Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 04.10.23 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

This week, our team will have anita@ebay only. Due to Anita being on her own, it might take a bit longer for you to receive a reply, but she will get to your question. Anita has knowledge in Buying, Selling, Postage, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support.

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 33
See Most Recent
32 REPLIES 32

All the filtering options have disappeared from any category pages I'm looking at. There is an empty strip where they normally appear in the page. it has been like this for a couple of days. This is true in both Safari and firefox on a Mac. When will they come back? Is there anything I can do?

best regards,

matt

Message 2 of 33
See Most Recent

Hi all . Tracking data does not appear to be working on app or main site ; has not updated in the last 2 days . (EVRI)

Message 3 of 33
See Most Recent

Hi, need to change full refund to partial refund because buyer agreed tomoay for return postage but cannot find anywhere to change the refund amount.  Please guide me how. TIA

Message 4 of 33
See Most Recent

@cmatthewbacon wrote:

All the filtering options have disappeared from any category pages I'm looking at. There is an empty strip where they normally appear in the page. it has been like this for a couple of days. This is true in both Safari and firefox on a Mac. When will they come back? Is there anything I can do?

best regards,

matt

Hi cmatthewbacon, thanks for your post.

We don't have any reports suggesting this issue at the moment. I recommend using Chrome browser, clearing cache & cookies and try again. If you still experience the same issue, please share the screenshot, and I will report it.

Thank you,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 5 of 33
See Most Recent

It might be a red herring, but the debug console for the page shows a number of "Content-Security-Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at inline" errors.

M.

Message 6 of 33
See Most Recent

Spoof emails...

We get  a lot of spoof emails, as I am sure a lot of other eBay members do.

eBay have actually set up a reporting email specifically for this at spoof@eBay.com 
We did receive one this morning telling us that we can get 70% off FVF's, so I was already straight away thinking that this has got to be a scam, as eBay are never gonna make an offer like that to a registered business seller.

It took me 2 seconds to check and it definitely was a scam phishing email. So I forwarded it to the eBay spoof email address as I normally do, as I want to do my part to help combat this kind of fraud.

10 seconds later, I get this reply:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:     FW: Get 70% off final value fees on new listings

Sent:  04/10/2023 10:47

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'spoof@ebay.com' on 04/10/2023 10:47

550 This message was classified as SPAM and may not be delivered"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really, the spoof email address is rejecting emails that are classified as SPAM!!

Come on eBay, please take a look at this as that is just ridiculous.

Cheers

Russ

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 7 of 33
See Most Recent

Just got this from Royal Mail

"We are sorry that customers experienced some issues with Royal Mail shipping and tracking systems yesterday (Tuesday). We'd like to reassure you that despite these issues, items were still being accepted, collected and delivered as usual. However, some of our usual item tracking and delivery/collection features were not available. These features included item tracking, customer notifications, Parcel Collect, inflight delivery options, pre-advice data and international customs payments.

We started to restore these features yesterday (Tuesday) evening. Customers should now start to see any delayed tracking/scanning data and pre-advice information for items which have already been posted, processed or delivered yesterday. Please be aware that because we deliver millions of items every day, this data will be restored gradually during the next few days and some features may also remain affected for items being processed or due delivery today.

We know item tracking and item delivery/collection features are an important part of the service we offer to our customers and your customers. We're very sorry for the inconvenience and are working to restore these features fully, including for items affected yesterday, as quickly as possible. As we continue to do this, we'd like to confirm that items are being collected, processed and delivered as usual."

Will eBay be acknowledging RM's catastrophic failures of late and delays when delivery estimates are provided or cases are opened, late marks are left etc?

Message 8 of 33
See Most Recent

Good afternoon,   

I note that this has been reported several times by sellers, but, see that Ebay are not listening to sellers.  I have been a seller for 16 years with ebay, and I have reported this issue several times via online chat. 

Please Please Please someone in Ebay get this issue resolved for the sellers.  The issue is the estimated delivery dates that the buyers see on the ebay tracking, they are incorrect.  This means that the buyer then thinks that the item is late for delivery and raises a query with ebay. 

I am having trouble with the YODEL updates via ebay.  I purchase a Yodel label via ebay packlink.  Delivery time on ebay states 2 days for YODEL, but, when the EBAY label is printed off it states 72 hours.  This is THREE days, not TWO Days.  I have reported this several times.  I have another issue again on the ebay tracking for YODEL only.  

Customer buys an item on Friday 29th September 2023 in the evening, I print off the postage label via ebay packlink on Saturday 30th September in the morning, and drop it off at the parcel shop AM on Saturday 30th September.  The ebay tracking for the customer states delivery Monday 2nd October 2023.  How is that tracking correct? Saturday and sunday are not working days.  On the actual YODEL website the tracking information is correct, giving delivery date as 3 working days. However, the ebay customers look on the ebay tracking.  I have reported this particular situation to ebay, and got the standard "we will inform our Techincal team about this"  Then when you get feedback through no fault of your own, ebay are not willing to help.  Can the tech team not change the postage delivery setting to 3 days, is there a Tech team looking into this.  We spent half our time having to speak to Ebay customer service over this.  

I see lots of posts on this issue being Royal Mail etc and Ebay are not doing anything about it.  What can we do to get this matter resolved. We are thanked for our loyal business by ebay, but it does not feel as if ebay are listening.  

Thank you for your time.

Message 9 of 33
See Most Recent

The listing form is missing many of the standard item specifics fields for multiple categories. It's been happening for at least a couple of weeks and seems to be spreading to more categories. See here: https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/Some-item-specifics-missing-on-forms/m-p/7489819 

Message 10 of 33
See Most Recent

@williabaxte7 wrote:

Hi all . Tracking data does not appear to be working on app or main site ; has not updated in the last 2 days . (EVRI)

Hi williabaxte7, thanks for your post.

We display information, that is provided to us by courier, so I would recommend checking if it’s been updated on Evri. Also, our tracking system updates with postage companies once every 24 hours. However, you may see a delay on My eBay for 24 to 48 hours, depending on when the item was scanned for shipment.

Thanks,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 11 of 33
See Most Recent

@rainbowtrax wrote:

The listing form is missing many of the standard item specifics fields for multiple categories. It's been happening for at least a couple of weeks and seems to be spreading to more categories. See here: https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/Some-item-specifics-missing-on-forms/m-p/7489819 

To add, if you submit the listing and then go and revise it once it's live, the missing item specifics options then reappear.

Message 12 of 33
See Most Recent

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me why a international buyer has only paid £2.50 for shipping when i have it set at £3?

Message 13 of 33
See Most Recent

eBay tell me that our sales can be affected by stagnant listings.

Apparently once an item is for sale for more than 3 months / 90 days without a sale, that can affect the visibility of that item and potentially affect your other items too.

I have tried to find a way to download a report of items that have not had a sale in the last 90 days, so we can look at why they may not be selling, end and sell similar after some improvements have been made like adding item specifics, working on the price to try and make a better price, etc.

As I have looked and looked and cannot find a way to solve this riddle, if eBay want to quantify listings by this metric as stagnant, surely there must be a way to find these stagnant listings.

Can one of the eBay team tell me how to get a report of such that will show items without a sale for 90 days or more?

Cheers

Russ

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 14 of 33
See Most Recent

Hi Anita . Yes it working fine on Evri tracking page 

Message 15 of 33
See Most Recent

@springcleaners wrote:

Hi, need to change full refund to partial refund because buyer agreed tomoay for return postage but cannot find anywhere to change the refund amount.  Please guide me how. TIA

Hi springcleaners, thanks for your post.

You should be able to offer a partial refund if you go to:

1.  Returns dashboard.
  2. Select View return details beside the item.
  3. Select Offer a partial refund and then Continue.
  4. Enter the amount you wish to offer the buyer.
  5. You can choose to add a message to the buyer.
  6. Select Send offer.

Thanks,

Anita

Message 16 of 33
See Most Recent

@ducatimondo wrote:

eBay tell me that our sales can be affected by stagnant listings.

Apparently once an item is for sale for more than 3 months / 90 days without a sale, that can affect the visibility of that item and potentially affect your other items too.

I have tried to find a way to download a report of items that have not had a sale in the last 90 days, so we can look at why they may not be selling, end and sell similar after some improvements have been made like adding item specifics, working on the price to try and make a better price, etc.

As I have looked and looked and cannot find a way to solve this riddle, if eBay want to quantify listings by this metric as stagnant, surely there must be a way to find these stagnant listings.

Can one of the eBay team tell me how to get a report of such that will show items without a sale for 90 days or more?

Cheers

Russ

I agree. This would be a really useful column to add to the Active listings page in Seller Hub (Date Of Last Sale). Listings could then be sorted by that column to easily identify them. Can this be suggested as an addition please?

Message 17 of 33
See Most Recent

Ebay Packlink label, showing 72 hours delivery, not 2 days as on ebay.  As said reported this several times.  The tracking is wrong.

Thanks 

Message 18 of 33
See Most Recent

@cmatthewbacon wrote:

It might be a red herring, but the debug console for the page shows a number of "Content-Security-Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at inline" errors.

M.

Hi cmatthewbacon, thanks for your reply.

I would recommend checking your CSP (Content-Security-Policy) settings on the browser.

Thanks,

Anita

Message 19 of 33
See Most Recent

@ducatimondo wrote:
@marco@ebay wrote:

Hi ducatimondo,

I've just got an update on this, please see below.

eBay’s tax methodology is to remove the VAT at the rate specified by the seller on the item, and then add VAT based on the delivery country.

The logic for this is that if a seller has listed a VAT inclusive price, then they no longer are responsible for the VAT and instead eBay has to take responsibility.  

Example:

VAT registered Seller lists item GBP100, and indicates that they have applied 20% VAT.  As the UK works on an inclusive pricing, this means GBP100 is the VAT inclusive price (100% seller revenue + 20% VAT).

We impute UK VAT out at 20%, giving seller revenue of GBP83.33, VAT of 16.67

We then calculate the VAT payable by eBay based on the delivery address e.g. 23% based on IE buyer address.  So buyer with an IE delivery address will be charged 102.50 – 83.33+IE VAT 19.17

It is for this reason we ask VAT registered sellers to provide the VAT rate that they use in their pricing when listing items; if the seller provides a different VAT rate (e.g. a rate of 25% for Denmark) then we impute that rate. 

This is the logic that has been in place since 1 January 2021 for the UK and 1 July 2021 for the EU. 

Regarding VAT on postage, Royal Mail (or a similar universal postal operator) does not charge VAT.  However, the seller wouldn't be a postal carrier and so is required to account for VAT on their postage charges.  Our logic therefore assumes that a seller's shipping pricing is based on a VAT inclusive price for postage also.  HMRC have some guidance here which may be of help.

Please note that you will not able to reply here, as this chat is already closed.

Thank you,

Marco

Hi Marco,

Continuing on from our discussion and my question last week regarding the VAT on shipping for international items, I have quoted your reply above that came after the thread had closed.

Regarding the highlighted section above, are you really gambling on VAT for millions of transactions based on an assumption?
Allow me to clarify something for you here, that assumption is wrong in every single case.
You also mention that the seller is not a postal carrier and therefore has to account for VAT. Yes, this is true and easy, there is NO VAT in international postage for anyone at all that is shipping from the UK to anywhere that is not the UK, albeit a private seller, a business seller, a postal operator or not postal operator. This has been true for the entire UK since 1st Jan 2021. It has been the exclusive responsibility of eBay to apply this correctly since 1st July 2021

I might also add that you are also incorrect in your statement that "Royal Mail (or a similar universal postal operator) does not charge VAT"

It is more accurate to say that the retail side of Royal Mail, trading as Post Office Counters Ltd that deal directly with the public do not charge VAT on the Royal Mail products they sell, such as 1st class and 2nd class post.

We use Royal Mail 48, Royal Mail 24, Royal Mail Special Delivery, etc on our OBA account and are charged a VAT element to all of the services we are provided by Royal Mail, as we buy them from Royal Mail and not the Post Office.

It seems that eBay have no idea about UK tax law or how to implement it.

Back to eBay's assumption about the postage including VAT...

Are you basing this on if the item contains VAT, so the listing says 20% VAT applicable and then applying or more accurately removing 20% VAT from the postage on said item?

Or are you assuming that the postage will contain 20% VAT irrespective of the VAT status of the item. So would a 0% VAT rated item like a book or children's clothing have no VAT removed from the postage? Or would the same item, with no VAT in the item have 20% VAT removed from the item anyway, even though the product is 0% VAT rated?

Of are you basing this all on the seller's status and only removing VAT from the postage if the seller is a VAT registered business.
Are you expecting me as a seller to add VAT on all my international postage, so you can remove it, thus breaching international law?

Are you then expecting us all to over charge buyers or more accurately charge buyers VAT on postage when eBay is not being VAT controller through IOSS or the other areas such as some states of USA, Singapore, Australia, etc? I ask this as when eBay change the taxes on the item, you do not do this for all sales, only those you are now VAT controller for. This is a moving table, as you just decide to implement new ones without warning, such as recently adding Jersey into the sales you are now controlling VAT on?

The only way to do this correctly is to use the long time established and internationally recognised and implemented rule that there is no VAT on international postage from the UK to anywhere and not have sellers guess what ever you feel like doing on any given day, based on an assumption and without even asking us.

Can you check with your relevant team why they are making this assumption and if they plan to change to so that it works correctly; no VAT from anyone on international postage.

Apologies this is posted so late in the hour, I have been writting this as I can in between trying to keep up with customers in the shop and on the phone, so do not expect to be able to reply again.

Thanks 

Russ

Hi ducatimondo,

I've just got an update on the above from the VAT team.

1) I've been confirmed that sellers are required to list their prices including all appropriate taxes and duties. 

2) Unless a seller is listing only for the export market, a seller should be including UK VAT in their item and in their associated postage prices. VAT registered business sellers are accordingly asked to list their items + the VAT rates they included on their pricing.

3) It is on this understanding, that when an item is shipping to an EU address from the UK, we remove a VAT value based on the VAT rate specified by a seller on the item

4) and on the associated shipping.

5) If a seller is not including UK VAT in their pricing, they should list with 0% VAT. eBay will then add VAT at the appropriate rate based on the delivery address.

Much of this information is set out on our Help Page “Your VAT Obligations” – the section on VAT calculation methodology here.

Please note that you will not be able to provide a reply here, as this chat is already closed.

Thank you,

Marco

Good afternoon Marco,

Continuing on from my post last week and as always, appreciate the reply at the end of the above.

I have broken your reply from last time into different points so that I can address each directly below:

1) Yes, we are aware of our obligations and do list our prices including appropriate VAT. The taxes and duties are different for shipping than they are for an item, as one is a service and the other is a product. For the UK, the item may or may not have VAT in it, certain items are exempt from VAT. The postage always has VAT in it for us, but this does not apply to all sellers as it depends in which service the seller us using to send the item and is even affected by who they are buying that service from.

2) We do not list only for export, all of our items are listed on eBay UK and have international shipping options on the majority of them. We do list our items including the correct UK VAT, albeit 20% or 0% as dictated by the item. For the UK market, all of our postage already does include UK VAT irrespective to the product, our UK shipping always includes VAT. This is not true or all sellers, see point 1)

3) Yes, this is correct, the VAT from the UK item sale price should be removed if the item is being shipped from the UK to an EU address.

4) No, there is no VAT in international postage

5) This should be determined by the VAT registration status of the seller on an account level. If the seller is a private seller, there should be an option to choose this or otherwise should be automatically determined from the eBay user’s account. So a private seller should have no obligation to tell you per account level or per item level as there is never any VAT in an item from a private seller. If the seller is a business seller, the determination should be same as the private seller, only when that business seller does not declare VAT registered status. If the business seller is declaring a VAT registered status, then the item price should be affected for VAT based on the VAT rate specific to each item listed. There is however never any VAT in international postage for any item being shipped from UK to anywhere else in the world. This is not affected by the seller’s status or by the taxable status of the item or by the destination the item is being shipped to. There is never, ever any VAT in international postage to anyone outside the UK, from anyone inside the UK

It is this last point and point 4) where the issue is and that eBay have failed to acknowledge. You keep saying that you are removing the VAT from the item and postage, there is never any VAT in the international postage!!
The VAT in the item is determined by the item and the seller, the VAT in th epostage os not, there is no VAT in international postage for items sent out of the UK.

If you or the VAT team need any additional info that will help you understand VAT and your obligations in the UK, you can find more information at the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-guide-notice-700

Below you can also find more information of the Royal Mail services, where Royal Mail clearly state at the bottom of the international postage pages that “VAT is payable at the zero rate for EU and ROW destinations.

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2023-04/royal-mail-business-price-guide-april-20...

Thanks Russ
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ducatimondo, thanks for getting back to me on this.

I appreciate the information given. However, we would stick to the above which is the information provided by the VAT team.

Thank you,

Marco

@ak_craft_crazy   this above is the reason

Thank you for your reply again from last week marco@ebay 

Please can someone at eBay provide to me the contact details for the VAT team mentioned  by Marco.

Thanks

Russ

- Albert Einstein
Message 20 of 33
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.