Royal Mail.......lost items!!!!!

Hi, has anyone noticed an increase in UK Royal Mail packages going "missing" recently. In the last 2 days I have had 3 different buyers claiming item has not arrived. One looks genuine as it is Recorded Delivery which has not arrived. The other 2 are fairly low value First Class items and of course I have no way of knowing if  this is genuine or not.

Prior to this (I have "lost" a few international parcels) but only 1 UK parcel last year went astray and never turned up.

Anyone else having problems with this?

Message 1 of 1,017
See Most Recent
1,016 REPLIES 1,016

Re: Royal Mail.......lost items!!!!!

@wavesales wrote:

Yes, if you have been using the Royal Mail, that is the problem it is very strange some items sent in this turmoil have been received in a couple of days but I sold a router 18 days ago that was sent recorded delivery and it has only just been received.

I don't do international anymore, I used to but it is far too risky these days.

Not strange.

Royal mail develops backlogs at this time of year.

Their approach to backlogs is to do the normal day's work in full. Then if any spare capacity / overtime after that they start on their backlog on a last in / first out basis. So today they will clear today's work and if capacity will start on yesterday's backlog. Then when that is clear deal with Wednesday's backlog and so on.

Means stuff that ends up in backlog can be in it for weeks. I've stuff from 28th that has started to be delivered this week, some of it still not delivered.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 981 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Yes I agree. It's shocking . As a buyer I've had a parcel lost? Sender resent the item then both arrived on the same day. Another sent next day signed for 11.12 22 at sender's own cost. Still not arrived. Checked tracking . Royal mail said no information until its out for delivery. They don't know where it is. Don't waste your money. Use another carrier. I will not be buying anymore it's sent via royal mail.

Get Outlook for Android<>
Message 982 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I have just had a claim against me. I sent the items 2nd class as requested and obtained proof of posting sending it to the buyer along with photo proof. Today eBay gave her a full refund and I'm out of pocket on 2 items by £40 plus postage

No proof she hasn't had it either and possibly getting my goods and money back

How is this fair?

I'm not a business just trying to cover my fuel bills.

Scared me right off eBay

Message 983 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I learned in 2008 not to send untracked.

Always sent tracked since and not had any problems.

Strikes, cbyer attacks etc all mess with smooth running of the post.

Message 984 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Yes, I have just had 3 missing items not delivered by Royal Mail. 

Last year I probably had 1.  what is going on?

Message 985 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I always have proof of posting, so then have to make a claim against Royal Mail, which is a real pain as you have to show proof of postage and proof of costings from E.Bay site.!!

Message 986 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Proof of posting is not proof of delivery so Ebay will always side with the buyer if you can't prove delivery.

You could have covered your loss by claiming off RM.

Message 987 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Hi

I have had 2 pieces of jewellery go missing the last pice i sent 2 weeks ago not through ebay but still using royal mail this had a value of £200 , i have been told because i only used 1rst class signed for i used the wrong service so not a penny compensation a complete disgrace to the name of royal.

As long as i live i will not even by a stamp of royal mail and i urge people to use Evri or Yodel atleast with them you no where your items are at all times, with royal mail them or me have no idea where it is , litrally made me ill this last 2 weeks they are absalutlry usless and i would like all sellers to know that you can only send jewellery by special delivery with royal mail which cost over £8 any over service you use with them if you take to the post office is not covered for a penny and there is no tracking what so ever .

I hope people read this as royal mail is a acient company that can not be trusted.

Message 988 of 1,017
See Most Recent

If it's high value for mine I send tracked delivery, although I get mine collected at my door and scanned. 

“What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.”
Message 989 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Who is going to pay over £8 for postage costs on ebay ?? if my parcel was a thousand pound yes i would have used special delivery but it was £200 , My fault that they have took food of my table for the next month ,and that they havent got a clue where it is, i just read that 957.000 parcels have gone missing this year with royal mail and some surveys say up to 8 million parcels and letters go missing every year and that offcom are investigating them , I am not saying these figures are correct but these are proffesional surveys that have been done.

You might be rich enougth to pay over £8 everytime you send a item but theres millions of us that put there faith and trust in royal mail that can not afford that amount , if a company uses the name royal it should be spotless not dodgy which it clearly is look at the satistics and then tell me its my fault .

The worst company in the UK , like they say live and learn and i have learnt never to trust royal mail with even a stamp in my life again.

Message 990 of 1,017
See Most Recent

You cant make a claim for any jewellery unless you send by special delivery , there is no tracking with them untill the parcel is delivered .if lost or stolen they will not give you a penny and have no idea where it is.

But you can use Evri or yodel for a fraction of the price and no excactly where your parcel is 24/7 try them there brilliant you would never use royal mail again .

Message 991 of 1,017
See Most Recent

This is due to Dropshippers doing dropship item from the sellers and then create false claim to get refunds.

Be aware of those buyers. Do not accept orders from the new 0 rating sellers.

If it continues, maybe we lose our account to sell. This will increate our INR reports/claims. Always include eBay in these matters. to help us with these new buyers.

Message 992 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Thank for that but i dont care if its 1 parcel or a thousand parcels or ten million parcels , when its taking food of my table when majority of us are struggling to make ends meet then thats all i care about , my issues are when sending parcels from the post office and then go missing , i do not sell to anyone with 0 feedback , but thank you for the feedback.

Message 993 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I'm sorry, but if you have something worth £200 you should be sending special delivery. If you sent 1st Class or 2nd Class signed for then the bump up to special isn't that far. What £4... What's your profit margin on the item?

Just looking at your items, I would not buy from you on some items as I don't think you are taking your postage seriously enough. I suggest you build special delivery into your pricing structure of anything over 75 declare that in your listing "I will send everything next day delivery".

Message 994 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I use Royal Mail and do use Special Delivery at times for jewellery.

Sending jewellery and more expensive items  by the correct postal method is for your own protection.   IF i sold an item or for that matter purchased an item for a few hundred pounds then yes i would expect my buyer or myself if buying to pay for Next Day Special.    I would be very concerned if a seller was sending an expensive item to me by any other means.

IF you send an expensive piece of jewellery by Evri by a cheap postage method i fear they too would refuse to compensate you properly.    Not sure about Yodel as i never use them.

Yes as you quite rightly say a fair few items do go missing in the post......again another reason to make sure you send them by the correct postal method.     Personally i will not take the risk of not being properly compensated.

Message 995 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Your items are on Buy It Now.   What do you do if someone with 0 feedback buys an item?

Depending on your reason for cancellation you could be giving yourself a very damaging defect on your account.

Message 996 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I believe compensation is up to £20 normal post and £50 Signed For so you are not covered for compensation even  if were not sending jewellery.

R/Mail are rubbish at compensation, they are both judge and jury, there is no independant body to appeal too and so many hoops to jump through PLUS if they do pay they only pay costs and refund postage NOT the retail cost of the item. The cost in time it takes to make a claim out-weighs the cost of low value items and there are better ways to send higher value stuff other than the bog standard R/Mail services

Use R/Mail at your peril  !!!!!!!

Message 997 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Hi Thank you for the feedback , like i said i would not ever use royal mail again my last 2 items that have gone missing have been jewellery which is very concerning.

You can use Evri and insure your parcel for up to £999 but even if you send with Evri next day or 3 to 5 days you can track this 24/7 they print the label for you and they will collect or drop off.

Last week i had a parcel to send 3.7k i sent with Evri it cost me £3.57 !! it got there within 3 days and i could track every min of the day.

Yet if i take the same weight parcel to royal mail anything other 2 kilo is just under £9 and this takes over a week to get ther if it does get there and you have no idea where your parcel is , i would rather give the buyer a chance to buy the item with less postage than to pay royal mail as i have every faith in Evri where it is like pulling my teeth out sending with royal mail or should i call them rip of mail !.thx

Message 998 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I give my buyers a option to upgrade to evri next day which you can insure for up to £999.

If you list a item say £100 jewellery you can not ecpect buyers to pay over £8 and if you offer free postage  after fees highlighting vat etc there is hardly nothing left for the seller , so i give my buyer the chance to send by a cheaper option a service that i can track 24/7 and sleep at night knowing it is going to get there.

If my item is a few hundred pounds i would upgrade with Evri for insurance next day ,rather pay them than royal mail.

There is other 1.000 posts on here of people that have had parcels gone missing with royal mail some have many go missing.

My issue is when i have parcels go missing it is allways jewelery does that sound right to you , to me it is very worrying and concerning that you can not trust a company with the name of royal  in it not to loose your parcel.

Royal mail are a rip off and have put 20 years on my life in the last 2 weeks, and if you have a problem try to call them they havent got a clue and take over a hour to answer the phone , you know why its full of people complaning with lost mail.

I apprciate what you are saying but you have 2 pieces of jewellery go missing with no help what so ever from royal mail and then lts see what you have to say.

Thank you

Message 999 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Then royal mail should not drop parcels outside your door or on the dustbin or on top of the car without tellig you .

My items have gone missing in the sorting offices funny how it is always jewellery i wonder why.

Message 1000 of 1,017
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: