Received partial refund but item is still faulty

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice please on a purchase which has gone wrong.

I bought a second hand Apple Pencil for my new iPad. The listing description said it was working and it comes with the lightning adapter. When I received it, the lighting adapter was not in the box as described. Therefore I contacted the seller and they issued a partial refund for £9 which is the price of the adapter.

I picked up an adapter ( brand new). The Pencil connects/pairs to my iPad ok but it won't work. You're meant to be able to write like you would with a pen on your iPad screen. Also it won't charge and goes between 3 and 6%. I've tried charging it via a plug socket and by connecting a cable to my ipad also. According to the Apple technical support website this is meant to charge it within 30 minutes.

So to cut a long story short, even after receiving a partial refund so I could buy an adapter, I've concluded the item is definitely faulty. But if the seller has already given a partial refund, can I still ask EBay/the seller to refund up to the full amount £45 including postage?

I would be really grateful for any advice as I've been using EBay for years and not really had any problems. 

Many thanks in advance

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Open a not as described case by starting a return if you are still within the ebay 30 money back guarantee.

Go to the item in your purchase history where there will be a "more actions" drop down menu where the "return this item" link is located.

Pick the reason "doesn't match discription or photos" and add a photo.

If you can't take a photo just paste the one from the listing because the eBay automated system won't know the difference.

The seller will have 3 business days to resolve the issue by either refunding you, without you needing to send the item back, or supplying a label for you to return the item.

If they don't cooperate you ask eBay to step in.

A button should appear on the case to do that after the 3 business days are up.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

If you're still within the thirty day period with which to open an eBay case against the seller then do as Douglaspuglas has already advised in his reply.  If, on the other hand, you are out of time to open an eBay case then open a case via PayPal if you used PayPal to pay for the item.  If you do end up opening a case that way be sure to escalate the matter before PayPal's twenty day cut-off point if the seller does not cooperate.  Unlike eBay, who only offer buyers thirty days to open a case, PayPal offer buyers a total of one hundred and eighty days after purchasing the item during which to open a case, so even if you've run out of time with eBay you've still got plenty of time to open a case with PayPal if you paid for the item that way.

In the event that you've run out of time to open an eBay case and you paid for the item using a credit or debit card then do a chargeback instead and you should be able to get a refund that way.  If I remember correctly you have a total of one hundred and twenty days after making payment to do a chargeback.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Thank you both for your replies. I'm still in the 30 day guarantee as I only received the item on Monday. I'm going to open a case now and will let you know how I get on.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: