Changes to Feedback in the Selling Experience

Introducing two new changes to feedback 

Over the past few months, we’ve been working to improve the feedback experience. We are making these changes in order to give potential buyers better insight into your products. 

We’ve started to introduce images on feedback for listings with more than one unit

Starting this month, some sellers will be able to preview feedback images on their own sold items for listings with multiple quantities. At this time, other eBay buyers and sellers will not be able to view images in your feedback. Once this rollout is complete, we will update you as we expand image feedback visibility to other eBay members.

To date, we’ve received just shy of a million feedback images from buyers on multi-quantity listings - and the vast majority showcase the great products and positive experiences buyers have had with sellers.

We appreciate that there may be some concerns that not all of the images posted will be positive. But rest assured, we take the protection of your reputation very seriously and have built moderation systems that review photos for inappropriate material. 

You’ll be able to report any inappropriate feedback images in the same way that you’d typically report inappropriate text feedback. We’ll review the reported feedback and take action to remove it if it violates policy.

For more information, visit our images, video and text policy.

We’ve updated the default sort to highlight the most relevant feedback

A large share of feedback is made up of generic feedback like “A+++ eBayer” or one word answers like “good”. However, in an age where buyers are increasingly looking at reviews before making a purchase, this isn’t always helpful. 

By updating the default sort on listings to highlight the most relevant feedback and deprioritise more generic feedback, this will enable buyers to receive a better understanding of what’s great about your products.

Please note that this is simply the default sort. Buyers will still be able to see feedback for all previous transactions, and on your feedback profile page, buyers can easily sort feedback by timeframe should they want to.

Message 1 of 119
See Most Recent
118 REPLIES 118

I actually agree too, there are times when I haven't left a neutral or negative in certain situations, but perhaps I would be more inclined to amend the feedback if I really wasn't happy with the service I received and I knew a postive was going to be left and it wasn't deserved.

However, maybe that is a good thing.  Maybe, those sellers who aren't providing a good service or as in your case, not only sent the item late but also not how they said they would, don't deserve the positive anyway, so it SHOULD be amended.

It's just frustrating for the sellers that DO do their best to provide a high standard of customer service, not to received good feedback when it IS actually deserved.

Message 61 of 119
See Most Recent

I'm interested to hear the different views.   I do know what you mean about sometimes opting to leave no feedback rather than a neutral or negative, as I've done the same myself on several occasions.   I just think it's a shame that so many positive transactions go unacknowledged.  

Message 62 of 119
See Most Recent

No news is good news.

I don't need any more negs like the one that says 'I ordered nine, and the seller only sent one'.  She ordered nine metres.  It was sent as one continous length.  I sent her a feedback revision form - no response.  I asked eBay to remove it - they said it was 'the buyer's experience'.

Don't goad buyers into leaving feedback.  There's a lot of crazies out there, and they all shop on eBay.

Message 63 of 119
See Most Recent

I'm sorry to hear that, yes unfortunately a minority of customers can be highly unreasonable and quite enjoy the power they feel when leaving a negative review.  Funnily enough, those type of customers don't need prompting to leave reviews anyway.   Luckily, they are not the norm and there are some really lovely people but when selling online you never quite know who you're dealing with. 

Several years ago I had the rudest buyer I've ever come across leave a negative, as I'd described the colour of a jacket as 'Navy Blue' and they said it was 'Dark Navy'.   Their messages were shockingly rude and very disrespectful.   Luckily, ebay read their messages and removed the feedback.

Message 64 of 119
See Most Recent

Wow, they broke the only thing left that still worked and replaced it with with an irrelevant 'improvement rollout'.

One of the first rules of marketing: Listen to your customers, or at least acknowledge them. It seems eBay have another agenda OTHER than to simply sell your stuff online for a small commission, because my 'eBay seller experience' was so frustrating I decided to give stuff away or bin it rather than jump through endless hoops for a tax-evading corporation.

The only way they could 'improve' anything (or have any hope of tempting me back) would be to address the glitches at the front-end BEFORE adding anything else, derr. There are glitches I reported 2-5 years ago which their advisors will reassure you "have been like that for ages", like it's somehow acceptable?

Ebay are so not interested in selling your quality hand crafted goods, one-off collectables or anything decent. Their rhetoric is geared-up to benefit overseas wholesalers (mainly from China and India) who can freely set up multiple accounts, selling fake/unbranded tat under the guise of 'UK seller' and waving a fking Union Jack, and still not get barred. 

But they just LOVE us to buy it! 😠

Message 65 of 119
See Most Recent

"Buying or renting extra server space is most expensive, that's why apparently ebay will switch some servers off to save money, which I was told, explains the blackouts days of no sales."

I'm sorry, but that suggestion is so unbelievably misguided and wrong on so many levels. Whoever told you that has a basic misunderstanding of how anything works. It seems that people will make up absolutely anything on here to "prove" that they aren't the reason their business is failing, but this is one of the most utterly insane ones I've read.

I think it's probably more likely that there were genuine mistakes, technical errors, or that nobody wanted to buy your products on the "blackout" days, if I'm honest.

Message 66 of 119
See Most Recent

Even so, ebays server download is about the slowest of any online site of any type.

Message 67 of 119
See Most Recent

@superchallenge wrote:

"Buying or renting extra server space is most expensive, that's why apparently ebay will switch some servers off to save money, which I was told, explains the blackouts days of no sales."

I'm sorry, but that suggestion is so unbelievably misguided and wrong on so many levels. Whoever told you that has a basic misunderstanding of how anything works. It seems that people will make up absolutely anything on here to "prove" that they aren't the reason their business is failing, but this is one of the most utterly insane ones I've read.

I think it's probably more likely that there were genuine mistakes, technical errors, or that nobody wanted to buy your products on the "blackout" days, if I'm honest.

You quoted just a sentence from my post, taken out of context & then reacted to it, not sure how this is helpful to anyone.

OK, so how you explain the “blackouts” & crazy patterns of sales?  because they can't be explained by your misguided judgement such as: ”none wants to buy your items”, “your business is failing”, etc.

So as per your argument, if “none wants your items” on the payday weekend so why do they do want your products on other days ???

Or if “none wants your products” between 1-10 PM today why suddenly they buy them between 3-5 AM ??

Or if they "did not want your items" this week , why sales were flying last week ? & then abruptly stopped etc.

Or why today the sales are to Scotland & Northern Ireland , but only few days back majority of sales went to London ?? 

Do all the millions of eBay users worldwide do get together & decide which account to boycott today or this weekend ?, how do they do that ? - absolute rubbish .

Some examples of what I & other sellers report regularly on various threads :

• No sales or very little most weekends, esp. payday weekends but sales OK during the week - it used to be the other way round, majority of sales were on the weekends, esp payday weekends.
  • “Sales windows” of 1-2 hours a day - you get a sale within minutes of each other, then nothing for the next 24-48 hours & then repeat.  Sales only at strange "witchy" hours such as between 3-5AM ?? but nothing during the day.
  • Sudden stop to sales once you “reached your invisible sales limit” for the day, month.
  • Whatever you do,  jump through all the eBay hoops, promoting, etc. it makes little difference, as the monthly turnover is usually very similar  but recently lower then previous month,  decresing instead of increasing before Xmas, why? 

Those are not normal sales patterns for accounts that sell worldwide without any restrictions. 

Sales used to spread within 24 hours from all over the world & not just within 2 hours selling window every other day, this is not sustainable for any small business. 

If only eBay stopped restricting visibility & restore the 24 hours access in searches, as it used to work well for years, then sales would be plenty & none would be hanging around these boards frustrated & confused reporting catastrophic drop of sales.  Unfortunately since eBay forced their Promotions of all kinds, those wired sales patterns seems to be the new normal.   

eBay needs to focus on the serious problems that needs urgent fixing, search being on top of the list, rather then useless fiddling with feedback ....unfortunatelly they dont listen to their paying customers .

I though in the USA the "customer is always right" so why not on eBay ?

Appologies for going 99% off topic.

Message 68 of 119
See Most Recent

With respect, it wasn't out of context at all. Not even remotely close to it. 

You said a massively off-topic and wildly ludicrous thing in a thread about a feedback, simply because you wanted a moan and expected everybody to go 'YEAH I AGREE EBAY ARE THE WORST.' I simply responded to that thing in a way you didn't expect, and now you're riled up.

With regards to sales patterns, I would suggest looking into what happens with Google Shopping adverts (which will include your listings automatically, on certain dates and times, based on how many competing adverts there are on those dates and times) and also what happens on the huge, huge sites that sell the *exact* same products that you do, the promotions they run, and the times they send out promotional emails and activate offers.

I'm not saying that eBay doesn't get it wrong. They often do. But it's isn't just a case of 'search is broken and eBay are the worst' or 'they turn the servers off to hide my listings because...I said so...even though it's hugely, hugely illogical, not to mention technically improbable.'

Message 69 of 119
See Most Recent

okay people if you've got that issue put to bed can we please keep this 'on topic' - this

thread is in response to ebay changes to the feedback system.

thanks in advance....

Message 70 of 119
See Most Recent

So someone has left me a feedback as a seller, so I've replied with a feedback saying thank you etc.  Now I have the opportunity to 'follow up' that feedback and 'go again' if I wanted to.  How long can this tit for tat go on?  Surely the buyer leaving me a feedback and me having one reply is enough.  This could turn into a feeback novel...

Image1.jpg

Message 71 of 119
See Most Recent

You sound horribly "entitled". You are not interested in the nice reviews sellers receive for their hard, time-consuming and rarely-rewarding work.

Message 72 of 119
See Most Recent

@pillarboxred wrote:

You sound horribly "entitled". You are not interested in the nice reviews sellers receive for their hard, time-consuming and rarely-rewarding work.

In reply to @douglaspuglas who wrote.

"All I want to see is the newest or negatives.  Most relevant to ebay bots is irrelevant to me."

I think that depends on what you are buying, I buy vintage glass and 'product reviews' are totally irrelevant to me.  They are far more relevant to new items in a competitive category where there are multiple brands producing very similar items.  They mean nothing when buying a one-off 90 year old vase.

What I want to see in a sellers FB is plenty of recent praise of their packaging and thanks for delicate items arriving safely.   Will that be the case when 'relevant' is judged on how many have sold or how quickly they were delivered?

The AI will probably interpret what is relevant on criteria designed with new items in mind and that slant will then be applied to all items, new or not.   I want FB relevant to my purchase, not (ebay please note) a dredged-up months old negative left by an angry buyer who didn't get their parcel the day after the sale.

Message 73 of 119
See Most Recent

@pillarboxred wrote:

Excuse me kindly back the heck off.

So according to you I am "horribly entitled" because I want to see the newest feedback or any negatives that a seller has.

I doubt many buyers even bother to read a sellers "nice reviews" no matter how hard the seller has worked.

Also as a seller I want eBay to stop messing about with feedback.

Not have it jumbled up with what bots think is the most relevant feedback.

Or have any negatives dredged up from years ago on the app.

That's what this thread is about.

Message 74 of 119
See Most Recent

I share everyone else's deep concern and disbelief at this announced change, not least because it seems Ebay don't know what their feedback system is, and has always been, used for. That is, reviews of the seller's quality of service, and definitely not a review of the product they've purchased. I think the most 'product review' I've ever received in feedback is "great item", or "genuine product".

If Ebay think boosting 'longer feedback' to the top is great because it's more detailed, well, that's generally only the negative feedback from grumpy buyers letting off steam. Ebay feedback is for rating the seller's service. As much as they really want to be like Amazon, Ebay does not share Amazon's two separate feedback systems, one for products on the product page, one for marketplace sellers on the seller page. 

What's more, 'Most relevant' will not highlight to buyers if a seller has had a drop in performance lately - or for that matter, an improvement in performance. As a buyer I would far rather see 50x "A++" reviews in the last week to gauge the seller is legit, active and trustworthy, than 5 reviews probably dredged up from months or years ago when there were postal delays or similar.

And I echo everyone's concerns about the feedback photos being an open goal for abuse and misrepresentation. Again, because Ebay does not ask for a product review in feedback, but a service review, how will customers post photos of the service? They'll post photos of parcels bashed in the post (nothing to do with the seller). They'll post a photo showing 'fewer items than they ordered' having moved some out of shot. They'll find ways to discredit the seller to try to force money back arguing the photos are 'evidence'.

Message 75 of 119
See Most Recent

As both a seller and buyer I like to see my most recent feedback first, at the top of the list. 

This was alway automatic, but now I have to sort it manually, and that's considered an improvement? 

Message 76 of 119
See Most Recent

From ebays point of view it is because it allows ebay to poke its nose into what, until now, has been one of the few areas of ebay where (unless the seller appeals) ebay couldn't interfere.

With this change ebay decides what is relevant, what FB is given most prominence and the time-frame from which to select the FB that is shown most prominently.  

Alarm bells started to ring when I read post #21  about the seller with thousands of FB, only one of which is a months old neg.  But that was displayed at the top of the page.  The more I read, the more I think that this 'improvement' is mostly about ebay manipulating FB to further enhance its ability to control sales.

But it's Monday morning and the Community Team will be back at work, hopefully with answers to the questions raised so far?

Message 77 of 119
See Most Recent

"...the Community Team will be back at work, hopefully with answers to the questions raised so far?"

Don't hold your breath. The answer will be "It's working as designed"...

Message 78 of 119
See Most Recent

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Message 79 of 119
See Most Recent

Hi @rainbowtrax, the relevance sorting is live for all users on our native apps for UK region.

To change the default sort order, you'll need to go to Feedback profile > See All feedback > Filter > Sort by Most relevant/Most recent.

If you are not seeing the change on the app, can you please share the screenshot of the Feedback page in the app as well as the Filter page, so we can take a further look.

Thanks,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 80 of 119
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: