cage open on the kitchen floor, thinking he would go into his nest to sleep.  Next morning I found his cage stripped bare!  He had taken all his bedding, food, everything and set up home under the freezer!

Can't remember what happened in the end - it must be 35 years ago now!!

Message 17 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

jlt, that is hilarious  Smiley LOL

Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

hahahaaaaaaa

Spoiler
laughing 2 smiley.gif

Photobucket

Message 19 of 21
See Most Recent

Escaped Gerbils

That is so funny Joan! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 20 of 21
See Most Recent