Can sellers mislead with sizes?

I bought an item that is stated to be a 12 (UK), it is an 8 at a push. (I know UK sizes arent exact, but the difference here is drastic).

Seller requires original packaging for a return, but a vacuum seal meant I couldn't see the absurd disparity 'til I'd opened the package.

The seller is offering me a 25% return, but this really does feel misleading and it's not like I can do anything but donate it anyway. Is there anything I can do?

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes indeed there is!    If it is misdescribed as you suggest you do not contact the seller but simply open a "return case" with the reason "Not as described".  Do not use the reason "does not fit" as that implies you got it wrong.   Do not take advice from the seller. 

Seller will send a label within 3 days.  Do not contact the seller or discuss.   If not escalate to eBay and you will probably get a refund.  If the label arrives then carefully pack up the item and return and when tracking shows delivery you should get a full refund

@nikolxj 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Yes indeed there is!    If it is misdescribed as you suggest you do not contact the seller but simply open a "return case" with the reason "Not as described".  Do not use the reason "does not fit" as that implies you got it wrong.   Do not take advice from the seller. 

Seller will send a label within 3 days.  Do not contact the seller or discuss.   If not escalate to eBay and you will probably get a refund.  If the label arrives then carefully pack up the item and return and when tracking shows delivery you should get a full refund

@nikolxj 

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Adding to the advice choose the reason " doesn't match discription or photos" for the return.

You will have to add a photo but it could be of anything.

That's because returns are automated and the AI can't see what's in the pics.

So if you can't take a photo just copy the photo in the listing and add that.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

A lot of clothing comes originally from China where sizes are 3 to 4 sizes smaller than UK.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Just to add to the advice already given, if the seller asks you to consider dropping the case in exchange for an item of the correct size, don't be taken in by it.  If the seller were to persuade you to close the case and something subsequently went wrong, whether it be a second item being sent that was also the wrong size, or the seller refusing to refund you after the case was closed, you would not be able to open another eBay case in relation to the same transaction.  Therefore, if the seller does try anything along these lines, just ignore it and press on with the case, escalating the matter to eBay if the seller becomes obstructive and it starts to look as though he/she will not issue a full refund.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Hi, the listing specifically lists it as a UK 12. Does that make a difference? The seller is not cooperating and still hasn't sent a return label, and I don't wanna fight if ebay will say 'well, it comes from china what did you expect?'. 

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

That will not happen. Carry on with the case and escalate if you need to after 3 days.

******************************************************************************************