Regulatory operating fee

Cheers eBay. An extra 8p to pay (Inc vat) per £20 sale (40p per £100). 

The rinsing people's pockets continues. 

Oh as for the rest of the stuff in the update email today..... Something about being able to create a sale section in shops and forcing people to have more generic tips on how to sell the items quicker. Amazing. 

Message 1 of 139
See Most Recent
138 REPLIES 138

Regulatory operating fee

Had to laugh at the chirpy, cheery nature of their message before nonchalantly announcing yet another fee at the end of it.  Appalling.

Message 2 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

papso22
Experienced Mentor

What is confusing is that none of the published guidance says that it will only apply to business accounts, so the assumption must be that it's both business and private, and yet the the URL includes that the target group is B2C, so just business accounts. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sellercentre/news/2024-february/regulatory-operating-fee?targetgroup=B2C

marco@ebay   can you clarify whether this will only apply to business accounts?

Message 3 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

@papso22 wrote:

What is confusing is that none of the published guidance says that it will only apply to business accounts, so the assumption must be that it's both business and private, and yet the the URL includes that the target group is B2C, so just business accounts. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sellercentre/news/2024-february/regulatory-operating-fee?targetgroup=B2C

marco@ebay   can you clarify whether this will only apply to business accounts?

I would expect that most features in the email are being rolled out to all users such as the "drafts remaining for 75 days since last update" (which was actually implemented a few weeks ago)

Private (and "private") sellers will probably get a similar email.

Message 4 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

So, now that ebay are charging us for the privilege of them "enforcing regulations" (don't make me laugh!), are they going to use this latest money grab to cover the cost of actually enforcing the regulation of trading legally?

Message 5 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Hi @papso22,

Thank you for your question. This fee will apply to all sales on site, for both private and business sellers.

Private sellers can see more on fees here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sellercentre/selling/fees?targetgroup=B2C#reg. Just remember to switch to private seller on the top right of the page. 

Thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

At some point ebay's going to break the camels back, not sure when, but its getting close.

Shame really.

Message 7 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Just seen that, really unhappy. Closed the shop beginning of Feb mainly listing MVLs. Even though I have only just over a year to go before I can retire, I'm seriously considering giving up altogether when these new fees come in.

Message 8 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Only got this update on business accounts - although it isn't starting until April so time yet!

Occurred to anyone else that this is a licence to print money?   Annual or even quicker increases possible.

Message 9 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Ebay fees are so high now, last time I broke it all down the fees came out well over 20% and we have a basic shop and don't pay for advertising (I tried the next tier shop subscription and the fees came out even higher)! No wonder my websites sales are far higher than my ebay sales...2.5% processing fees mean I can offer a much, much better price, and considering that ebay don't want to promote my listings any more without extra fees on top, I may as well pay Google a much lower rate rather than ebays ecessive advertising fees. 

These fees are going to be the end of ebay, which is a shame as we've been using it for a long time, it used to be great! And fairly priced.

Also, there's so many international sellers on it now, that people can't even seem to find us. Ebay seems to be drowning in cheap tat from abroad.

Message 10 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

A disgrace - its all a one way street for Ebay and ways they can dream up to increase revenue

Message 11 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

I listed 6 items this morning.

Very little incentive to keep bothering.

Message 12 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Ebay used to be the place everyone went for a bargain, whenever I ask someone these days they just give you a funny look and say...'oh it that still going? I haven't bought anything on it for years'.

The fees have driven prices too high, it's no longer a cheap market place to buy from or sell on.

Message 13 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

On eBay.com this new fee come in at $10.

BUT they have increased the fixed fee from 30 to 40 cents.  I wonder how long before we see an increase.  Another straw?

Message 14 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Are you sure, no update on private accounts - and indeed some spiel stating not everything in the update will appy to private accounts. when you switch to private seller on the update.  Though can't see why they would include private sellers, though it would be courteous to let them know.

Message 15 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

'Regulatory operating fee'...sounds so official doesn't it...like they been made to do it. It's almost like a bunch of people have sat round a boardroom table and brainstormed what a new fee can be called and how it can be made to sound like they have no choice 🤔

Message 16 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

I am so over eBay

I have closed my shop and will end my listings the end of the month.

No sales because I am not paying anymore to promote, you soon get pushed to the back of the list when other sellers promote higher

Business sellers on private accounts with thousands of listings selling cheaper

More fees!

No thank you! 

Message 17 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Sorry...just really annoyed...can you tell?

Years ago ebay would charge a listing and final value fee. Seems fair.

Now I thought the point of ebay was to advertise our products (what else are they here for?) But now we have to pay for advertising on top? So, what IS the point of ebay?

And now another dreamed up fee on top that they'll increase over time.

Why am I still using ebay?

Message 18 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

I just can't understand it. eBay are losing a lot of money from private business accounts because of their fee promo. They know this all too well. Clamping down would generate a huge amount of income for them (some would leave eBay but a lot would just accept the fact they've rode their luck and now it's time for a business account, like that lad not long ago who was selling trainers and eBay forced onto a business account). Instead of doing so they hand them 0% fees for 2 months. Then another fee is added like this. 

Not that I could even be bothered to read much about it (I was too livid at extra fees) but is this a fee they take and keep regardless of returned items? So if something sold for £100 and this fee was 40p, when refunding the buyer it means 40p (and postage costs) out of pocket. 

Message 19 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Over the last 5 or 6 years it just seems to be one thing after another to rinse as much out of the seller as possible.

Some of the items I sell ebay makes more than I do. Trouble is there's others selling the same item for the same price so if I put up the price I wont sell any. (same for all my competitors I agree)

Tried the "Promoted Listings Advanced" on some of the cheper items and ended up paying more per click than I was making on the sale, on top of the selling fees.

Like the member above says " I thought the point of ebay was to advertise our products (what else are they here for?)"

If they want more profit why not try to sell more for us, that's how it used to work.

So now we put up our prices to cover this and as the costs are all on a precentage basis ebay make even more. 

Message 20 of 139
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: