INR case opened and issue refund within 20 minutes!

Is there some new rules with eBay cases?

I've just had a buyer open a case and while I'm looking at the tracking etc I get another message saying they have closed the case with a refund to the buyer.

This all happened in about 20 minutes. How was I suppose to be able to offer any sort of resolution myself

Just to add the parcel hasn't been delivered but I haven't received a message from the buyer so I was unaware of any issues until the case was opened.

Is this how cases will work going forward?

Message 1 of 20
See Most Recent
19 REPLIES 19

Your buyer should not have been refunded unless the case had been open for 3 full working days, and the buyer has escalated it.

If ebay refunded before this time you need to ask them why.

Contact them first thing tomorrow morning on this link: eBay Customer Service

Ebay are supposed to give the seller these 3 days to resolve the issue and if you voluntarily refund during this time you get your selling fees refunded and avoid an account defect. Have you lost your fees, and have you received a defect? If  so you also need to speak to ebay about this.

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 2 of 20
See Most Recent

ebay via customer services can close the case in the customer's favour when escalated on the phone and the tracking shows not delivered - likewise customer services can close a case in the seller's favour when escalated on the phone where tracking shows delivered, the timescale is not followed in this instance but not every agent will do this.  

Sometimes ebay will offer a discretionary refund in the same way where ebay refund buyer and seller keeps funds but this option is usually used for not described / damaged -  It is not offered to every case and there is a limit to the amount of times it can be offered.

I feel it depends on the individual standings with ebay but that is pure speculation

Unfair possibly but works both ways. 

Message 3 of 20
See Most Recent

It's a bit out of order to say the least that the buyer didn't have the decency to contact you to let you know that the item still hadn't arrived so that you could try to help him/her out without any need for eBay to start getting involved.  However, what I would advise you to do would be to keep a very close eye on that tracking number.  If the tracking updates to show that the item has been successfully delivered to the address that the buyer provided at Checkout then get straight onto eBay and appeal their decision to decide the Item Not Received case in the buyer's favour.  Once eBay see solid proof that the item has been successfully delivered to the buyer they ought to remove the associated defect from your account, as well as any negative feedback as well if the person who bought the item ends up leaving you unjustified negative feedback.

Message 4 of 20
See Most Recent

Under other terms ebay quote

In certain situations, eBay may open a case on behalf of a user and decide the outcome immediately.

Message 5 of 20
See Most Recent

@*guinevere* wrote:

Your buyer should not have been refunded unless the case had been open for 3 full working days, and the buyer has escalated it.

Something is definitely wrong; eBay themselves tell buyers the seller has 3 business days (in reality, 3 calendar days excluding Sundays and bank holidays) to resolve an INR case.

@petstation1989 - how "overdue" is the delivery; i.e. what was the latest estimated delivery date eBay gave the buyer?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 6 of 20
See Most Recent

@dch2112011 wrote:

In certain situations, eBay may open a case on behalf of a user and decide the outcome immediately.

Can you provide a link to that please.

@dch2112011 

Message 7 of 20
See Most Recent

@papso22 wrote:

@dch2112011 wrote:

Can you provide a link to that please.

It's from eBay's Money Back Guarantee Policy:

"In certain situations, eBay may open a case on behalf of a user and decide the outcome immediately. For example, if a seller is suspended for fraudulent activity, we may automatically open a case and issue a refund to the buyer"

It's pretty clear from the example given that eBay only do this if they know the seller is dodgy and never had any intention of sending the item. The transcript posted by the OP suggests their buyer (not eBay) opened an INR case, quickly contacted eBay's customer services and the CS agent took matters into their own hands for whatever reason.

What I'd really like to know is how long after the latest EDD did the buyer wait until they opened the case, whether the OP had uploaded any tracking to the sales record or not and if the OP had any prior contact with the buyer before the case was opened. This could be setting quite a dangerous precedent with eBay's fantasy EDDs that sellers often have no chance of realistically meeting.  

Message 8 of 20
See Most Recent

Nothing dodgy here. On my selling account it has over 200k feedback I've been selling since 2007.

I spoke to eBay this morning and they said it shouldn't have happened. The delivery date was meant for last Wednesday but as I said I didn't know it hadn't arrived until I saw the messages about a case open and closed last night.

They said they will now cover the refund and it'll be credited to my account so I don't know what has happened behind the scenes and it's only 20 something quid but still p****d me off.

Message 9 of 20
See Most Recent

Just to explain; I wasn't suggesting you had done anything dodgy. The eBay policy quoted clearly only applies when the seller's account has been suspended; I was pointing out that wasn't the case here.

It's good to know this was appealable and eBay saw sense. I was slightly worried this might be some new backdoor policy but it seems it was just another case of an eBay customer service representative getting things completely wrong. There should be tiers to eBay's CS reps where the first tier are the ones who answer the phone and can deal with basic enquiries. If the problem is above their pay grade - such as case decisions - it should be escalated to someone who can actually understand the case and eBay's own written policies. Judging by some recent posts to these boards the standard of eBay's CS reps is certainly on the decline.  

Message 10 of 20
See Most Recent

It's good news that ebay has given you a no fault refund, although I can appreciate it must be galling to think that your buyer has also been refunded when their item may yet turn up.

I would put this behind you now, and move on.

******************************************************************************************