Fake 925 silver jewellery items sold

Hi from Bulgaria,

during July to December I purchased over £400 mixed jewellery items rings, bracelets, necklaces

for family / friends Xmas gifts and also some items for fundraising for local animal shelter and new hospice. 

The seller  site says they make all their own jewellery to high standard. 

AT 1st everything was OK but towards Sept my bids were constantly cancelled for invalid reasons. Not reaching high enough prices.,Then relisted, or wrong items sent making it impossible for me to return from Bulgaria due to high courier costs.

I gave up buying as too muc h trouble.

Recently, my friend msg me to say his Xmas present silver ring had all flaked off showing brass inner, the pictures were a shock after price paid, eBay say out of 30day gtee but fraud is fraud and should be no haggle refund?? Its taken 3mths for plating too wear off and show not. 925 Silver as stamped,

AS I'm in Bulgaria I can't go to trading standards etc, eBay are getting a % of his sales and whilst ppl say low percentage of complaints.. Howw many others are unaware they have fake silver??

AND RECENT FEEDBACK shows others with same problems I've had? 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

If you receive an item not as described it doesn't matter where you are in the world,  eBay's 30 day MBG,  Money Back Guarantee applies to you,  and you are guaranteed a full refund if you open a case for item not as described,  within 30 days of the item's last estimated date for delivery.

Here,  the seller,  if they want their item back,  they have to pay for that fully tracked return postage.  If buying from India,  seller sending to Bulgaria,  my guess would be they won't want to pay for that return and then will refund without asking for the item to be sent back.

They have 3 days to decide,  if they don't  refund,  you escalate the case to eBay,  they step in and force the refund.

Never close the case early for any excuse or promise the seller may give,  and do not forget to escalate.

To proceed you need to log ouut of this UK site, and log into your homesite,  which works from here:

www.ebay.com

@nannych_65 

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

This is so sad, when there is so much genuine silver on eBay, but unfortunately your cannot name and shame.

Your 30 days is from the date you recieve, not the date of the sale.    You can also try your payment provider if you run out of time.

Always always read the description - many descriptions state silver, 925 silver or even sterling silver in the title and state somewhere (usually in a very long description) that the item is silver plated.  In this case, you can't win a case of 'not as described'.

Sad thing is that there are some lovely pieces of genuine sterling silver from the far east - silver from Indonesia and Thailand are almost always genuine - and generally British, European, American and Middle Eastern silver is genuine.   I have some lovely pieces from China - and I provide a small manufacturer in Scotland with lots of gemstones and pottery, mainly Royal Albert Old Country Roses and Willow Pattern (who knew?) for sterling silver jewellery made in India.  So its a bit of a minefield.

But - sterling silver - and indeed silver standards down to 800 silver, are not magnetic - always the quickest way to acertain if you have a non-silver item. 

And your nose is your second test - smell it - silver has no metallic smell. 

Get a silver cloth, even the cleanest silver will leave a black mark - if in doubt put the jewellery in the bathroom for a couple of days and then wipe it on a silver cloth - if its silver it WILL leave marks.  Even if it is rhodium plated.  Silver plating might leave a mark, but check it against a genuine piece of silver and you will see a difference.  And, if you buy a lot of silver, get silver acid - costs a few quid and a pair of protective gloves - its a pretty accurate test even without filing the metal.   Never a need to wait for the plating to wear off!

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: