Do I have any protection as buyer if I pay by bank transfer?

I have bid and won an auction where the buyer has paypal as an option as well as cash on collection but wnats to be paid via bank transfer. Do I have any buyer protection of I pay by this method?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

No. But you don't need protection. You pay the seller only once you've fully examined the item and are happy with it.

Collection items should never be paid for by PayPal, as it isn't safe for either party. Aways pay in cash or by bank transfer.  And the latter is preferable at the moment, as everyone is wary of handling cash. This may well be why the seller is requesting it, but he shouldn't be expecting you to pay in advance if that's what he's doing.

@dymphna73 

As you have won the auction, have the seller provided you an address for you to go and inspect? Or is he saying he wants payment before you go?

The Scammers favourite method of payment, once you have paid it is irreversible.

If it is collection you should, go and inspect and if happy pay in cash. If it is a scam you will not hear from the seller again.

No, if it's an expensive item you should use your credit card with Paypal, if possible.

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

It would have helped to know what sort of item you're buying, and the value.

When items are collected there are risks for both parties, so both the buyer and seller need to consider each other's situation.

If the sellers asks for payment by bank transfer this would leave you with no protection, just as paying by cash does, but without even the opportunity to inspect the item before paying.

On the other hand, if you pay by PayPal it's the seller who's left with no protection. Being unable to prove postal delivery leaves the seller exposed to an easy scam by which the buyer can have the payment reversed, even weeks or months later.

Because of this, for an for items of any significant value the fairest method of payment for both parties is cash on collection, after the buyer has inspected the item.

pay cash on collection only,