regulatory operating fee

Hi Just an update I just got an email from Ebay conserning a Regulatory Operating Fee does this mean that the fees are increasing again just wondering I tried to understand the message to no availe left me a wee bit confused. and has anyone else had the same message

Kind regards

Robert

Message 1 of 30
See Most Recent
29 REPLIES 29

Re: regulatory operating fee

@magpiecorner1 wrote:

The update hasn't been sent to private accounts yet.

In fact, there is a drop down showing 'viewing as a business seller' and a statement that all the reviews may not apply to private sellers.

Can't imagine eBay passing on the opportunity though.

Has now! I've just received the email too about this. Not great, seems like this new fee won't be included in the 80% promo.

Message 21 of 30
See Most Recent

I totally agree with you, it's just not a justified fee but eBay have never cared about being fair especially to sellers.

Message 22 of 30
See Most Recent

I just calculated - I might be wrong - but based on a GMV of $70 biliion, which is a bit less than eBay made last year, would raise near $250 million.   Per annum.  Well, mebbe not, it doesn't start on eBay.com until $10 sales - then again they getting a 25% rise in the fixed price, so with that it could be an under estimate!

Must be a tricky job to write computer programmes these days, either that or a canny lump into eBay's gross profit margin!    Certainly puts a $59 million fine into perspective!

As my Nana used to say, which I was a fiver behind them.

Message 23 of 30
See Most Recent

Yes it has, I received it today, it applies to ALL sellers, yet ANOTHER tax on something which won't actually cost ebay much to do in the first place.

Message 24 of 30
See Most Recent

@smiller299 

eBay sold Gumtree in 2020.

Message 25 of 30
See Most Recent

Excellent point. We took the plunge with a website 4 years ago and it's the best business decision we ever made.

2.5% card fees? Shop around it can be substantially cheaper than that.

Message 26 of 30
See Most Recent

@plumbinggear2012 wrote:

Excellent point. We took the plunge with a website 4 years ago and it's the best business decision we ever made.

2.5% card fees? Shop around it can be substantially cheaper than that.

Even 2.5% card fees would be way preferable to eBay's 12.8%, soon to be 13.15%, fees for the transaction (not including the +30p or the promoted listing fees).

I've always said that eBay should set the fees for privates as a flat 5% to try and get more people to sell on eBay, then they wouldn't need to offer the promos every so often to selected people only (and therefore people who don't get it wouldn't feel left out). But instead, after the HMRC reporting thing to scare away a lot of privates who don't want to have to deal with self-assessment tax reports, eBay have doubled down and increased their fees further - IMO thisis not a good move and will drive users away to alternatives that charge less fees (if any) and are also fairer on sellers.

I'm going to keep going as is, only listing on 80% off (or similar promotions) when it makes sense to list something, and if I go over any limits and HMRC decide that I owe them tax, they'll contact me and I'll have to pay it. I doubt that HMRC will have enough staff or man/woman-hours to puruse everyone who goes over the £1000 selling limit, or £6000 capital gains limit, by a small insignificant amount.

Message 27 of 30
See Most Recent

What a shocker, something going up. We`ll just add that to the other 50 things going up in April 🤔

Message 28 of 30
See Most Recent

Just took all my advertising off this site no more £3-500 PM some ebay sellers probably need to look at there accounts like me and really see what profit they are making i could not believe most sales breaking even or really small profit. Ebay is scamming us even when you get to your sale page there are 10-20 adverts underneath showing cheaper deals it's impossible EVEN TO COMPETE PLUS CHINESE SELLERS ON HERE.

Message 29 of 30
See Most Recent

I think you're probably doing the right thing there.

I've come across your products on several occasions and think you have a reputable brand going.

Most likely not worth chucking a lot of cash at ads within eBay it's self. It's hard to find quality aftermarket toner (that really works and has been verified) at a good price.

There will always be hordes of people looking for the absolute cheapest option and they will get rubbish leaky toners that font melt at the correct temperature etc.

Message 30 of 30
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: