Chinese Sellers with UK addresses?

how come there is at present so many Chinese sellers on here who are allowed to put their despatch location as here in the UK?

I've found loads of items which are undercutting most UK sellers and they all show their location as in the UK but then have their registered company address details as in Hong Kong.

its pretty clear that these sellers dont have offices in the uk and are just putting this to stop them being filtered out when someone clicks on show uk only.

surely there should be some check done by ebay to ensure that if a company claims to be in a country the address needs to be verified..

Message 1 of 535
See Most Recent
534 REPLIES 534

@recasterrelicingsupplies wrote:
well, according to a recent article on Tamely eBay are at least saying they're doing something about it.

The measures were announced by eBay yesterday:

"We’ve reviewed our policy and made some changes which should help prevent sellers from providing inaccurate information about the location of their items. They’re now required to select a postal option that matches the item’s location. From today (28 March 2019), sellers won’t be able to create new listings or revise listings where the item location and postal service don’t match.

We’ll also be reviewing any international sellers who state their item location is in the UK, but have excessively high dispatch times resulting in extended estimated delivery dates. Our teams overseas continue to work directly with international sellers on policy education and enforcement to ensure compliance.

eBay will continue to take further steps to enforce this policy, including removal of listings, restricting a seller’s trading activities and, in the case of repeated policy violations, account closure. We will keep this policy under review."

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 221 of 535
See Most Recent

The bottom line here is that ebay must show a continual growth in listing numbers , they must show a continual growth in seller numbers , they must show a continual growth in items sold .

So any action against sellers with incorrect country addresses will be minimal .

Message 222 of 535
See Most Recent

@i_failed_my_dna_test wrote:

The bottom line here is that ebay must show a continual growth in listing numbers , they must show a continual growth in seller numbers , they must show a continual growth in items sold .

So any action against sellers with incorrect country addresses will be minimal .

Not so.

They must show a continual growth in revenue, although an increase in the other numbers would certainly look good.

Message 223 of 535
See Most Recent

@elmo7676 wrote:

Not so.

They must show a continual growth in revenue, although an increase in the other numbers would certainly look good.

If you checkout ebay's 10K filings you will see they make a big play about increase in item listing numbers .

If the top ten Chinese sellers who use fake UK addresses were to be banned , ebay would loose at least 10 million listings.

Of course the banned Chinese accounts would just transfer their listings to backup accounts so the loss in listing numbers would not be for too long .

And as a lot of ebay figures are not subject to audit , ebay might even escape a downturn in share value .

Message 224 of 535
See Most Recent

I think many of the customers just love a so called deal and even if they are fake or not they really do not care, and if it comes from a fake address or not, all they see is the price and buy!
Message 225 of 535
See Most Recent

@preciousjewellerygifts01 wrote:
I think many of the customers just love a so called deal and even if they are fake or not they really do not care, and if it comes from a fake address or not, all they see is the price and buy!

The ebay money back guarantee has a lot to answer for.

People believe they can pay peanuts for quality gear.

Message 226 of 535
See Most Recent

plus the paypal money back gaurantee! which goes for even longer!!

Message 227 of 535
See Most Recent

and plus they know it wont get there in time in the estimated time so they claim for that too.
Message 228 of 535
See Most Recent

so all in all its a win win situation for the customers who want something for free!!
Message 229 of 535
See Most Recent

@elmo7676 wrote:

Not so.

If you checkout ebay's 10K filings you will see they make a big play about increase in item listing numbers .

If the top ten Chinese sellers who use fake UK addresses were to be banned , ebay would loose at least 10 million listings.

Of course the banned Chinese accounts would just transfer their listings to backup accounts so the loss in listing numbers would not be for too long .

And as a lot of ebay figures are not subject to audit , ebay might even escape a downturn in share value .

What they make a big play about and what is essential to their continued market success aren't necessarily the same.

The market could tolerate a more profitable ebay which had less active listings, but wouldn't support an unprofitable ebay with many more listings.

Message 230 of 535
See Most Recent

I wish ebay can do some thing for this...
so ebay.co.uk comes back in its true essence and can rebuilt confidence in UK Buyer....
Message 231 of 535
See Most Recent

Its is understandable that Ebay want to show its forever growing by showing stats on Veiwers, visitors, sellers etc thats all great in all even if many are made up of mutliple accounts from other countires using loopholes but what thay are forgetting is  - - -- Any company can show a massive growth but they also need to show an increase in popularity and Ebay used to be popular as the place to go for weird and wonderful items but its slowly being known for other things which are all not positive

Message 232 of 535
See Most Recent

@gilliakenned-8 wrote:

Its is understandable that Ebay want to show its forever growing by showing stats on Veiwers, visitors, sellers etc thats all great in all even if many are made up of mutliple accounts from other countires using loopholes but what thay are forgetting is  - - -- Any company can show a massive growth but they also need to show an increase in popularity and Ebay used to be popular as the place to go for weird and wonderful items but its slowly being known for other things which are all not positive

I'd contend that ebay have always had a reputation for other things which are not all positive. As they finally get around to dealing with one problem, others have long since developed.

I like ebay's platform - I really do, but it pains me to have watched their inaction and slow responses to so many issues which really should have been dealt with from their inception. They do seem to get around to dealing with most issues, but usually in a reactive manner to external influences. It would be great to see them develop a proactive approach to dealing with all manner of potential negative publicity generating issues.

Message 233 of 535
See Most Recent

I agree 100%  I want to support UK sellers and am fed up with continually finding that I am buying directly from China. It's false advertising but I see no way to be able to complain to eBay directly.

Message 234 of 535
See Most Recent

Digging this back up as had issues with Chinese sellers. Not all of them but I recently had an issue with an item. They like to play the game.

Different story when you have waited too long and have to send it back!!

I avoid them like the plague! But still they beat the filters. Anything over a week delivery, then stay away. Sad really that they feel we are their main market.

What will Brexit bring to the table on this matter... Haha
Message 235 of 535
See Most Recent

I agree. Also, they email asking for positive feedback and not to go through eBay with complaints. I try to avoid Chinese sellers because the goods are shoddier than described. Tops advertised as linen were actually polyester and cotton. Even when carefully measuring yourself to size charts they often are ridiculously not to sizes given. Then all the trouble and cost of sending them back. eBay have lost me as a customer for clothes because of this. The last 3 things I bought were from purported UK sellers, then actually came from China.
Message 236 of 535
See Most Recent

There appears to be no way to get ebay action if sellers lists as in UK then ships from China taking weeks instead of promised days. The immediate clue is shipping details show "Delivery Information Received" for days. When chased turns out to be in hands of "third party" which is clearly "on the way from China".

Appalling, appalling, appalling.

I have used ebay in preference over Amazon for years - now I cannot rely on delivery date promises its time to go elsewhere. I'll be spreading the word.

Message 237 of 535
See Most Recent

@bounty369 wrote:

There appears to be no way to get ebay action if sellers lists as in UK then ships from China taking weeks instead of promised days.

Yes there does. It's called an 'item not recieved' (INR) case.

Message 238 of 535
See Most Recent

Can you tell me why Chinese sellers can list as being in UK and list item has 2 years warranty .why is this being allowed to still happen.l recently tried to get a refund on an item that failed after one day of fitting and was actually dangerous.Ebay still seem happy to allow these sellers to rip people off and in my case our lives at risk as I narrowly avoided an accident in my car when the item failed without warning.

Message 239 of 535
See Most Recent

I bought a carbon dioxide detector from an Ebay seller that advertised it with a picture a a union jack flag and said loction was Liverpool it wasnt until it took ages to arrive that I had a closer look and found it was coming from china.When you buy some thing that could effect peoples lives I do not want a chinese fake. When it arrived I took it to the trading standards and they examined it it and found it to be faulty. Ebay must be more responsible for items sold on its platform especially when the item purchased could effect peoples health or even there lives. On this occasion trading standars had the item removed from ebay but I see it came staight back with a differant user name.I give up ::::::::::::::

Message 240 of 535
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: