Regulatory operating fee

Cheers eBay. An extra 8p to pay (Inc vat) per £20 sale (40p per £100). 

The rinsing people's pockets continues. 

Oh as for the rest of the stuff in the update email today..... Something about being able to create a sale section in shops and forcing people to have more generic tips on how to sell the items quicker. Amazing. 

Message 1 of 139
See Most Recent
138 REPLIES 138

Regulatory operating fee

Anonymous
Not applicable

i got this in my messages..

Learn about the new regulatory operating fee

Hi farmer-ned,

At eBay, we value you as a seller and want to inform you about a change to our fees.

To address the rising costs associated with the increasing number and complexity of regulations impacting eBay’s marketplace - including consumer and environmental protection, as well as new taxation and customs measures - we're introducing a new regulatory operating fee.

What’s changing?

From 8 April 2024, this new regulatory operating fee will apply to all sales from listings on the following sites: UK, Austria, Belgium, France, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, and Switzerland.

How the regulatory operating fee is calculated

This fee is calculated as a fixed percentage rate (0.35%) of the total amount of the sale (which includes the item price, postage, taxes and any other applicable fees), and is subject to Value Added Tax (VAT), where applicable. This fee is in addition to any final value fees and selling-related fees you currently incur.

For more information on the regulatory operating fee and to see how the fee will be calculated, please visit our Seller Centre page.

in my opinion this will just drive more sellers away from e bay  untill theres just the business sellers those thats left who havent fled to etsy,vinted or FB marketplace those trying to sell on e bay to suppliment low shop footfall,charities who get their stuff for nothing  and the big chinese sellers that e bay love and there you have it e bay becomes another amazon.

what with this and e bay grassing its sellers to HMRC 30 transactions a year doesnt make it viable               

its almost the end for the private seller & auctions.

im glad i got out before all this and just kept my account for buying i dare say many more will follow.

Light-Oak-Arran-p5xw96d218j6wml9hbzijo4ae328sfujgirieblekg.jpg

Message 121 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Good post, as you sell on multi-channel, do you find that Ebay gives you good value for those fees that you pay compared with others?

I think the main issue is business sellers on Ebay feel they are paying higher fees for a service that is becoming worse and worse with more and more issues. 

Not only that, private sellers continue to be gifted deals that business sellers can only dream about.

If we are vocal enough, and enough people demand change on the platform and do indeed start taking their business elsewhere, Ebay will have to adapt or it will end. 

Message 122 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

It is not just a requirement to register for self assessment, which is something not only businesses are required to do, anyone with property and shares does well to register.

There is no requirement to register as a sole trader.  Different thing altogether.  And I completely understand why HMRC have introduced this rule.

Message 123 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

I'm not sure whether I have a pyschological barrier meaning I'm comfortable to pay a certain amount in fees on each platform or if overall the platforms work out costing a similar amount.

I started on eBay.  I don't think any other platform would or could have facilitated the business I have.  As a result I have a certain loyalty and respect for eBay.  They are the platform who have a UK presence (that bit of understanding of the domestic market is very valuable), in the most part recognise we are a seperate country to America, they do communicate with sellers and whilst change isn't fast I feel they listen and we do get some change.  I get more involved with eBay than with other platforms but have done a few bits on others.  As a result I get more back maybe have been offered more opportunities to speak with people and feel more intouch.  I have styled my business to work on eBay and the fees are now making it just about my most expensive platform but it still stacks up.  They offer the best seller support of all the platforms I'm familiar with - I'm not saying its perfect and I've had the odd quite significant issue but they are significantly better than any other platform in this area - the bar is quite low.  I do agree it feels like there's been a lot of take lately (particularly with our extra percentage in jewellery) and would like to have a bit of push back, I've just posted on another thread about a bigger Top Rated Seller fee discount, if we're consistently bringing in repeat customers and have a low customer service overhead, shouldn' t we be rewarded and incentivise others to up their game.

Etsy is a good sales channel for me.  They do offer some seller development programmes.  I find elements of the platform absolutely infuriating.  They don't recognise any domestic issues, bank holidays, all our postage options (yet hold us to postage timescales), the promotions options are pay per click.  I had an abusive customer last week - accused me of accessing their bank account and taking two amounts.  They had made two orders.  Once I worked this out I explained to them what had happened and offered to cancel and fully refund one - which I did.  They then left two 1* reviews, returned the one item sent as they were so angry.  This is almost enough to knock me down from being an Etsy star seller.  Even though one of the orders was cancelled the buyer under federal law is allowed to have an opinion on the order according to Etsy.  Etsy encourage sellers to price to cover their costs where as eBay encourage to reduce, reduce, reduce.  Buyers on Etsy appear to be happy to pay more and my international sales are far greater than on eBay where I feel something hasn't been right for a while (could be my set up) with international visibility.  I struggle with sellers who are buying to sell on and that Etsy promote as handmade, when I'm a rule follower and my designs are actually my designs and production partners declared.  I also find the forums heavily moderated, I respect eBay allowing debate and expression of opinion.   Fees I'm paying including promotions are very close to eBay

Amazon I feel walk the tightrope between genius and evil.  I sometimes make the decision to pull off, others times start to push.  Presently I'm a bit on the fence.  Fees currently just under eBay for me.  I don't pay a lot of promotions and may do better if I did.  Staff are very hit and miss, communicating with Amazon is very hit and miss. 

Debenhams is a bit of an ego trip.  As someone who struggles massively with imposter syndrome, Debenhams makes me feel like a grown up with an actual business.  That has a certain value.  December was a great sales month and January not bad.  Fees were a bit under eBay.  The new fee is going to make subsequent quarters an interesting analysis.   I'll need a year under my belt to be able to review the actual annual fees.

Shopify I've only really worked on since the Autumn.  Fee's very low, don't do any paid promotion.  I watched a shopify learning webinar the other day and its suggested that sellers pay a minimum of 10% turnover in paid advertising, 20% is typical and 25-30% is usual if looking for growth.  Thats a lot higher than I'm paying on eBay and its pay upfront not a guarantee of sales.  My organic is slowly building traction - I need to be more social and get on social media regularly as well as looking at paid promotion.  I'm taking on an apprentice in the summer and they're doing a social media marketing course so this is on the cards.  Not a lot of free support for paid advertising available - so its risk money.

The marketplaces the majority of fees are paid from sales income - eBays fixed/ variable non sale related overhead is low if you're not using promoted advanced so the risk is lower - lower risk also has a value to me.

Message 124 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

I've never been a private seller on Ebay,  but it seems to me that a business seller sells  new AND/OR used items, while anything for sale by a private seller is by definition "PRE-OWNED".   It may be in a pristine sealed box, never used, but it has been owned by at least one private individual (the seller), so it is NOT "new". 

As far as Ebay fees being charged VAT, the HMRC website states that "Financial services including the issue, transfer or receipt of, or dealing with money, securities for money or orders for the payment of money" are exempt from VAT.  However, on a majority of my international sales, Ebay charges me an additional "International Fee" of 1.2% based on the full price paid, and all then all Ebay fees are then charged VAT.

If an international fee is being charged because the foreign buyer paid in a different currency, then I can understand Ebay charging me a bit for that, but in that case it should be exempt from VAT, right ?

Message 125 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

This latest fee involves a small amount of money per £100. What irks me is that rather than just add 0.35% to FVFs, given there's been a recent rise to the jewellery category sellers in other areas have been expecting something, ebay has chosen to introduce a completely new fee. Yet another avenue opened up that can be periodically tweaked to take more money from sellers. 

Message 126 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

On Amazon to sell new you have to have wholesale receipts.  You can't buy from a discount store and sell on.  You need a traceable supply chain and to offer full consumer protection (plus whatever whim a customer service advisor offers the customer)

Message 127 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Strange, I never supplied a wholesale invoice to Amazon when I was selling on there. For me the fees where less than ebay and the sales were much better. If they had not decided to put me through full verification for the 3rd time I would still be there. With no acceptable photo ID too many hoops to jump through especially as I was still recovering from a major op.

Anyway, I'm now winding down my business and come April 2025 I can retire. 

Message 128 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

@leadhills_scot getting away with breaking rules, and rules not existing are not the same thing.  Platforms have so many (rules), its easy to accidentally fall foul.  Amazon automations for resolving issues, in my limited experience, are not flexible when this occurs.  All their process' involve automated hoops, that aren't terribly logical - agonising isn't it!

Message 129 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

@ojewellery wrote:

I'm not sure whether I have a pyschological barrier meaning I'm comfortable to pay a certain amount in fees on each platform or if overall the platforms work out costing a similar amount.

I started on eBay.  I don't think any other platform would or could have facilitated the business I have.  As a result I have a certain loyalty and respect for eBay. 

Completley agree with this, I started on Ebay too and am still predominantly Ebay but when I look at the other options out there (like own website) and compare running costs and fees its insanely cheaper on a website, its whether or not you are willing to pay a huge percentage of your profit for the customers Ebay bring, but customers are leaving Ebay in significant numbers enough to worry all of us.

I started on Ebay with the Beanie Baby boom of all things, a bit off topic but I can remember the days when people would charge you extra 3-5% on top of the sales price if you wanted to pay via paypal! 

There was no way of paying via card like there is now, I remember waiting days and weeks for postal orders, cheques and even foreign currency cash to come through the post.

Its funny, but those days despite being hugely inconvenient were the better times!

I have loyalty and respect for Ebay but I want this to be a two-way arrangement and I don't think anyone who is a business seller can realistically say that their voices are being listened to, heard and acted on. Still waiting for feedback on the broken search functionality.

My respect is lessening as each new function or fee is drip fed onto the site and in turn my loyalty is diminishing with it.

Message 130 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

I agree with what your saying but in some areas I'm a little less positively reminiscent.

In particular I remember cheques through the post less nostalgically.  I started eBaying everything not bolted down when I found myself as a single parent with a one year old and disabled three year old.  When a check arrived, advice was to pay it in and send once payment cleared, you marked payment received etc manually.  I lived rurally not near a bank, but near a post office.  As no income couldn't open a post office account so could only make it to the bank to pay in a check if someone drove me and the children.  Sometimes they bounced  but it was too late the customer had their stuff by then, I couldn't realstically sell and make them wait 4 weeks to pay in and another for a check to clear.  There was no real recourse and the whole process was really admin heavy.  Many elements of the platform were less automated and hence required more manual effort.  Lots of bits were good/ some bits better, but it wasn't all great - if we really reflected we'd probably be able to remember more of the old issues long forgotten.  Society and the platform have moved on.

@vintagewatchpart wrote:

I don't think anyone who is a business seller can realistically say that their voices are being listened to, heard and acted on.

In the jewellery category I've been involved in voicing my opinion on two areas that have subsequently changed.  I can't claim credit - no doubt not the only opinionated sole to voice the issues, but I know I took the time/ made the effort to feel heard.  These are the addition of 9ct gold in fine jewellery on eBay UK and hallmarking being recognised as part of UK authenticity guarantee. 

Search being broken is such a massive topic, I don't know how it could even be broken down to constructively ask to be addressed.   But we can never assume because something is absolutely obvious to us, others can see it or understand it in the same way.  

Message 131 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

I did check myself, nowhere does it actually say what you said though, well not where I could find it thats why I asked as you said everything I typed was wrong so was wanting you to educate me.

Message 132 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

'I did check myself, nowhere does it actually say what you said though' 

And yet

'When you need to set up as a sole trader

You need to set up as a sole trader if any of the following apply:

you earned more than £1,000 from self-employment between 6 April 2022 and 5 April 2023' 

and

'Who must send in a tax return

You must send a tax return if, in the last tax year (6 April to 5 April), any of the following applied:

you were self-employed as a ‘sole trader’ and earned more than £1,000 (before taking off anything you can claim tax relief on).

......'

and - to clarify why I mentioned 'self-assessment' when the wording above is 'tax return'

Self Assessment tax returns

Self Assessment is a system HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) uses to collect Income Tax.

Tax is usually deducted automatically from wages and pensions. People and businesses with other income (including COVID-19 grants and support payments) must report it in a tax return.

Everything in italics is  on thwritten on the GOV.UK site - I have altered only when wording is highlighted to move to another page!  

Message 133 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Ebay- an explanation as to why the UK has been lumped in with EU countries Austria, Belgium, France, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, and Switzerland.

..the increasing number and complexity of regulations impacting eBay’s marketplace - including consumer and environmental protection, as well as new taxation and customs measures..  Please provide access to the new regulation policies you are referring to here, they must exist somewhere...

Thank you.

Message 134 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

In the UK we had a Digital Service Tax introduced back in 2020, it went a bit under the radar as the world had bigger issues going on - in fairness to eBay they were bending over backwards, at that stage, to enable sellers to do what they needed to to keep going.  Lots of countries introduced similar and mostly it appears to be called a regulatory operating fee.

At the time of introduction eBay announced they would not pass this fee onto sellers: https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Announcements/Protecting-your-business-from-Digital-Services-Tax-cos...

Gov source:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/introduction-of-the-digital-services-tax/digital-services...

Message 135 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

@ojewellery wrote:

In the UK we had a Digital Service Tax introduced back in 2020, it went a bit under the radar as the world had bigger issues going on - in fairness to eBay they were bending over backwards, at that stage, to enable sellers to do what they needed to to keep going.  Lots of countries introduced similar and mostly it appears to be called a regulatory operating fee.

At the time of introduction eBay announced they would not pass this fee onto sellers: https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Announcements/Protecting-your-business-from-Digital-Services-Tax-cos...

So basically? From above: "We wanted to reassure you that we won’t do that, so you will not be charged additional new fees as a result of this tax."

Read as ""We wanted to reassure you that we won’t do that , so you will not be charged additional new fees as a result of this tax, AT LEAST NOT RIGHT NOW"

Message 136 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Good point . Probably 

Message 137 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

The other reason for registering for VAT when below the registration threshold is if most of the things you sell are zero rated or at rates lower than 20%.  I sell books (although a lot less than I used to) so UK VAT on them is 0%; I had a brief foray into collectable toys many years ago so that bit stopped completely when I registered.

Message 138 of 139
See Most Recent

Regulatory operating fee

Its just theft , like charging 10.67 % on postage when i only charge what royal Mail charge me

I cannot wait to sell off my stuff so i can be done with it all , its not like they are strapped for cash is it ?

Message 139 of 139
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: