Feedback negative

I think after another comment about our recent negative feedback, I thought I'd share it. I don't expect anything done but I suppose I wanted to share how at times it's a bummer. 

So, we had these Levi's polo shirts in stock for around £20. An offer was sent to buyers and 2 people purchased them at the offer price. One purchased on a Saturday, the other a Sunday. The Sunday purchase was a very quick dispatch as it was an hour or so before the drop. It was sorted to be gone right away (well an hour or so later). 

I was away at the time with family but I'd received an email from a staff member that not all was good. I didn't know the full situation as I wasn't present but it sounded like some damage had been caused to our batch of parcels and they weren't going to be delivered. As a rule I don't look at tracking, eBay sales or returns when away because more often than not it will ruin my time off (as we all know..... Such as those dreaded inbox messages with paperclip attachment.... You know it's INAD and the attachment is them trying to prove this with a photo). 

Not knowing the full facts, the following day I messaged the affected customers right away about this, I explained it could be for a number of reasons including (as per has been documented and has happened with Evri), the parcels were left out in the rain, theft, packaging damaged, etc. One of the buyers completely understood, the other used the email address on our business details to send messages asking about what depot it's at, where this happened and so on. All was explained. 

I sent a few copied and pasted messages to all of our affected customers, explaining the situation and that as well as a full refund, I'd sort out a freebie as an apology because I understand the disappointment. 

This customer who sent emails to the email address, like the other affected customers was informed of the situation and given the same copied and pasted polite messages. You can see one of them below. 

FormatConvert_20240311_125225_5068.jpg

They received a full refund right away. The free t-shirt as a gesture of goodwill was sent out. The free t-shirt sells for us for around £16 (plus postage paid by us) so it was just a polite gesture I put my hand in my pocket to pay for. No mention about getting good feedback for the gesture, if they ever wanted to say it didn't arrive and leave negative, fine. 

Shockingly as you can see, that buyer has twisted  a lot of what happened, referring to it as going "Stephen KIng" but moreso, accusing us of asking them if they'd accept a bribe with the t-shirt. Evidently you can see that was never the case and I was nothing but polite and more than fair throughout. It was entirely off our own back. 

I could have waited for them to open an INR (and then only get a refund 3-4 days after). Yet cut the country break I'd planned with my family short to sort something out. The outcome....that negative feedback. 

The buyer in this case has a reputation for negatives. Leaving some because even though they were given a delivery estimate of 25th-29th, when it arrived on the 29th, it was last minute and so they left a negative. Other times they've loosely accused sellers of bribery. 

I can deal with the negatives. Yet it's the asking them to accept a bribe that I am not happy with. It's not only untrue but could mean other buyers in future may see that and think they can get us to "bribe" them for positive feedback and so on. 

It was appealed to eBay for removal, the outcome...... It doesn't breach the feedback policy. Surely, even if the rest of it is fine, being accused of asking someone to take a bribe when not true can only serve to damage the reputation. 

Admittedly it probably won't damage our reputation as we offer a lot of exclusive supplied lines nobody in the UK has (growing more and more to just supplying the vintage rare stuff). It's just the accusation of asking if they'd accept a bribe which annoys me a tad. 

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Feedback negative

Your refund was polite and explained the matter in a way if I were to read it,  it certainly would not put me off buying from you listening to a comparison to Stephen King for the transaction ?  They blew all credibility of a reasonable complaint there, me thinks !

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Feedback negative

I feel for you. Sometimes you can't do anything right. If the buyer is a negative person and it sounds as if they are, you were never going to pacify them. Have a large glass of your favourite tipple tonight.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Feedback negative

@btr.style wrote:

I sent a few copied and pasted messages to all of our affected customers, explaining the situation and that as well as a full refund, I'd sort out a freebie as an apology because I understand the disappointment. 

I wouldn't have bothered sending a freebie anything as an apology; I think that's just asking for trouble.

Personally, if I didn't have an identical replacement item to send I would obviously have refunded in full with apologies and maybe sent a discount code/voucher that could be redeemed against a future purchase from my eBay store. That way I would have met my obligations to the buyer and provided them with a (no obligation) incentive to consider purchasing from me again. Sending a freebie item could make the buyer feel obligated to do something in return; i.e. to leave positive feedback even though their purchase went awry and if they mention receiving a free item in their feedback you might find plenty of future buyers who will be expecting the same.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Feedback negative

TY all. Would said glass be acceptable as the whole wine bottle (as it's technically made entirely of glass?). Actually I think I'd regret that when I've got to be up to work for eBay first thing tomorrow morning (the boss seems to like having their hands in our till a bit too much). A smaller glass will definitely suffice though. 

I'll post the initial message to the buyer point though, just need to get back to the computer as it has their name mentioned a few times (i.e. sorry ***** and, nothing to worry about ****). My fingers are too wide to markup scribble those details without wiping out half the conversation. 

Definitely the more I read that feedback, the more the rest of it is like some actual Stephen KIng novel the buyer wrote. I don't think the pennywises ability was to dump people's parcels in the street though. 

downloadfile-19.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong? 

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Feedback negative

"I wouldn't have bothered sending a freebie anything as an apology"

This buyer has received a 10% discount previously from another seller and as per their feedback profile, left a negative saying they were trying to bribe them with this next purchase discount. 

It was entirely a no obligation item. When stuff goes wrong we usually try and do like for like but ultimately it's customer retention that's key (confidence in eBay is low so it just shows we are to be trusted even when things go wrong). I'm all keen for blocking the undesirable customers but we all have to be human at the end of the day. Issuing vouchers on eBay isn't exactly easy (well from having a glance. How do you even create a 1 off voucher for someone to use 1 time for a discount? I haven't seen that option). 

I guess I especially understood the disappointment as it was approaching rugby weekend so they probably wanted to wear it at the pub that weekend. Freebies to our customers is just part of the business. Whether that's Christmas cards at Christmas, a few extra items with a big order, something as an apology for a mistake. That's the way we roll. 

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: