Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 20.12.23 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of marco@ebay, katie@ebay and anita@ebay. Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, Fulfilment, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. Some questions may not be suitable for this weekly chat, as it closes after 1 hour. If you have a long question or one that requires a lot of investigation please write a discussion post on the boards and tag our team members. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us. This will be our last weekly chat of the year. We'll be back on the 3rd of January.

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 20.12.23 @2pm

@bojangled wrote:

anita@ebay 

That's an interesting statement, can I ask is that an official line from Royal Mail? 
Jo

Hi @bojangled,

This is not the official line from Royal mail, but from eBay team and the information we have.

Thanks,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 21 of 28
See Most Recent

@pbshef wrote:

Hi,

I have bought an item on ebay which was marked for local collection due to its size and agreed with seller for paying cash on collection.

While collecting the item, the seller asked for Collection code which was not visible until, I pressed the Make payment button - which has also charged my card, even though I have paid in cash.

I contacted ebay customer services to stop the payment, and they confirmed that the payment will not clear but it has still been charged to my card. How can I get the refund for double payment ?

Hi pbshef, thanks for your post.

If you confirm the item number for the transaction in question, I will be happy to review that for you. Could you please also confirm if you paid with cash on collection and then via card again when you pressed that button or because you were charged you decided not to pay in cash?

Thank you,

Marco

I am currently away and will return on the 20th of May. Please expect a delay in my reply

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 22 of 28
See Most Recent

Anita, you said:

@best-range, if historically one postage service didn’t perform as well as the other, we will take that into consideration along with other factors. While one service may seem faster, the actual performance may have been different.

Please look at my first screenshot, half of my products  show 1 & 2 class post with the same EDD's and the other half will show as 2 class is 2 days faster then 1st according to ebay's EDD.

So how do you explain that according to your argument ?

sorry but it only points to some serious tech bug & not a deliberate "working as designed" programming.

Message 23 of 28
See Most Recent

But eBay do not truly take in carrier performance to arrive at estimated delivery dates. For example three times here in northwest in the past week Royal Mail have told post men not to deliver OR collect large letters At the end of day due to so many staff shortages and volume of mail. It is clearly stated by Royal Mail tracked 24 and special delivery are priority. Ask the postmen!!! The edd also do NOT take into account things like royal mails service bulletins for areas of non delivery or regional sorting offices such as Croydon, Medway, Bristol, an also Glasgow recently have had or have major issues. EDD also does not take in to account for example that in Kendal every day 12 rounds are not delivered due to staff shortages? Or perhaps it does please tell us.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 24 of 28
See Most Recent

One post here about invalid token,but it seems to appear on several post for different reasons Marco going back at least 3 months

'Invalid access token' error message - UK eBay Community

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 25 of 28
See Most Recent

@plum993 wrote:

One post here about invalid token,but it seems to appear on several post for different reasons Marco going back at least 3 months

'Invalid access token' error message - UK eBay Community

Thanks for this, plum993.

I will get back to them on that, and take it from there.

Thank you,

Marco

I am currently away and will return on the 20th of May. Please expect a delay in my reply

eBay
Message 26 of 28
See Most Recent

@pbshef wrote:

Hi,

I have bought an item on ebay which was marked for local collection due to its size and agreed with seller for paying cash on collection.

While collecting the item, the seller asked for Collection code which was not visible until, I pressed the Make payment button - which has also charged my card, even though I have paid in cash.

I contacted ebay customer services to stop the payment, and they confirmed that the payment will not clear but it has still been charged to my card. How can I get the refund for double payment ?

Hi pbshef,

I managed to find the transaction in question, and after review I can see that the seller never listed the item for cash on collection. The only payment method approved for this listing was via debit/credit card, Google Pay, Apple Pay, and PayPal. I can see you messaged them to pay with cash on collection, but the seller never accepted formally over messages to this.

If you happened to pay with cash and then again via your card, then please contact the seller and ask them issue a refund for the amount that was paid by card. If you only paid by card, for now you would need leave it as it is.

In the future, make sure the listing and seller accepts cash on collection as part of the approved payment methods (listed the item for cash on collection), otherwise this could happen again. 

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 27 of 28
See Most Recent

@best-range, thanks for highlighting that. But this also depends on other factors, such as buyer's location, historical data of carrier performance in that area as it may differ from one to another. The aim is to provide better estimate and show realistic delivery dates based on those factors.

@tommystrezures  appreciate your comment on this. If Royal mail prioritizes one service over another, once again, this is where dynamic calculation comes in and seeing the specific postage service is not performing as well as before, will take that into consideration when estimating EDD.

As mentioned above, our teams did work closely with carriers to understand their performance across the peak times and information provided to us was taken into consideration on EDD calculations.

Thanks,
Anita

Message 28 of 28
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.