e-bay postage estimate for return

I wish to return an item for which I am responsible for postage.

E-Bay is asking me to pay them £7.38 for a return label when Royal Mail cost is £4.20 for a signed for parcel of under 2 Kilogrammes weight.

I cannot find my way through the e-bay sytem to return the package to the seller without buying an e-bay label.

I would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks

Gill

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

If you're responsible for the return postage in this case, such as for a change of mind return, and it would be cheaper for you to return the item to the seller via Royal Mail instead of sending the item back using an eBay label which you will have to pay for then I would advise you to go for the Royal Mail option, so long as you were sending the item back using a fully tracked postal service, such as Royal Mail First (or Second) Class Signed For.  However, should you decide to go for the Royal Mail postage option then contact eBay Customer Services and provide them with the Royal Mail tracking number in relation to the item that you've returned to the seller, as an eBay representative will need to input the Royal Mail tracking number into the case manually.

If you do decide to send the item back via Royal Mail then in order to contact eBay Customer Services click on the Policies link at the bottom of this page.  When the Policies page appears on the screen scroll right down to the bottom of the page and you'll see a mobile phone icon on the left hand side of the screen next to the words "Have Us Call You", with an estimated waiting time beneath it.  Have the item listing number to hand so that you can give this to the eBay representative when you receive a phone call from eBay, as this will enable him or her to locate the case details faster.  The eBay representative can then manually adjust the tracking details so as to ensure that the tracking number of the eBay Returns Label is replaced with the tracking number given on the Royal Mail postage label.

Finally, with regards to contacting eBay Customer Services, the best time to contact them is first thing in the morning, as that's when you've got the best chance of getting through to an eBay representative who actually speaks English as his or her first language.  The lines open at 8:00am and close at 10:00pm.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

tobiasd4
Experienced Mentor

Buy tracked postage at PO, then contact ebay to update tracking number on to case.

If it's under £20 normal postage is fine, POP will have 16 digit reference, this counts as tracking.

Advanced search | eBay

Thank you. The difficulty is getting around the ebay system. I am hearing impaired so rely heavily on the written word.
EBay's algorithms make it difficult.
Problem has now been solved and the seller was brilliantly helpful too.