Report a listing - what a farce!!

I reported a listing for the incorrect condition category. Item was listed as 'new' but seller put in the description that they'd only used it once. I sent a message to clarify with the seller and they said they would correct it but they never did.  I got a super quick email from eBay confirming the report and at exactly the same time another email telling me that it had been reviewed and checked using AI and the listing was found to be correct.

I know that this isn't a major issue but on what planet does 'new' equate to worn once. Surely even AI can work that one out .......?!  No wonder selling standards are so bad eBay doesn't care.

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

correction - the report update came through about 15 mins later

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

'used once' is a BS term which is very rarely true anyway. 

Back in the day before the internet was mainstream, it was all about the mail order catalogues (Kays, Empire, Studio Cards) and when something didn't fit or wasn't ideal, there was hassle to deal with in sending it back (going off to the post office). It's arrival was already hassle as there was no tracking so you just had to hope someone was in when they turned up, so sending it back was just as much hassle, not knowing if they'd received it back until a letter arrived confirming the refund. So people would often just sell it on as genuinely used once. 

Now, it's mostly not true when people say it. It usually would have been used more than once but just happen to still be in great condition and so people think saying used once may make it sell faster. Even going as far as to list it as new and put used once in the description. eBay should be removing those. 

It's funny with some sellers when they put brand new never worn and their photo is of them wearing it. 

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Sometime last year, i purchased a vintage toy for my collection, that the seller claimed was brand new, still on it`s blister pack. When it arrived, it was clear as day that this toy had been out on display for years and was so badly yellowed from smoking and/or sun bleaching, it was ridiculous, he`d clearly just put it back in the blister pack and glued it back down. Even after showing him a photo of what his looked like and what it should look like, i was called a scammer and everything.

I rarely buy that `used once` line or `only used a couple of times`, because how the hell do they prove that, because if they`ve looked after the item and it looks like new, well anyone can say that, even if they`ve had it years.

The other one i love as well, is when they list as brand new, but have opened it `only` to take photos, which now makes it `used` 🙄

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

@iluvneighbours wrote:

“..... on what planet does 'new' equate to worn once.”?

That will be same planet upon which AI equates to 'intelligence". 

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Thanks for the responses. I reported different listing and got a message back to say that an agent had reviewed the report and the listing has been deleted.  At least in this instance the report was properly processed by a real person which was reassuring.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

At least you could report it, I've found no way on the phone app of reporting an incorrect or misleading title. The third pull down menu of the reporting options has nothing to do with incorrect item titles.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

I reported it under the following

iluvneighbours_2-1713025266887.jpeg

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: