Orders may contain incorrect shipping address

I'm guessing most of you will have received the above message this morning from eBay, what a shambles!

So orders sent from the 7th might have had incorrect shipping addresses! As luck would have it (or not) my shop was closed for most of this month due to illness, but this has the potential to be a big problem for a lot of people!

Hopefully the issue wasn't too widespread.

Message 1 of 26
See Most Recent
25 REPLIES 25

that's awful 😞

perhaps this isn't as big of a issue since I didn't get the letter on either of my accounts?

eBay will HAVE TO refund loads of ppl.

Message 2 of 26
See Most Recent

Probably a good thing if it's not across the board.  I'll post the entire message below for those who may have not received it.

On April 7, an issue generated errors in the shipping addresses associated with some buyer orders. Please confirm the buyer’s shipping address by reaching out to the buyer on any orders placed after April 7 that have not yet been sent. If a mismatch is found, please cancel the order and relist the item. eBay will protect your performance for canceled orders, remove any resulting negative feedback and refund associated fees.

The eBay team

Message 3 of 26
See Most Recent

I received the same message. I've shipped numerous orders since the 7th April so I'm now uncertain if they've gone to the correct address. The message from ebay raises a lot of questions. Has the error been fixed and if so when? If the sold items don't arrive at the customer and they have to be refunded what about the value for the lost item? Ebay mention refunding fees but their error will result in lost goods too and the seller should be reimbursed as well as the buyer. Some ebay sellers haven't received the notification, why? How widespeaed is the problem? Does this mean that ebay know which sellers have been affected? What are the errors? What addressed have been used? 

Ebay must have a database of customers and their addresses, so why can't they match them to recent orders for those customers and identify which orders are incorrect? 

Message 4 of 26
See Most Recent

I too got the email this morning :-

On April 7, an issue generated errors in the shipping addresses associated with some buyer orders. Please confirm the buyer’s shipping address by reaching out to the buyer on any orders placed after April 7 that have not yet been sent. If a mismatch is found, please cancel the order and relist the item. eBay will protect your performance for canceled orders, remove any resulting negative feedback and refund associated fees.

There are multiple USA threads about the issue here

Its a worldwide issue - what a shambles

For sellers that have a business address separate from their home address - some listings are showing their home address - To resolve the issue the affected listing needs to be taken down and relisted

For buyers, it appears that if they have moved and changed their address,  their orders from the 7 April will display -to the seller- their old address instead of their most recent address. 

The eBay email doesn't indicate if the problem has been fixed - I therefore assume it is still happening which is a bit concerning.

I use Royal Mail and this wrong address issue coupled with Royal Mail's appalling delivery performance makes business somewhat challenging

Message 5 of 26
See Most Recent

I suppose the most important question is who is liable for the refund on orders sent to old addresses. Ebay or the seller. I can guess which way it might go.

Message 6 of 26
See Most Recent

Wonder what update went out on the 7th, coincides with a lot of reports of a drop in sales too - if a buyer can't checkout with the right address they'll just not purchase and not necessarily contact the seller to say there is an issue.

This combined with the notifications being broken on both desktop and the app...

With the "The seller only allows buyers to purchase 1 item every 10 days" being displayed for buyers trying to bid or buy items from sellers...

And everything else I mentioned here

Makes for a lot of problems that have come about in a very short space of time that can only hinder sales.

Message 8 of 26
See Most Recent

They surely know which listing IDs were impacted with this address problem.

What about global shipping program since I only send to that address and it is up to the GSP team to send to the real buyers address?

I believe with anything via the GSP program they take all the responsibility once it has been shipped from them for every issue except faulty goods.

Also I have listed a lot in the previous fee promotion, some of which were sold as pre-sale / pre-orders so are they wanting me to loose sales and fee promotion rate if any errors did occur, contacting the buyer is against the let sleeping dogs lie to possibly give a window for a buyer to cancel.

Doesn't the buyer see the address it is going to, ask them to check?!

Why can't they do all the work and tell us exactly which listings sold were impacted. I have three that should be delivered to buyers today, but what if buyers got this message and claim it wasn't delivered to them and opens a dispute, what financial protection would I have if anyone were to act with fraudulent intent?

I've seen two big eBay bugs in the last six months and with no one finding my listings at the same time a handful had the same problem and now this one seems widespread and very costly and concerning.

Message 9 of 26
See Most Recent

It's kinda worrying, even if you get the item back, which isn't guaranteed, will we be reimbursed the shipoing cost? As a business shipping costs make up a significant amount of the cost to doing business.

Also, it is the 19th of April, why are we only hearing about this now? A problem for 12 days, what do they think we still have items waiting to be shipped from nearly two weeks ago?

Utterly useless.

Message 10 of 26
See Most Recent

Not a word about protection for any financial loss outside of fees for the sold listing, let alone any additional fees on a relist.

I think eBay is in breach of the protection outlined for sellers.

The protection states if you send to the address that is on the purchase page / order confirmation you are indeed fully protected, eBay is just covering themselves from significant financial costs involved in this large error.

Message 11 of 26
See Most Recent

@stovestickers wrote:

This post is interesting and worrying

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Report-eBay-Technical-Issues/Ebay-Orders-may-contain-incorrect-shippin...

Typically when eBay contacts affected sellers it's when a fix is already in place or in process.

That is a message on the linked page, so I wouldn't take it as worrying, just because one seller found errors however they as a seller can not change the address it is sending to you  would loose seller protection for doing so.

Message 13 of 26
See Most Recent

To follow the status of any issues head to https://community.ebay.com/t5/Report-eBay-Technical-Issues/Current-and-resolved-technical-issues-upd... this logs all known issues including IDs for those on going / resolved issues.

It appears to be app specific and IOS (Apple) only.

Members are facing issues with shipping address as it reverts back to old address in IOS App (April 18,2024)

Reference ID: ALERT15269

I think they know which buyers used IOS and assumed any previous buyers using Apple phones and tablets app and contacted all sellers regardless if the buyer has two addresses on file or not and instead rushed out and told everyone to contact everyone else which is a horrible way to go about it.

Message 14 of 26
See Most Recent

I never got an email so I assume I am ok but what a show eBay is nowadays!

Message 15 of 26
See Most Recent

I never received an email either so assuming I'm not affected but I have an expensive item due to be shipped by Monday so am going to contact my buyer just to make absolutely sure.

Message 16 of 26
See Most Recent

I haven't received the email so I assume I'm not affected. However:

@the_bald_orc wrote:

The eBay team

Whoa, what?!?

April 7th was nearly two weeks ago...affected sellers will of course have already sent items. Let's hope eBay does the right thing and doesn't hold sellers liable for the failure of it's own systems.

It sounds like the issue was limited to buyer's who had more than one registered delivery address ordering through the iOS app; eBay should therefore know exactly which orders are likely to be affected. Why they're asking sellers who are potentially affected to contact all buyers who purchased from them since that date is beyond me.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 17 of 26
See Most Recent

The alert https://community.ebay.com/t5/Report-eBay-Technical-Issues/Current-and-resolved-technical-issues-upd...

Which states "Members are facing issues with shipping address as it reverts back to old address in IOS App April 18,2024"

I guess eBay are emailing all sellers who have received orders via  buyers using an iPhone or an iPad which would be a lot

Message 18 of 26
See Most Recent

eBay is clearly trying to avoid having to be responsible here when the policy states that You are only given seller protection if you send to the address the buyer used at checkout, so this means in all instances eBay soley responsible for all packages when you as a sender send to the address provided.

Message 19 of 26
See Most Recent

As regards ebay refunding sellers for any financial loss I note they have only stated they will protect a sellers accounts from negatives etc. There is a clause in the t&cs which basically states ebay isn't liable for any financial loss for anything they do. When businesses were going to the wall over VATgate the only financial assistance they got was a month or two free shop subscription.  As it has hit .com as well this isn't going to be a small problem covered by goodwill gestures.

Message 20 of 26
See Most Recent