Non Payment

Does anyone else agree with me that Ebay does not do enough to deal with non payers.  They really have to get on top of this problem. If you went to an auction you would have to pay straight away you are not given four days to decide if you want to pay or not.

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Non Payment

@clarkey72m wrote:

Totally agree Pamela, i have contacted Ebay plenty of times about this issue which has got worse. Sellers should be able to leave negative feedback on non payers to warn other sellers. The only way to get the message out there is Positive feedback and then say what really has happened but this has an effect of making the non payer have a good percentage feedback when they should not. Ebay problem they dont want to deal with.

I find it impossible to trust the word of a seller who ignores policy when they "say what really has happened".

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

Non Payment

Ebay do appear to be making changes regarding this issue.

At the moment they require some members to pre authorize payment on some items where seller add's a "best offer" option.

There has also been various mentions that they may introduce this for auctions as well.

"authorize pre payment " basically means that when a buyer makes an offer they have to pre authorize payment so the seller gets paid straight away should they accept the offer.

It has it's problems though.

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

whilst i can appreciate your concerns - how does instant payment work when you are trying to encourage buyers to win / buy more items to combine on postage?

Please remember these delinquent members have been gleefully accepted by ebay, with little criteria to satisfy in terms of reliability. ebay have shirked responsibility in designing the 'strike' system to be operated by sellers.

ebays efforts on 'offers' are rather primitive in their design, demanding an instant payment, without the option to combine.

The buyers get a saving on postage, the seller saves on materials, the environment saves on less deliveries. Its just ebay who dont get additional fees from postage.

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

There has also been various mentions that they may introduce this for auctions as well.

Sorry i missed postings on this, have you a link, or could outline how ebay plan to make this work?

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

Read this thread. https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying/auto-pay-on-send-an-offer-items/td-p/7463228 

In post 20 @bennotbill  says auction autopayments have already started being implemented on eBay.com.

This thread is also worth reading. https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/MAKE-AN-OFFER-new-payment-process-heads-up/td-... 

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

Many thanks for your comments and directions.

As usual with ebay - it doesnt seem clear about how regular auctions will be affected.

I have no time for the ill thought out 'Offers' notions, if they are ever made compulsory, id stop selling  via auctions on ebay full stop.

The functionality on the dot com site makes them unworkable, especially when combining with regular items for sale. As a buyer you simply inform the seller that they are losing a sale and leave it to them to figure a way round it.

Since ebay capitulated their supremacy battle with the 'river', and focused on competing with the Charity Shops / Junk Shops on the high street, the innovations brought forth have been quite amateurish and petty, more of a case to be seen to be doing something, rather than something of any use.

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

Pre-authorsied payments for auctions – a shillers dream.

Just because something originates from .com does not make it 'for the best'.

Anyhow I believe they have their own serious problems at present.

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

Totally agree Pamela, i have contacted Ebay plenty of times about this issue which has got worse. Sellers should be able to leave negative feedback on non payers to warn other sellers. The only way to get the message out there is Positive feedback and then say what really has happened but this has an effect of making the non payer have a good percentage feedback when they should not. Ebay problem they dont want to deal with.

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

@clarkey72m wrote:

I find it impossible to trust the word of a seller who ignores policy when they "say what really has happened".

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

I do not think you understand. Ignoring what policy ?????

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

The words "Ebay" and "make this work" should never appear in the same sentence 😋

"if it ain't broke fix it 'til it is"

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

@clarkey72m wrote:

I do not think you understand. Ignoring what policy ?????

I understand perfectly.

You appear not to do so.

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

Ebay has a large problem of people entering into a transaction and then not paying.  As a seller i have no way of warning other honest sellers against these serial offenders. Once upon a time you could leave feedback that would help other sellers, but not any more.  As you appear to be an expert in this field please give me a solution that does not intravene Ebay policy. P.S are you a seller yourself?

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

Yes I am a seller.

I find correctly cancelling as unpaid & having my Buyer Requirements set to exclude all those with 2 or more UPI strikes in a 12 month period are very effective tools.

I do not spend any time looking at a buyer's POSITIVE Feedback searching for comments left by sellers... which a buyer can easily have removed.

A false positive will not help me if a bidder snipes an auction.

I stand by my initial comment .

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

Your initial comment was to say that you did not trust me !!!!! as a seller. Perhaps some guidance on a solution would a better way of joining a discussion if you feel the need to join in.

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

My initial comment has been accepted as a solution.

I provided the tools I use to deal with non payers... they can be found in "Help" on any eBay page.

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

Non Payment

ebay dont care if a buyer pays or not  ebay are happy if 1 million listings didnt get paid because ebay take there 36 p   and then charge you again for relisting so ebay will not give a hoot  .im  sure ebay will be rubbing theres hands toghter every time you gotta relist a item keeeeerrrching for ebay 

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent