eBay response Thank you for taking the time to submit this report

When I Report an Item, I get a stock response which is clearly not helpful and prolly not even true, both of which I mind. Does anyone know how to even ask eBay to change the procedure?

What's most questionable is 'To protect our users' privacy, we're unable to share the action we take…'

Does anyone think that could ever be helpful? Even before that, who thinks it could even be true?

Here in the UK, and in the EU, protection of 'Users' privacy' is mostly about identificatiion of said Users and has little to do with anything what follows from that.

Does anyone suggest '… we're unable to share the action we take…' is in any way different from your local authorities - your council or police - giving the same response to whatever allegation you might have made… whether that's about noise abatement or assault with a deadly weapon?

Does anyone suggest it could be acceptable for your police or council not to tell you whether they were closing the file, and if so why, or were proceeding with charges?

How hard can this be?

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Well, Police Scotland don't need to inform anyone whether they are closing a file or not, or whether they are proceeding.  According to one MSP he was reported and investigated for a crime without his knowledge recently.

And my local council didn't have to tell me who reported our garage, nor did they tell the people who raised the issue that they approved it.

EBay would be hanging from a shuggly peg if they were to divulge personal information, so a blanket response as you have had is the best recourse.  Surely if they were to give you the outcome, they would have to give your info to the people you reported, for fairness.  Which would be madness.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Really? Who told you that about Police Scotland? Should we just take your word , or can cite a source?

When did you last ask Police Scotland about the progress of any case in which you were directly involved, and what exactly was the response?

Did you not realise if an MSP was reported and investigated for a crime without his knowledge, that would at best be a disgrace, more than likely a breach of police procedure and possibly so great a breach, it would itself be a criminal offence?

Whether or not your MSP was cleared, why do you prefer to work through unsubstantiated rumour, rather than simple fact?

Why not help to spread the word of his innocence by stating his name, the charges, the date, at least as much of their conclusiion as Police Scotland reported, and what response you got when you filed a Freedom of Information request?

If you won't do that, why should anyone take your claim as more than urban muyth?

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: