Payment dispute- CHARGEBACK SCAM.....SELLERS BEWARE!!!!!!

Sellers Beware of the latest scam!!! 'Payment dispute- Chargebacks ', the buyer purchases your item, then files a chargeback against the pay-pal or credit card company . The money is then taken out of your account, plus fees and you have NO recourse!!! The buyer will come up with a lame excuse, item significantly not as described, not received, etc. more of the scammers are using this payment dispute scam to get the  item and the money back , is not safe to sale on eBay anymore as eBay and PayPal are in conflict and scammers know that so they use PayPal for payment dispute and eBay can’t do  anything for you but to chargeback your account this is happening more and more. BEWARE!!!!! We will start to see a trend...

Message 1 of 368
See Most Recent
367 REPLIES 367

@rightgrand wrote:

Do ebay use 3D secure though?  I don't think I've ever seen it, despite paying directly with a card since long before the MP change.

My most recent purchases via eBay were using a corporate card; as chargeback protection is generally limited to consumer cards I wasn't surprised by the lack of a 3DS prompt. However, if eBay has intentionally turned off the option to perform 3DS checks any claims for unauthorised or fraudulent use should be entirely their responsibility. 

3DS2 becomes a mandatory requirement for payment service providers (i.e. Adyen) operating in the UK from 4th March 2022. The newer version is intended to be seamless (i.e. it doesn't rely on pop-up windows etc.) and can be easily integrated into mobile apps. Hopefully, eBay will do the sensible thing and not turn the option for this version off or - if they do - to not hold sellers accountable for unauthorised/fraudulent use cases. 

Interestingly, the recent update to eBay's Payments Terms of Use (effective October 10th 2021) states:

"ECUK is authorized in the UK as a payment institution and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”), with firm reference number 925354."

Here's what the FCA have to say about Strong Customer Authentication (which encompasses 3DS/3DS2):

"We expect firms to continue to take robust action to reduce the risk of fraud. If a firm can apply SCA to an e-commerce transaction it should do so."

Hmmm.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 41 of 368
See Most Recent

I bet they don't bother with it.  From their selfish point of view, they want to have as little friction as possible between the buyer thinking about it and paying.  Speaking from my own experiences, I've definitely hesitated about buying something when I've had to physically pick up my wallet and get the card out - it's that psychological moment when the spending becomes real.  Buying is just plain impossible if you don't have the card with you.

Ebay get their cut from each sale, and sellers stand the losses from fraud, so they gain from having as little security as possible.  Any concerns are easily sorted with a few T&C changes.

These regulators seem to be doing their usual games of putting intentional loopholes in the rules, e.g. "If a firm can apply".  They could just claim they can't because of (insert feeble excuse here).  The regulator made a show of being concerned, nothing changed, everyone's happy.

They're up against Amazon, who I don't think have even checked the 3-digit code from the back of the card as that is not allowed to be stored, so if they asked for it they'd need the customer to have their card next to them.  I don't know whether they check it when a new card is enrolled nowadays, they certainly didn't in the past.  Again, presumably they've decided that the need to make buying simple outweighs the security advantage of checking it.

Message 42 of 368
See Most Recent

@rightgrand wrote:

They're up against Amazon

Who don't hold sellers liable for unauthorised/fraudulent use:

"

• You are responsible for chargebacks filed against your account for service-related reasons, such as non-receipt of the product
  • Amazon is responsible for any payment-related fraud chargebacks, such as stolen credit cards or other payment fraud attempts.

"

I think the FCA needs to sharpen it's stick and start pointing it squarely at eBay's rear.

I'd really like to know what eBay does with a buyer's account if they claim unauthorised/fraudulent use as this implies their eBay account was also compromised. Do eBay automatically restrict the account? What if the account had 2FA enabled during the purchase; do eBay consider this to be proof the transaction was authorised? And if not, why not?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 43 of 368
See Most Recent

Thanks for the Amazon terms, interesting.  But it's possible that Amazon are offering to cover sellers against card theft out of decency rather than because they have to.

We'll just have to see what happens I suppose, both in terms of security and who stands the loss in the event of fraud.  The indications so far are that security is not a big concern though.

The most expensive item I've bought recently on ebay was £260, using a personal credit card.  I don't think I was asked for any numbers and there was no popup 3D secure thing, I just selected the card from my stored cards.  I don't know what does or doesn't happen when a new card is enrolled, perhaps a bit more security is applied to this first transaction, I'm not sure.

Message 44 of 368
See Most Recent

fazl3h
Contributor

This has happened to me just today, I sold a digital code for a game and the buyer paid and is now disputing with their financial institution claiming he does not recognise the transaction when he has already redeemed the code. any advice would be much appreciated

Message 45 of 368
See Most Recent

Sadly, without proof of tracked delivery you will have to refund

That is why eBay only allow such codes (and other digital items) to be listed as classfied ads - not normal listings 

Classfied ads mean the buyer cannot open a case

Sadly you broke eBay listing rules when you listed in the wrong format so there is no seller protection for your listing

Link to eBay policy on electronically delivered items https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/digitally-delivered-goods-policy?id...

Message 46 of 368
See Most Recent

Just happened to me I think. Listed an item as auction, buyer asked for a BIN price and I declined, he then offered a good price if I'd do a BIN, so I accepted. I did the BIN via ebay...all above board and he paid there and then. I then bought postage via ebay and sent the item, tracked. He received the item and left glowing feedback!

3 weeks later the dispute arrives...I rebutt it with the tracking info but his bank finds against me so I'm now down 30 quid and no doubt will get a dispute charge as well.  Ebay's system is clear as mud when it comes to defending this case...do I want to wade in and get wound up about this or do I just accept it and put it down to experience?

This was not a consumer item but a collector's item with, I expect, a very limited market.  It beats me why he went to all the bother for the sake of 30 quid. It now makes me feel very wary about selling anything on ebay again. 

Message 47 of 368
See Most Recent

Oh, and guess what..he's now no longer a registered user!

Message 48 of 368
See Most Recent

Did the tracking show delivery to the address given in the payment details?

If it didn't show the item was delivered then the buyer gets refunded

Message 49 of 368
See Most Recent

I would definitely dispute it with eBay. When this happened to me, they
found in my favour and gave me my money back. In these cases, I believe the
buyer also gets to keep their refund, as well as the item they claimed not
to have received, and eBay actually take the hit! Although resolved to my
satisfaction, I don’t understand how this type of thing will ever stop
happening if eBay continues the aforementioned practice
Message 50 of 368
See Most Recent

fazl3h
Contributor

Ebay is a farce, I've had enough of this sh*t platform there's no 'seller protection' some mug can just buy your product and dispute it using their bank and they'll get their money back and you're left empty hand and some more... I'm taking my case to the financial ombudsman service because this is a joke. 

Message 51 of 368
See Most Recent

Yes, delivery is not disputed. He even gave me good feedback. The dispute was bia his bank as “transaction not recognised” which apparently banks always believe and refund automatically. They then claw back the payment from ebay who pay up without question as they can pass on the cost to the seller. 

Message 52 of 368
See Most Recent

Unfortunately the Chargebacks do not fall under FCA regulation, I've been in contact with them, your best bet is to contact the Financial ombudsman service and the Citizens Advice Bureau as I've been advised. Also get in touch with Action Fraud. And in extreme cases file a complaint with a smalls claims court.

Message 53 of 368
See Most Recent

I'm currently experiencing this. The buyer bought a motherboard from us 4 months ago and now has opened this claim with the bank and eBay stating the item was not as described and broken (even though they had been using it for 4 months). The worst part is I can't submit no evidence like the item specifics or description because ebay have deleted the listing due to it being over 90 days. I'm being set up to fail.

I've been on to eBay but there doesn't seem to be much they can do.

This buyer has broken all sorts of eBay conditions with false claims but they don't seem bothered about it.

So yeah, watch out sellers the buyers have found another way to screw us over with out consequences.

Message 54 of 368
See Most Recent

Happened to me last week. A buyer made a chargeback 5 months after ordering. The only reason I was given is "buyer had a problem with this transaction" and I now have to provide proof of delivery. I have tracking details but didn't add it on eBay at the time.  Now the tracking number wont work as it's so long ago. I phoned the couriers and they did confirm it's been delivered. I had to show a screenshot of the comparison site I bought the post from which shows the parcels journey and confirms it's also been delivered. Hopefully that's enough. 

Message 55 of 368
See Most Recent

fazl3h
Contributor

Hi guys, thanks for sharing your stories too. I would urge you to get in touch with the Ombudsman. The more they are aware of this the more they may be able to do something about it...clearly ebay just don't give a sh*t

Message 56 of 368
See Most Recent

If the buyer charges back and claims SNAD you are stuffed.

You will have to fund the return shipping to get the goods back.

Or you will have no option but just to refund and take it on the chin.

The buyer should of course use the ebay returns system.

Fortunately it does not happen too often. It happened with a customer that started a return then closed it - then decided to start a SNAD claim via paypal. And I was left with little option but to refund. Another did not know how the return system works on ebay and went direct to his bank. Annoying - but I build these losses into my postal charges - I make a £2 profit on every overseas order and this leaves me with money left over after all the failed sales and quirky buyers are refunded. So no need to complain - make the buyer pay for ebay and bank unfair system. 

Message 57 of 368
See Most Recent

I've just had another payment dispute through. 'Transaction not recognised' with full tracking, including a delivery photo, already available (Packlink so auto update agains eBay order). Spoke to CS who were sympathetic but advised the case would likely be found in favour of the buyer and I should raise an appeal via 'seller protection' once this is advised. As I have previous experience of this, I was aware that this was the case however, I did voice my opinion that eBay should be entering talks with banks/Paypal about the increasing level of this type of claim. I really don't understand how, if there is no claim that the eBay account has been hacked, a buyer can claim they don't recognise a transaction that was clearly delivered to them. Surely other retailers don't just take this type of claim lying down??? eBay is destined for bankrupcy if they continue to front the cost of these cases by refunding the seller and 'taking the hit' themselves. I fear for us all as this is just open season for scammers!!!

Message 58 of 368
See Most Recent

Go to the payment dispute - where it says enter tracking number or after you have entered it - if the transaction qualifies for seller protection it will tell you - if it does - the dispute will close in your favour

Message 59 of 368
See Most Recent

I've been told by CS I have to wait for the customers bank (or Paypal) to decide on the case before that can be done. My point is, unless the eBay account has been hacked, which only eBay and/or the buyer can prove, how can someone legitimately claim they don't recognise the transaction? I worry how long eBay will be in a position to provide seller protection for this type of thing as it definitely seems to on the rise and must be costing them a fortune. More worrying that they don't seem to have any mechanism to 'push back' on this type of claim (please note I'm not referring here to NAD or INR only transaction not recognised). Something's got to give!!

Message 60 of 368
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: