Where do I stand from a legal point of view on a snad return?

I sold a gearbox on my business account for nearly £1000. 

This was from my own personal vehicle that I used right up until it was dismantled and in full working order.

Buyer opens a snad return after a week stating it wasn't tested and nothing more. 

I explain that it was in full working order and how I know this (because it was my daily driver).

He then advises he took the clutch out of it and fitted it to his gearbox and that it was noisy. 

Ebay are asking me to pay for the retun of the gearbox?! Even though he has admitted on messages he has removed a part from it and altered it??

I just spoke to the and they told me I have to facilitate the return no matter what?!

Where do I stand with this please? He hasn't even said whether the clutch has been put back in mine? and the images he sent me of the box on the floor is missing the gearbox pipes as well?

So will be partially sent back. 

Ebay said they look into his account to see if he's a repeat offender wen it comes back, if he isn't what then?

Surely this isn't legal? 

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Have a read of the Distance Selling Laws. It will be very hard for you not to accept the return.

Accepting returns and giving refunds: the law - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

adding to the advice already given -

"a legal point of view"

Never take legal advice from general forums, always seek it professionally.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

@navy_blue wrote:

I sold a gearbox on my business account for nearly £1000. 

Unless the buyer purchased using a business account that makes it a business to consumer sale. The law is overwhelmingly on the buyer's side.

@navy_blue wrote:

Where do I stand with this please? He hasn't even said whether the clutch has been put back in mine? and the images he sent me of the box on the floor is missing the gearbox pipes as well?

So will be partially sent back. 

You need to send a pre-paid return label. If the buyer returns the item in a different condition to what you sent it in (or returns a different item altogether) come back here for further advice. Do not rely on anything eBay's customer service reps tell you - you are dealing with an automated system and unless you follow the correct procedure you will end up out of pocket no matter what eBay's CS reps tell you.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: