Royal mail weight on labels

In the last few days all my Royal mail labels show 0.001kg as the weight when the up to 100g was paid for, all the packages are 17-30g are they all going to come back or the customer charged for under weight ?

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

If you pay for up to 100g and the item is 30g then 30g falls in the 'up to 100g' bracket.  Why would they charge you for being under the paid for weight? 🤔

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

By rights you should be fine, as long as they are in the correct size eg letter, large letter etc.

However you should put the correct weight on the label.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

Is this a perminant change by Royal Mail?

If so I'm not happy as in the past I have been able to fight off "empty packet/parcel" claims from dubious buyers by pointing out the recorded weight of the packet once handed over the counter and weighed by post office staff.

Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

I have hand written the correct weight on the labels so fingers crossed

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

Because for years I have been able to enter the correct weight before the label is created, now it defaults to up to 100g but prints 0.001g ie 1 gram I have hand written the correct weight on the labels so fingers crossed

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

@radio_fix wrote:

In the last few days all my Royal mail labels show 0.001kg as the weight when the up to 100g was paid for, all the packages are 17-30g are they all going to come back or the customer charged for under weight ?

I have been using ebay labels for a few months now and they always show 0.001. You can add a real number, a guessed number or leave it as is and nothing bad will happen as you paid for the upto 100g postage. I usually put 40g in as most of my packages are that weight - I also do the same on Amazon. But on etsy it defaults to 0.1kg and I just leave it at that.

I do put everything in a postbox though - if I were handing it over a post office counter they might want correct weight.

All my items still arrive with customers and 70% get a largeletter scan.

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

I had a similar isue today and last week.

Last week the PO pointed out that my 600g package had a label saying 100g. That's weird I thought, as i'd weighed it. How come I made the mistake of buying the wrong label?

Turns out not me fault. This morning I bought a label for 2nd class up to 750g, but when the label printed it said the default 100g. I had to pay more (again) which eats into my revenue.

eBay suggested I take it up with Royal Mail. Whispering in a hurricane I replied. It's down to eBay who manage the platform and have the relationship (and the weight - no pun intended) to have an actual conversation to set this right. Otherwise I'll go to Evri every time.

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

I bought a label last month for up to 100g without a problem - it showed 100g as the weight.
I've done the same again today but the Post Office refused to accept it because the label showed 0.001kg (1g) instead of 0.100kg (100g).
It meant I had to cancel the original label and seek a refund from eBay and pay for a new label, which I've had to manually adjust to get the correct weight.
I assume it means the eBay default weight has been changed from the maximum weight for that range to the minimum. One to check and amend going forward, which is a nuisance!

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

@tyke30 wrote:

I assume it means the eBay default weight has been changed from the maximum weight for that range to the minimum. One to check and amend going forward, which is a nuisance!

This sounds like a coding mistake by eBay as even an empty letter envelope would weigh at least 6 - 7 grams; it simply wouldn't be possible to send something that weighed 1g in total. 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

I normally use the post box so no issue with acceptance.  If I use our local post office they will not accept an eBay label with a lower weight showing - even if the correct weight is actually paid for.

Might just be my local office, but I rarely do it because its a pain.

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

@indigo-island wrote:

I normally use the post box so no issue with acceptance.  If I use our local post office they will not accept an eBay label with a lower weight showing - even if the correct weight is actually paid for.

Might just be my local office, but I rarely do it because its a pain.

Usually if a Post Office counter accepts an item any problems Royal Mail finds with underdeclared weight, the item being oversize etc. are the Post Office's problem as they accepted the item. Without a Post Office acceptance scan any problems are entirely the sender's. If the sender has a business account they are typically surcharged; if the sender didn't pay via an account the recipient receives a "Fee to pay" card.

Note that - where non-account retail services are concerned - Royal Mail are likely only interested in the correct postage being paid for the size and weight band the item falls into. A 100g Letter costs the same as a 30g Letter whilst a 100g Large Letter costs the same as a 750g Large Letter etc.

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

I wasn't suggesting under weighing the items, and therefore trying to  pay less - incase you thought that was what I meant.

I meant if the label shows say 1g large letter but you've actually paid for 100g large letter - my post office wouldn't accept it.  But obviously my post box would - and then nothing bad would happen as you've paid the correct amount.  Happens sometimes with eBay labels.

Doesn't happen with click and drop labels which i use 99.9% of the time.

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

@indigo-island wrote:

I wasn't suggesting under weighing the items, and therefore trying to  pay less - incase you thought that was what I meant.

No, I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. As mentioned, this looks like a *bleep*-up by eBay's programmers.

I was pointing out that for retail services Royal Mail uses the size and weight to calculate the postage amount; both these measurements are banded. The maximum weight for a Letter is 100g so if you send something Letter-sized but only declare 1g you still pay the same as you would if it had been declared as 100g. The postage is therefore not underpaid so the recipient should not receive a "Fee to pay" card. 

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: