Ebay website locks up and cause high CPU load!

Also I keep getting a Script on this page has stopped responding message every time I open the selling page! It locks up Internet Explorer 11 and Chrome and cause high cpu load.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just to let you all know. I tried Adblock Plus (ABP) add on for IE and it made a big difference. It is also free and I highly recommend for all browsing.

So its definitely the adverts on eBay causing this terrible loading slowdown. I guess because ads now are bigger, use flash, and scripts much more than before. I remember when ads were just GIF there were no problems! I would suggest to eBay developers to limit the size (kb) and type of ads on each page of the site. If they leave it all to google they wouldn't mind to putting a 500mb video advert there!

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Switch to FireFox then install few add-ons :
NoScript
FlashBlock
AdBlockPlus

and remember to block ebayrtm.com
Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Thanks for that. I will check them out but it is really frustrating what is happening!

To be honest I like using IE as in my opinion is the best browser as it is easier to use and the fonts and colours look much better than the other browsers! There must be a bad script loading that is causing problems! Why don't they fix it and why do they need it anyway? Is it worth messing up the website for the sake of some extra ads? It was working fine before then they messed it up!

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

IE has never really been good for accessing ebay.

They obviously dont support the older versions, and lots of issues crept in from hanging pages to watch list problems. But when 10/11 came in we had lots of reports about missing sign ins, various other missing menus.  On IE9 it still had the options to enable dom storage and I found I could toggle some of the issues on/off by enabling/disabling that.

I think the official line back then was that they were optimising for phone/tablet use. It was predicted that most would be using phone or tablets by now, and that seems to have been correct, so I cant see them back tracking now??

I dont think its bad script, I'm not getting constant error messages.

I just think its sheer weight of advertising and tracking. I use super anti spyware to clean out most days, and the average haul is over 200 if I've been on ebay, which is most days as I'm usually watching a "few" things. If I dont go to ebay it will be 30 - 50 from all other sites visited. And I'm runing spybot which is actively blocking so those are the ones that are not on the blocked list. Obviously running an adblocker makes the big difference by screening out the active content, but I've found picking up all those cookies is still noticeable on an older machine - if they are all hitting within a few moments of landing on the page, the computer is storing them and if theres enough theres a perceivable lag.

You can use inprivate browsing ( from the tools menu in IE), which doesn't store cookies outside the session, and there is usually tracking protection included.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

FireFox and mentioned set of add-ons + blocked ebayrtm.com - PLUS only temporary allowance for visited pages -> NoScript - ZERO problems with spyware, viruses, lags, etc.
Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Just to let you all know. I tried Adblock Plus (ABP) add on for IE and it made a big difference. It is also free and I highly recommend for all browsing.

So its definitely the adverts on eBay causing this terrible loading slowdown. I guess because ads now are bigger, use flash, and scripts much more than before. I remember when ads were just GIF there were no problems! I would suggest to eBay developers to limit the size (kb) and type of ads on each page of the site. If they leave it all to google they wouldn't mind to putting a 500mb video advert there!

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Today, everything was running really, really slowly. I checked my CPU usage and it was at 100%.

So I did a full defrag (not done one for a while) and my CPU usage is 5% at the moment.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent