I have to pay for return postage - item faulty

As a seller in the past I've had to pay the postage costs for a buyer to send an item back to me, despite not accepting returns and the item being as described.

I recently purchased a sink plug which costs under £4. It didn't fit the sink or any sink in my home or meet the specs listed. Now ebay are asking I pay £3 to return this item. Can I ask the buyer to pay this return cost? It doesn't seem fair when I've had to pay the postage for a buyer to send items back to me. 

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

If you open a not as described case the seller has to provide a prepaid returns label to you.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Sorry but just to be clear did you sell the plug and the buyer wants to return?

Or did you buy the plug and want to return it?

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

If you are the buyer did you open a return case.

If you choose a reason like "doesn't fit" eBay will regard it as a change of mind return and the buyer pays return postage.

"Doesn't match discription or photos" is the one you should use for a not as described item and the seller would pay for the return.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

You presumably opened a return case using the reason 'does not fit', this counts as a change of mind return and the buyer pays the return costs (unles the seller has opted to pay them, which is unusual).

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Thanks everyone yes I selected 'does not fit'. Can I cancel this and select 'not as described' instead?

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

I'm afraid not you cannot open another case for this item with eBay.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

@photojim86 wrote:

Thanks everyone yes I selected 'does not fit'. Can I cancel this and select 'not as described' instead?

No sorry eBay won't let you do that.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Thank you everyone, very helpful

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: