This just doesn’t seem right

So I buy some stuff. The seller had listed a number of bundles and part of my order was sent to someone else and I received theirs. So in order for me to generate a label to return I had to open a wrong item received.

The items were sent back and today the correct items arrived. All good...

There was no option anywhere to close the request/case. Only for eBay to step in to resolve.

So I contacted eBay to close the case on my behalf. Then to find out that eBay had closed the case in my favour. Why...

I got my items..I'm happy...

Surely this is wrong. How was I not able to close the case myself. There was no option anywhere that I could see.

To me I got the correct items and it was resolved.....

Surely we should be able to sort this out ourselves

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

It's a problem

Unfortunately, eBay have automated cases, so that once the tracking shows the items have arrived back with the seller you are auto-refunded, and you can't return parts of an order if only part is wrong, or you get the whole lot refunded.

eBay have not factored in pathways for these situations. The only way it to do it outside of ebay, and you both need to trust each other in that situation. Hard when both are strangers. 

You can contact the seller and repay them - I am sure he will be thankful that you are honest and didn't just pocket the refund and disappear. Nice to see faith in human nature restored. 

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

He was a brand new seller and I did it this way to keep everything above board. I had no idea that I was not able to cancel the case as a buyer and have never been in this situation before and I might have thought twice about opening the case in the first place.

Apparently he did not lose out but I do not feel that I was entitled to a courtesy refund and told the agent who I spoke to that it was not right. I got the correct items and was happy...

Surely EBay can create a button to cancel a case if need be...

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

There should have been an option to cancel the case, perhaps there was a timing issue with the auto cancellation by ebay?

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

It is possible to close a case.  When I have an INR and the item arrives, I ask the buyer to close the case.  I then get an email saying something along the lines of 'Your buyer has closed the case.  Thank you for working with the buyer to resolve the issue'.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: