Fraudulent Listings for cars

There are an ever increasing number of fraudulent listings onEBay motors but alerting EBay to these listings the report button doesn't seem to have any affect . Here's how it works. Seller gets photos of expensive car from Autotrader or another EBay listing. Lists that and many other cars at stupidly cheap prices. Buyer contacts seller who says the car is in Ireland/Scotland - somewhere far away but their logistics firm will handle it & there are "guarantees" all the way so their money is safe.  Buyer sees an absolute bargain (often excused by it being "Repo") & immediately loses half their brain cells. Transfers cash to FritzTranz logistics or similar bogus freight agent then car never arrives & seller is never seen again.

This is a sophisticated scam with positive references for the bogus freight agents being put up on petrolhead forums "I bought my  Porsche from them & it was delivered in 3 days, very satisfied customer"

There are many freight agents waiting in the wings for when one goes bust - the scammers set up loads of shell companies all at once ready to go so when one is exposed they have another already set up. (often NI based). How do I get EBay to take these listings down & better still not take them in the first place ?  

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

Fraudulent Listings for cars

If it seems to good to be true then it probably is.

Yes ebay can be slow to take down scams.

They usually wait for loads of negs before looking at it.

By that time the crooks are long gone with the money.

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: