Buyer wants to Return after 60 days due to his error

Buyer has brought an item (computer parts), they were all working with all the software needed installed.

They haven't backed up the software and have completely wiped it clean and now it no longer works as it did, due to the software now not being loaded.

They have opened a return saying they want to return as can't now get it working how it should and that if I sent all the software over to them they would keep the item. Annoylingly I no longer have the software that was installed to hand anymore.

The problem is without the items in front of me it will be difficult to install the right software ( Windows 98se and AC97 sound card), if the right software insn't installed the OS will Blue screen and need to be reinstalled again. On the manufacturers web site the software now only allows download for Windows XP and this doesn't work on 98.

It is well over the 30 days. I have the option to refuse the return myself and close the return, can they escalate this to ebay or will it time out?

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

It should time out as beyond your 30 days, but occasionally odd things happen.  Particularly if the buyers language implies faulty goods.

Is there a bit of middle ground, if the buyer pays postage to you and then collection postage back to them how much hassle would it be to sort out the reinstall?  

If its not a major issue and you have the time, that'd be my over eBay messaging counter offer to them.  Clearly stating its a courtesy reinstall as beyond returns window.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Personally I wouldn't bother entertaining accepting a return given that it's way past the cut-off time for the buyer to open a case.

From what you say it sounds as though the problem has arisen as a consequence of something that the buyer did after he received the item.  If you were to accept returns every time somebody who was out of time to return an item for a refund asked if you would accept a return you'd more than likely end up seriously out of pocket.

Going forwards, don't even get into a conversation with the buyer with regards to him returning the item to you.  Unless he opens a PayPal case against you then I really don't think you've got any reason to worry about having to refund the buyer's money.

Finally, if you haven't done so already, add this buyer's User ID to your Blocked Bidders List so that he cannot purchase anything else from you in the future and cause you any further problems.  If you also activate the "Don't Allow Blocked Buyers To Contact Me" option then once the blocks kick in you shouldn't receive any further messages from the buyer.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Thank you, the buyer has already put that he wont send it back at his expense, I have tried to help but he wants extra parts sent to him other wise he wanted to send it back.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

I have reported him to eBay as in the reason he stated that if I sent him the extra bits he would close the case.

I responded a lot of the time to his messages asking advice, but was unable to repsond one day due to being away and got loads of messages with ???????????? then he opened a case saying I was ignoring him!

Now on my block list.

Should I close the case or just let it time out?

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Just forget about it now, it will close after 21 working days, they can also no longer escalate this to eBay.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

As has already been advised, just let the case time out.  The buyer is already too late to try and get a refund via eBay, so as much as he may hate to admit it, there is nothing that he can actually do to get eBay to enforce a refund.

On a slightly different note the buyer shouldn't be able to leave you negative feedback by now (that's if he hasn't already left you feedback relating to the transaction).  However, in the event that a buyer ever opens a case against you but eBay close the case in your favour, if the buyer has left you negative feedback in the meantime get straight onto eBay Customer Service, pointing out that the case was decided in your favour and therefore the negative feedback should not be allowed to remain.  Under these circumstances eBay will usually remove any unjustified negative feedback, as well as the associated defect that the negative feedback would have caused.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

' I have the option to refuse the return myself and close the return, can they escalate this to ebay or will it time out?'

Yes, do this. Refuse it, don't leave it. That's the end of it. Get on with your day.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Having read your follow up, I agree with others.  Decline return request - if there's an option to add a note clearly state modified by customer to no longer work.

Block and report  ss you have done.  Move on.

Beyond just platform rules morally you've been very reasonable and tolerant.  None of us should have to take abuse.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: