The new tech board for e-Bay-specific matters.

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/bd-p/Tech  in case anyone missed it.

I do hope this doesn't have an adverse effect on our own poor, neglected little board. A little history, if I may.

A few years ago, major changes were made to the boards. This one ended up under "selling matters" and that proved a bad move on many levels.

A period of really quite extensive "consultation" and discussion ensued, with board contributors and the then Community Manager clarifying the aims and purposes of the tech board.

It was eventually agreed that it was a board for members of a technology-based community to discuss matters of technological interest - especially with respect to computer and related matters.

Moving the board to the "cafe area" meant that it was, in practice, pretty much impossible to go off-topic. It's a discussion board, and some of the best threads have veered from their opening direction to the general advantage (educational, for instance) of participants. Credit to the mods on our current host - I think it only took one or two gentle reminders for them to realise that this is not a place to briskly lock something for going off-topic!

My own feeling is that, quiet as it is, this board remains the place for people to discuss general problems and matters of interest involving computers, tablets, smart telephones, software and the like. When people need it, they sometimes need it fairly badly.

eBay-specific stuff, on the other hand, has been crying out for its own place for a while. People here might be able to make useful suggestions about getting someone's computer working, but have very little idea about, say, the intricacies of selling or setting up a listing. (Putting my grouch's hat on for a moment, it would also be quite nice for those who just want to rant about eBay's latest tech oops improvement to be able to do that on a more ebay - specific board.)

Thus - general computing and technology stuff, especially which might encourage broader discussion and exchange of ideas, should still belong here. Problems related specifically to the way eBay does things would be better dealt with on the new eBay tech board (I think the only thing I dislike about it is that its name incorporates the word "issues" - beloved of those who do things "going forward" or "at this time" while "thinking out of the box" bleurghhhh. Just a personal thing.)

It'll be interesting to see how members and the mods cope - my only real concern is that the sticky about the new board at the head of the Seller Central page might usefully have reminded folk of the existence of this board for non eBay-specific tech stuff - but I dare say the mods will get quite good at shifting stuff around appropriately.

Back into hibernation...

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

I keep getting "Node not found" when I click that link.

I've copied a link from the place which looks the same as yours:-

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/bd-p/Tech

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

There is A LOT OF POSTS on this forum reporting quite serious bugs and glitches - even the forum is only few days old - but - like with other forums here - almost no presence from eBay staff ... just meaningless "we will report it" ...

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

I keep getting "Node not found" when I click that link. 

Because link have " " at the end of the address.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

I hope people don't try posting about tech issues which should go here and/or that ebay don't close this board in preference to the other?

It might have been better if that board had been entitled "Technical problems on the ebay platform"??

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

But eBay never goes wrong, Customer Service says so (sic).  innocent

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent