Buyer refusing to return but wants money off

I may be a bit suspicious here but as I've had the same from two buyers almost word for word I'm wondering if there's buyers out there trying to get free goods 

basically the buyer sends you an email saying it's not as described. I've responded by apologising that they are not happy with the item but it is as described and they will need to open a return request via eBay. It then went silent for a few days. I then get another email saying that they can't return the item as they are housebound and that they are happy to keep the item but as they now have to buy a replacement that they would appreciate some money off 

I'm afraid I dig my heels in here. No return no refund unless they can prove there was something wrong with the item then of course I would look at it.  Both occasions they are quite expensive items and buyers with low feedback. I have respectively suggested that maybe they could ask a friend or relative to post it for them but again silence and no return case. This makes me very suspicious especially as I've had it from two separate buyers. To me if you get something that's not right you wouldn't be happy to keep it would you?

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Stick to your guns. You are right to follow the correct procedure. Tell them you are a business and that your policy means you have to have the goods returned so you can inspect them for damage. I know it's a risk but we shouldn't be manipulated by buyers. That's why the procedures are in place.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

In addition the line that they may be housebound may well be true, but Royal Mail will collect from their property, so that would deal with that issue.

But you do have to stick to your guns, if they want a refund then they must return the item. The other thing to bear in mind is if you refund voluntarily, there is NO course of appeal with ebay to get those monies returned.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

If the two messages are virtually the same, there's probably a connection.

It may be direct (two housebound buyers who know each other), or indirect (two scammers who read the same "helpful hints for getting free items from eBay" article online).

I'd start by Googling the key phrases - you may find an original article.

Then I'd ring eBay, show then both the messages, say you think there's a connection and ask their advice.  CS may be able to see a connection between the buyers that you can't see - or they may see that one or both buyers sent the same message to other sellers.

If "housebound" is the problem, suggest the buyers contact eBay to ask how the "Royal Mail collection" scheme works for eBay returns - or possibly give the buyer an extra week or so "to ask a friend or relative to post the item for you" , but then stick to your guns.   A one-off is manageable, but two similar requests sounds as if someone's taking advantage of you.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: