Chinese Sellers with UK addresses?

richardsuperstar
Conversationalist

how come there is at present so many Chinese sellers on here who are allowed to put their despatch location as here in the UK?

I've found loads of items which are undercutting most UK sellers and they all show their location as in the UK but then have their registered company address details as in Hong Kong.

its pretty clear that these sellers dont have offices in the uk and are just putting this to stop them being filtered out when someone clicks on show uk only.

surely there should be some check done by ebay to ensure that if a company claims to be in a country the address needs to be verified..

Message 1 of 534
See Most Recent
533 REPLIES 533

Re: Chinese Sellers with UK addresses?

Contact eBay 

Message 501 of 534
See Most Recent

I did but they said it is out if the 30 days so they Limited to what they can do.

Any other options?

Sent from Outlook for Android<>
Message 502 of 534
See Most Recent

@kuddin20 wrote:

I have returned an item I purchased on ebay that was supposed to be on warranty 

Unless the seller is a UK registered business you had no warranty to fall back on.

If you can still find the seller look at the bottom of one of their listings or the "About" tab after clicking on their eBay user ID. Unless they're registered in the UK as a business seller you also had no consumer rights to fall back on once eBay's 30 day Money Back Guarantee expired. 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 503 of 534
See Most Recent

Thank you for your reply.
They asked me to return the monitor which I did but got nothing back.

What else could you advise.

I am amazed that a seller is doing this.

Message 504 of 534
See Most Recent

@kuddin20 wrote:

What else could you advise.

As I said, unless the seller is a UK registered business there's nothing you or even the UK County Court services can do. Have you checked if they are a UK registered business? If they are, I can offer some advice. If they're not there's nothing much that can be done.

To be clear the seller needs to be registered in the UK showing they are a business seller displaying their UK address. Don't post any of their details here (that includes their eBay user ID) as doing so is not allowed on these boards.  

Message 505 of 534
See Most Recent

They did give me a UK address. Which I contacted but the main supplier is in China.
Normally contacting them should rectify the issue but they are not replying, they have taken my item and I have not got anything back after paying them!

Message 506 of 534
See Most Recent

@kuddin20 wrote:
They did give me a UK address. Which I contacted but the main supplier is in China.

I'm sorry, you're probably out of luck. The seller is who you have a contract with regardless where the stock was sent from or returned to. As the seller is based outside the UK you can't pursue them through Citizen's Advice nor the UK's courts.

The only recourse you may still have is via your payment provider. You'll need to initiate a chargeback (payment dispute) via PayPal or your credit/debit card provider (i.e. your bank) and follow their process. 

Message 507 of 534
See Most Recent

You should have proof of this return with your tracking etc. Contact eBay
to get the refund and if that doesn't work, contact your bank and provide
them with all of the details.

Yours Truly,

Ian McCluskey
Message 508 of 534
See Most Recent

I have been caught out a few times now, i'm sick of having to troll through pages and pages of chinese sellers that hide behind the uk logo. Clothes i ordered arrived very late , and were of a very shoddy cut , the material was thin , nearly see through , and the hems unfinished . It's just all chinese tat as far as i'm concerned, and if it's not coming from the uk , i don't want it , i'm trying to support my own country and our traders , stuff blooming china, not impressed with them as a country anyway . Both Ebay and Amazon need to stop this influx of chinese goods (tat ) it's low quality and the sizing of their clothes is terrible , their all short in china , so everything you order , is doll sized ! When i order from a store in the uk , from an English supplier , that is what i want !  Not imported rubbish .  I'm fuming . I will only order now from well known british named shops .  But they seem to have disappeared from these websites ? 

Message 509 of 534
See Most Recent

Their sizes are meaningless,M,  L, XL, XXL, etc, don't mean anything, they are always much smaller than UK sizes. I have ordered items 2 X sizes too big thinking that I would get the right size and even then it was too small to fit me. I ordered a shirt from a seller who included a chart for chest sizes in inches. Thinking I couldn't go wron, after all, an inch is an inch in any country and I know my chest size, I ordered a shirt. When it came it was FOUR INCHES too small. I took a picture with a tape measure laid across the shirt and sent it them with a request for a refund because it was not as described. They replied offering me a partial refund of 30%, I told them it was useless to me as it doesn't fit. They upped the partial refund to 50% and suggested that I gave it someone as a present. What a joke. I eventually opened a case with eBay and the refunded me in full and didn't want the item sent back. It appears that they will do all they can to get at least some money for it as paying for a return will normally cost them more than the item is worth.

Message 510 of 534
See Most Recent

Yep ! I had the same response when my item didn't fit , give to someone as
a present ! I wouldn't give it to my dog to sleep on , never mind give it
to someone, that would be an insult to gift such rubbish . Ebay got my
money back too. Anyway, any country that thinks it's ok to buddy up with
Putin , is strictly off my list of sellers . I really think that amazon and
ebay need to rethink what they're doing. The other day I was ordering
something , and just before I was about to pay , I noticed that it would
take up to five months for the delivery , ???? I stopped dead in my
tracks. And cancelled the order instantly . Five months? where the hell is
coming from , planet Zog in the outer hemisphere !
Message 511 of 534
See Most Recent

I still didn't learn my lesson and ordered an electric shaver. When it came it didn't work, it wouldn't charge so I clicked "Item Faulty" and messaged the seller. This required me to add a picture of the item before I could send it. How do you send a picture proving that an item hadn't charged. The seller replied, offering the ever increasing partial refunds and said that I could use the refund to get it fixed. I told the seller that it would probably cost more than the cost of the shaver to get it fixed and asked them if it couldn't be fixed would they be prepared to pay the cost of getting it looked at as well as the refund. eBay sent me a return label the next day.

Now if I'm tempted to order something because it's a good price I always remember something that a wise man told me years ago. Which was. "The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of cheap price has faded away".

Message 512 of 534
See Most Recent

Spot on !
Message 513 of 534
See Most Recent

How they do it is to rent a business address, usually in some part of central London (and i mean just the use of the address). Once they do this they register as a ltd company and back it with £1000 and then sit back and carry on as normal.  I never buy anything of these pirates and never will.

Message 514 of 534
See Most Recent

There are reports of residential addresses which have no connection with a company being used to register businesses. There was one street with a ridiculous number of businesses registered on the residents who only find things like mail starts arriving. There are loopholes with registering businesses with Companys House which currently allows this to happen. Authorities are apparently addressing the loopholes.

Message 515 of 534
See Most Recent

The problem isn't only with China, our government is absolutely useless, anyone can register a business on companies house, there are no checks to see if they are genuine. During Covid thousands of companies were registered to take advantage of payments for staff that couldn't work during lockdown. Fraudsters netted over 450 million, not one penny has been recovered. 

Message 516 of 534
See Most Recent

Ebay are just a middleman taking advantage of a market.

If only that were the case still.

eBay used to be the 'middle man' when they first started and where they hosted your listings.

They rarely interferred, but sat in the background.

Now they have taken it upon themseleves to have total control over every aspect of a sale, so they are hardly the 'middle man' anymore. That disappeared long ago sadly.

Message 517 of 534
See Most Recent

If an item has a long delivery time like more than 3 days then its coming from China.

I buy nothing from China due to long delivery times, poor quality and usually wrong size.

Message 518 of 534
See Most Recent

@edgeog wrote:

Fraudsters netted over 450 million, not one penny has been recovered. 

The Tory Government? 🤣

Message 519 of 534
See Most Recent

You have to accept that the GM management have no idea how to grow the business any more ,so have started "promotions which you pay for" and lots of cheap Chinese short term sellers.

We are not competing with Amazon but Aliexpress,Temu and the like .....hence why Ebay have activitly invited them to sell on here with special previlieges t o make it easier for them at our expense .

Message 520 of 534
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: