Windows 10 and MS in general?

OK, so readers of the Windows Update thread will have seen that I've finally took the plunge in to Windows 10.

I got a new laptop because I've been worried for some time that the HD in my Win 7 machine might be struggling now so here I am, trying out and finding out things I didn't know or how to deal with them.

In the past, I've used FF, Pale Moon and Waterfox browsers but just for now, I've been giving Edge a go. Do I like it? Not really. It takes some getting used to. One thing though, it's fast!

It sems to me that Edge was designed for mobiles in mind. I suppose most people using laptops will be sticking with the touchpads. I don't like them. That might be because I've got used to having a mouse in hand?

With laptops in mind, I guess the developers were thinking that the LT users would be using keystrokes and to that end, didn't include a right-click and click to refresh? With a (wireless) mouse in use, if you refresh (or go back) then scroll the mouse wheel, the page will go either back or forwards!! To stop it doing that you have to click on the page. Crazy?

I don't care for the way the favourites are set up, what with the "star" and the three-lined star, the reading list and all that..... What could have been simpler than just one thing to click for favourites?

All the usual (old?) "File", "Edit", "View" etc are no longer there either. Lots of different things to get used to.

As if all the different things in Win 10 to get used to weren't enough, I find they've mucked about with Word too. I got used to using Office 2010 (of which Word is a part and I had to get used to that after the previous change) and now I'm using the latest version of Office, I'm finding some of that has been changed and not for the better. Simple things now requiring multiple keystrokes with more to remember.

I think there must be many people at Microsoft with time on their hands thinking up new things to alter to justify their jobs?

How about a few comments?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Hmmm, lotsa views but no comments?

MS have messed around with the spellchecker in Word. It keeps wanting to add commas and apostophes where there shouldn't be any. Also, it even wanted to replace "there" with "their" when it was pretty obvious "there" was the correct word. I'm sure I could turn off the grammar checking and just have spelling checked. I'll have to investigate.Just done so, different place of course.

This new machine doesn't refresh if you press F5. That just turns on the keyboard backlighting. To refresh you have to predd Fn + F5, two strokes instead of one.

Isn't it fun finding out?

Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Ha ha, trying to rush I see I put "predd" instead of "press".... nerd

Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Talking to meself here?

A good thing about the newer version of Word is the "pick up where you left off yesterday" little pop-out thing on the right. It saves me having to take a note of the page number so I know where I was up to.

Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Sounds as if you're starting to enjoy it, CD.

Out of interest, was the new version of  Office expensive? A quick look around suggests that it ain't cheap, especially for those of us who hardly ever use it. Presumably, you're using Office 2016.

For me, Windows 10's apparent data slurping and the uncontrollable updates remain insurmountable obstacles. Even if I could afford it, I'd be very reluctant to embrace it.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Hi OE and welcome, we're not seeing you much these days?

Enjoy it? Well, I suppose I'm getting used to it that's all. Boot up in just over 10 seconds is quite something compared to my "old" desktop. The other night it wouldn't shut down. I think I got my data off it just-in-time?

Yes, Office 2016 and I got the home & student version, ninety odd quid.

Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Hmmmmmm, after an HP update, I found it had re-enabled the touchpad so I had to go in to "Settings", "Touchpad",  "Additonal settings" to disable it again.

Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

I forgot to mention, in my OP I said that when you "go back" and scroll the mouse, the page goes backwards or forwards. Well, I fixed that by changing the mouse setting "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them".

Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

I don't have to "worry" about scrolling because I use a very basic Logitech Marble Trackman trackball... I can't use a mouse with all the video-navigating I do.  But I've never been able to get scrolling working with the trackball, and have learned to live without it.

My settings are to switch off the touchpad when a USB mouse is attached (which is what Windows sees the trackball as).  Otherwise my palms send the mouse-pointer flying all over the place!

Here's my desktop with Start10:

2018-07-29 02_34_13-Greenshot.jpg

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

See the other thread to see my desktop with my start button clicked.

I have a few things on my taskbar, easy to pick up off there.

Live long and prosper.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

I forgot to mention.... my word, you have a fully loaded task bar? It's handy to pick things up off there?

Live long and prosper.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent