Parcel shop drop off sizes for Yodel issue

I've just dropped off some parcels at my Morrisons local and they have been told by their Yodel collection driver that they can't accept large parcels any more
I asked her to explain how big a larger parcel was and she said that one that was like a large shoe box was about as big as they could take.

I asked her to find out the dimensions of the largest they could accept and where it come from.

Apparently it is the manager at the Yodel depot that has fed it downstream through the collection driver, as they are complaining they can't make any money out of it (welcome to the club)
She said that we should be told that we could still use Yodel, but we have to sort a collection instead and shouldn't be more than about a fiver a time to have them collected.

Had an issue last week where they were told me no more than 2 large parcels a day, but they didn't know if that was 2 total for the shop or 2 per customer. They are now saying no large parcels at all??

This is when we are buying labels through Packlink integrated into eBay.

Anyone else has this issue yet?

anita@ebay 
marco@ebay 
katie@ebay 
dave@ebay 

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 1 of 39
See Most Recent
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Parcel shop drop off sizes for Yodel issue

Hi

Hi

I mentioned this today on the weekly chat and the post got removed as I was only allowed to ask one question?

My local shop will accept the Yodel parcels that are 120cm as the Yodel driver will take them.  However, I tried to drop off a parcel at Morrisons daily shop and they refused.   

As everyone has already mentioned the measurements on ebay packlink are different to the ones the shops are being told by Yodel.

I am going to mention this when I go to the roadshow and also the EDD'S.

Best wishes 

Message 21 of 39
See Most Recent

@lincolnshiremarine wrote:

Hi

Hi

I mentioned this today on the weekly chat and the post got removed as I was only allowed to ask one question?

My local shop will accept the Yodel parcels that are 120cm as the Yodel driver will take them.  However, I tried to drop off a parcel at Morrisons daily shop and they refused.   

As everyone has already mentioned the measurements on ebay packlink are different to the ones the shops are being told by Yodel.

I am going to mention this when I go to the roadshow and also the EDD'S.

Best wishes 

Same thing happened to me
eBay and/or Packlink need to update their shipping services so they do tell you the maximum sizes permitted that match what the courier says.
Right now the size Packlink sell you and say you can send is different to the size Yodel say they will take.

Tis ridiculous that I have highlighted this in the weekly chats and even made a thread about it, yet it remains the same...

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 22 of 39
See Most Recent

Hi, I was just told the same thing dropping off two eBay parcels at Sawston Co-op Yodel collection point. I paid for postage via eBay. The shop took thr parcels from me in the end but they've asked me to come back tomorrow because thry expect thr driver to refuse them. They are just over a metre but well under 120cm which was the length I paid for via eBay. 

Message 23 of 39
See Most Recent

Hi

I reported this issue to ebay at the Leicester ebay roadshow and I have reported this to the shipping team too.  I will let you know how I get on with regards this.  On the Yodel website it states parcel can not be any larger than 60x50x50, yet on the ebay packlink for Yodel it is 120x50x50.

We had to drop a parcel off the other day and not at the local shop we normally use, the shop refused to take it, so we had to drive back to our normal shop to take it, this was Yodel.  

Best wishes

Message 24 of 39
See Most Recent

How did you post it at the end?

Message 25 of 39
See Most Recent

I have exactly the same issue, the local Yodel store refuse to take the pacel. It is 117cm*10cm*10cm.

What can I do. The other options are way too expensive ...

Message 26 of 39
See Most Recent

Having the exact same issue, I have been told in multiple drop off stores that the dimensions are now 50x50x60, the yodel chat support and even CEO office has told me the same. 

And yet you can still purchase labels on packlink and other services like P2G for labels up to 120cm on one side. Its shambolic, eBay packlink have clearly brokered a deal with yodel to allow parcels larger than the standard size in order to be competitive with other services. Maybe someone should tell yodel and their drivers this. 

Message 27 of 39
See Most Recent

has anyone had any solution to this yet as had same issue today and yodel customer servcie said it's an issue to raise with ebay not them? My parcel was 83cm long but they say max now is 60cm but it was purchased via ebay which as well know, says 120cm long

Message 28 of 39
See Most Recent

Hi

I would report it to ebay by tagging in the community chat team. 

We had to resort to sending the larger items via Evri or DPD as we were refused Yodel parcels via Morrisons 

Best wishes 

Message 29 of 39
See Most Recent

The solution is to use Evri as they don't make difficulties about parcels up
to 120cm long, and their service is better than Yodel anyway. It costs a
few pence more, but there is much less hassle. Also our local Yodel
collection point are rude and unhelpful generally, so we have given up
altogether with Yodel and just use Evri for home deliveries and APC for
business
Message 30 of 39
See Most Recent

thanks - the odd thing? Evri didn't come up as an option on ebay parcel listing - just yodell or parcelforce - but i've just looked at parcel2go direct, and yes, evri would worlk, even though it's 8.5kg, utter cheating by ebay and yodel. Hopwfully can cancel the yodel label and whislt it's a faff to enter evri manually and not via platform, i guess it's only way. So bad

Message 31 of 39
See Most Recent

gets even better - so evri do not show on the main postage page, but if you click the link saying "this link will soon be disabled as all postage couriers are shwn below" (which they are NOT) - then it takes you to the link and evri IS there...but £1 dearer than going via parcel2go. Will have to keep an eye on this!!

Message 32 of 39
See Most Recent

My solution was to insist that the Co-op take the parcel, which involves scannimg the barcode - then even if the driver were to refuse it, it would be logged as sent and Yodel would be forced to compensate me if it was not delivered. The shop were happy with this solution as I promised to call in and take the parcel back if it was refused, so it didnt get left in their store indefinitely. Happily it was not refused, and I haven't had any problems since (I've since sent another 5 parcels over 110 cm). I think it's just drivers taking a chance to pressure shop staff.  Be gently persistent with thr shop staff, tell them you are willing to take the risk of it being refused. Otherwise, there is no way to get your money back. 

Message 33 of 39
See Most Recent

You can import platform orders into EVRi.  Once you've set up the integration it's not automatic like RM, you have to poll for the platform orders each day but it doesn't take long for them to load.

I have a mix of RM and EVRi and found that it didn't help because I had to hunt through the listings to find the EVRi ones.  However, if you're mainly parcels it could be worth trying.

Message 34 of 39
See Most Recent

Hi 

I do not think that Anita is working for ebay anymore.

It is Dave or Marco that you need to tag in.  If you have time go on the Wednesday weekly chat at 2pm, you will then speak to the ebay community team which is Dave and Marco as although they are suppose to answer when tagged on here, they often do not.

Best wishes

Message 35 of 39
See Most Recent

Just don't use Yodel- their service is terrible, their restrictions on size of parcels makes them almost impossible to use, and most of the drop-off points are Morrisons Local where the staff tend to be rude and unhelpful.  Just use Evri instead- it's only 5p more for a 1kg parcel, and they take items up to 120cm long without any questions.  They used to be terrible but their service is much improved over the last year

Message 36 of 39
See Most Recent

Thought I would post a little update. After initially continuing with the narrative that they would only accept parcels up to 60cm. The CEO Complaints department at Yodel finally admitted that they do infact have an agreement with eBay to take larger packages, once I provided emails that I've had from packlink and screenshots from the guide along with additional ones from other brokers such as P2G. 

This was a snippet from the email with 'Next steps for me'.

"Thank you for your email. 

Kindly head to your chosen store and request for the parcels to be accepted. Once they have been accepted, please provide me with the parcel tracking number including the drop-off store. I will then raised it directly with the Management Team that oversees the Click and Collect services at the below mentioned stores."

Possibly one step in the right direction??? Who knows.

Message 37 of 39
See Most Recent

anita@ebay wrote:

Hi @ducatimondo, thanks for your post.

They should not be refusing the parcels. I will look into this for you. Can you please share the item numbers for orders that you attempted to hand over, but were refused? What was their weight/dimensions? 

Thank you,

Anita

Good day Anita I'm also having the exact same problem with yodel . I purchased a label through eBay and my measurements are within the guidelines for large parcels up to 10kg 120x40x40 and the shop is telling me the driver will only except sizes up to 60x50x50

Message 38 of 39
See Most Recent

yes Anita - the parcel was 83cm x 16cm x 38cm and was 8kg
Tracking was 87RNI9585500A002

I am still waiting for this label to be cancelled despite asking for it to be as had to do new label off ebay via evri to post it
Message 39 of 39
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: