Chinese Sellers with UK addresses?

richardsuperstar
Conversationalist

how come there is at present so many Chinese sellers on here who are allowed to put their despatch location as here in the UK?

I've found loads of items which are undercutting most UK sellers and they all show their location as in the UK but then have their registered company address details as in Hong Kong.

its pretty clear that these sellers dont have offices in the uk and are just putting this to stop them being filtered out when someone clicks on show uk only.

surely there should be some check done by ebay to ensure that if a company claims to be in a country the address needs to be verified..

Message 1 of 534
See Most Recent
533 REPLIES 533

where is uk stock location ????
there is no location mention???
and you talk about business information, it should not be hidden at end of the page...
it should be at the top and stock location must be shown....
how ebay verify stock located in uk,,,,
i think we people should buy some items from these chinese seller and then give proof to ebay,
1...proof of uk stock, or location of stock if any exist in uk
2....customer service who can reply
3...who can accept return with valid postage
4....quality of product ..timing...postage

if i bring all that or any one of us then we can see what ebay can do...
Message 181 of 534
See Most Recent

I buy mine from a Irish company boxdisplays here on eBay. Box perfect probably expensive, or just do a google search
Message 182 of 534
See Most Recent

I Salute to All Uk Seller 

who are doing business depsite of these challenges

even after paying storage rent, ware house, commercial tax, vat, Still doing Business

Guys Keep it up, dont lose your heart....

At least we are contributing to uk economy unlike overseas seller...

.co.uk domain means UK products and UK Sellers

it does not mean .co.china or chinese seller,

either change domain name or display visible LOGO ON CHINESE STOCK, SELLER, PRODUCTS

SO it should be fair with uk buyer and sellers....

IT will be black mark on ebay untill ebay do something for us to differenticate uk and chinese product or seller

Message 183 of 534
See Most Recent

Well, if they failed miserably, looks like they are having another go - and I can't work out that they are failing now the ebay sites are full of Chinese sellers.  

Message 184 of 534
See Most Recent

I don't think ebay ever had a problem attracting sellers from China, but previous efforts to attract buyers didn't go well. Sites like Aliexpress and TaoBao outperform any western platforms by a significant margin.

It's certainly not reason for ebay to give up, but they've definitely had to rethink strategies.

Message 185 of 534
See Most Recent

@best.buy.items.limited wrote:
where is uk stock location ????
there is no location mention???

The item location is specified when a listing is created. If the item location is specified as "United Kingdom" it will show up when UK only is selected, regardless of where the seller is registered.

and you talk about business information, it should not be hidden at end of the page...
it should be at the top and stock location must be shown....

I completely agree; it should be easier for a buyer to spot when a seller is not registered in the UK; the easy solution would be to add a "Seller location" option to the search filter. I also feel that buyers should be made aware they have fewer consumer rights when buying from a seller that is registered overseas. However, I doubt any of this will happen unless eBay are forced to make it happen.

how ebay verify stock located in uk,,,,

They don't. If the seller is registered outside the EU and they mark their item location as "United Kingdom" eBay will not allow the seller to trade until they provide a VAT number. Their VAT number and sales are provided to HMRC so they can collect the VAT due on that seller's UK sales.

i think we people should buy some items from these chinese seller and then give proof to ebay,
1...proof of uk stock, or location of stock if any exist in uk
2....customer service who can reply
3...who can accept return with valid postage
4....quality of product ..timing...postage

if i bring all that or any one of us then we can see what ebay can do...

Well, that would take a long time and a lot of money if you even wanted to make a dent in the number of Chinese sellers advertising UK stock. eBay would be very grateful for their cut, though...

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 186 of 534
See Most Recent

@elmo7676 wrote:

I don't think ebay ever had a problem attracting sellers from China, but previous efforts to attract buyers didn't go well. Sites like Aliexpress and TaoBao outperform any western platforms by a significant margin.

It's certainly not reason for ebay to give up, but they've definitely had to rethink strategies.

eBay will never make any inroads into the domestic Chinese market as long as they continue to restrict communication between potential buyers and sellers. One reason they failed in China was due to something called "guanxi" - a Chinese cultural doctrine where people communicate openly to establish trust.

TaoBao was actually founded by Alibaba (also owners of AliExpress) to prevent eBay expanding into China; they certainly succeeded in doing so.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 187 of 534
See Most Recent

@4_bathrooms wrote:

eBay will never make any inroads into the domestic Chinese market as long as they continue to restrict communication between potential buyers and sellers. One reason they failed in China was due to something called "guanxi" - a Chinese cultural doctrine where people communicate openly to establish trust.

TaoBao was actually founded by Alibaba (also owners of AliExpress) to prevent eBay expanding into China; they certainly succeeded in doing so.

Probably not a good idea to try overriding cultural differences when expanding into new markets.

Funnily enough I remember a time when it was common for UK buyers and sellers to communicate, prior to agreeing a sale. I enjoy the fact that online selling reduces the time spent on communication, but sometimes you just can't close a deal without that.

Message 188 of 534
See Most Recent

I Salute to All Uk Seller 

who are doing business depsite of these challenges

even after paying storage rent, ware house, commercial tax, vat, Still doing Business

Guys Keep it up, dont lose your heart....

At least we are contributing to uk economy unlike overseas seller...

.co.uk domain means UK products and UK Sellers

it does not mean .co.china or chinese seller,

either change domain name or display visible LOGO ON CHINESE STOCK, SELLER, PRODUCTS

SO it should be fair with uk buyer and sellers....

IT will be black mark on ebay untill ebay do something for us to differenticate uk and chinese product or seller

I agree with the basic sentiment of the first part of your post, but struggle to get past the fact that you seem to only take issue with Chinese sellers. It's certainly the case that a majority of ebay sellers who act in the manner to which you object are based in China, but that's not to say that these issues are exclusive to Chinese sellers.

Furthermore it's worth mentioning that not all Chinese sellers misrepresent the location of their items or seek to avoid paying VAT to HMRC and it is most definitely the case that plenty of UK sellers evade taxes.

Message 189 of 534
See Most Recent

The two things that make me want to baton people are those who use MyHermes and Chinese sellers who blatantly lie about their locations.

Couldn't care less if they are drop shipping from the UK; Chinese **bleep** is Chinese **bleep**.

Ebay should take a tougher stance on this as it is fraud and those who exploit, lie and take advantage of the loop holes should stick to Aliexpress and peddle their **bleep** elsewhere!
Message 190 of 534
See Most Recent

@horsesleg wrote:

Couldn't care less if they are drop shipping from the UK; Chinese **bleep** is Chinese **bleep**.

Ebay should take a tougher stance on this as it is fraud and those who exploit, lie and take advantage of the loop holes should stick to Aliexpress and peddle their **bleep** elsewhere!

What's the difference between a China based seller supplying UK located stock and a UK based seller offering the same item, provided both are paying any due taxes?

I think most people agree that misrepresenting shipping location is something that reflects badly on ebay and is likely to cost sales for all ebay sellers, but your posts suggest that you have an issue with goods of Chinese origin. Perhaps if people in the UK were prepared to forego many of the luxuries they take for granted, and work for a considerably lower wage, these goods could be manufactured in the UK. If that was the case none of us would be selling much in the UK, as people wouldn't have the disposable income to spend on non essential goods, and sellers in some other country would be ranting about UK sellers muscling in on their patch.

Message 191 of 534
See Most Recent

Message 192 of 534
See Most Recent

Uk seller cant away from taxes coz whenever they buy in uk they pay vst, they store goods in private or commercial ware house they pay council tax.

Basic tax they have to pay which overseas sellers easily get away with it.
Customers on ebay having bad impression becoz of chinese seller why???

Claiming uk stock but having c22 form
Delivery arrives late
Quality mismatch
Poor customer services or late reply
No return postage
Hard to return
Resulting shifting buyers momentum towards other platforms (who restrict these chinese seller)

They have more sales than ebay due to strict policy for non uk based seller...
Message 193 of 534
See Most Recent

@elmo7676 wrote:

@horsesleg wrote:

What's the difference between a China based seller supplying UK located stock and a UK based seller offering the same item, provided both are paying any due taxes?

UK sellers dont sell Chinese stuff.

Basically because the Chinese can always sell it cheaper !

Message 194 of 534
See Most Recent

Uk seller cant away from taxes coz whenever they buy in uk they pay vst, they store goods in private or commercial ware house they pay council tax. Plenty of UK sellers avoid taxes. Paying VAT on purchases and paying council tax (in England and Wales) doesn't excuse the many UK sellers who fail to collect VAT, where applicable, or income tax. If we're going to enforce legislation, let's not pick and choose legislation that suits our thinking.

Basic tax they have to pay which overseas sellers easily get away with it.
Customers on ebay having bad impression becoz of chinese seller why???

Claiming uk stock but having c22 form Not acceptable, but these sellers can be from many countries - they can even be UK citizens drop shipping from overseas.
Delivery arrives late Are you aware of ebay's late delivery metric? UK sellers were in uproar about it, but this same metric will destroy any seller who thinks they can quote overly optimistic delivery.
Quality mismatch How exactly? Plenty of UK sellers import low quality goods to sell in the UK. Furthermore the suggestion that goods from China must be of low quality is rather foolish - Chinese manufacturing is now amongst the best in the world, although they'll happily produce shoddy goods for those who want cheap tat. You sell Chinese made goods - are you telling me that those are of poor quality? If that's the case, perhaps you should source better quality goods for your customers.
Poor customer services or late reply  A universal problem
No return postage Rubbish. Business sellers must accept remorse returns to the country they state the goods are located in and SNAD returns are the same worldwide.
Hard to return Some Chinese sellers may be obstructive with returns, but again this isn't exclusive to sellers from any particular country. I've had poor experiences, over the last 20 years, with plenty of UK sellers who did their level best to not accept the return of mis-described items.
Resulting shifting buyers momentum towards other platforms (who restrict these chinese seller)

They have more sales than ebay due to strict policy for non uk based seller... Really, where did you get this information from. Some platforms do indeed have more sales than ebay, but not for the reason you claim.

As I've stated previously; there are Chinese sellers who don't play by the rules, but there are also a great many sellers from around the world (including the UK) who think they can operate in any way they please.

To be quite frank, while there are legitimate grievances hidden among your complaints, it seems that the main issue you have with Chinese sellers stems from bigotry.

Message 195 of 534
See Most Recent

@nigel_paul_wright7557 wrote:

UK sellers dont sell Chinese stuff.

Basically because the Chinese can always sell it cheaper !

They can and they do.

Not only is it fact that a huge amount of goods offered by UK based sellers are made in China, it's also fact that the poster above you sells Chinese made tools and cheap ones at that. Considering their vehement opposition to everything Chinese, I'm amazed they don't source high quality tools of European manufacture to sell to their customers.

I'm appalled at the hypocrisy of people using Chinese made products to access this forum in order to rant about everything Chinese. If a Chinese seller is misrepresenting the location of their items, that is unacceptable - just as it is unacceptable for sellers from any country to do this. If a Chinese seller seeks to evade the payment of VAT to the UK exchequer, that is unacceptable - just as it would be for sellers from any country, including the UK itself. Claiming that no one in the UK evades tax is as daft a statement as I've ever heard..

Message 196 of 534
See Most Recent

99% of products you buy and/or use are made in the far east

Message 197 of 534
See Most Recent

I was just responding to someone illogically complaining about chinese tat

It's the same stuff they buy/use now... just because it is shipped from China doesn't suddenly make a difference

Message 198 of 534
See Most Recent

Big problem for buyers when returning shoddy goods is they have to pay for returns to china
Message 199 of 534
See Most Recent

@calebnellis wrote:
Big problem for buyers when returning shoddy goods is they have to pay for returns to china

Only if the item location showed that the goods were being sold from China, in which case the buyer would have knowingly placed themselves in that position.

Message 200 of 534
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: