plant id please

can anyone please tell me what this plant is.so far its about 3 1/2 foot tall and has a woody stem.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

plant id please

DSCN2038.JPGDSCN2039.JPG

.................................................................................................................
Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

lantana?

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Possibly a type of vibernum. Do those heads turn into berries?
Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Image result for lantana flower

Petal
Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

@fallen-archie wrote:
Possibly a type of vibernum. Do those heads turn into berries?

think you are right archie.and do not know if they turn into berries as we only just moved in 5 weeks ago and I three of these in a bed.so will wait and see.

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Theres an App for your phone/tablet called

Pl@ntNet - that identifies plants by just taking a picture of it

--------

This info is from someone who actually HATES Apps - i.e. Me

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Almost certainly Clerodendrum bungei.  It grows about 10ft high and the flowers should be fragrant.

I see it's growing near a fence, as its only drawback is that it suckers freely there could be a much larger one in your neighbours garden.

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Good shout!

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

My pleasure archie.  I'm trying to use its suckering habit in a garden I work in where they do come from next door.  It seems that the suckers will flower on a single stem, the first year they appear.  Instead of cutting them back to the root, which seems to kill them, I've tried cutting them back to just above ground level.

I'm hoping that next year they will produce two or perhaps four stems two or three feet high with flowers.  They would be useful as small clumps in between the other shrubs if they can be kept low rather than developing into full sized shrubs.

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Any thoughts on how to rid my garden of golden hop? It keeps cropping up all over the place?
Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

I guess you would have to dig out the roots as it is a woody vine i think, or do you mean golden rod? I think that the roundup you touch onto plants (not the spray) might help with unwanted intruders.

I've got buddleja and other plants growing in the mortice between old stone tiles on a steep roof. A right pain cos I'm too scared to get up there to deal with them myself!
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Thanks for that Susie, it is called golden hop, and yes it grows like bindweed so you are probably right about how I need to dig it out.
As for your roof garden I suggest you leave it long enough and it will allcomediwn to your level 👍😂
Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Thankyou, so pragmatic, as ever 😁
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

I hate trying to dig out this sort of thing.  Apart from all the hard work and disturbance to other plants roots (which often die far quicker than the pest), it's so often futile as the tiny bit you miss seems to re-grow just as strongly.

If you don't want to use chemicals like Roundup, I've got rid of Bindweed and even Ground Elder simply by repeated removal of the leaves.  Tedious but if checked every day, effective.

If you don't mind chemicals, remove all the top-growth, let the plant re-grow a couple of leaves and then apply Roundup to kill the roots.  Repeat regularly. 

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Not tried boiling water?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Yes I try it everyday CD 👍 how else can one make a brew 🤔
Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

Instead of making a brew, try taking it outside and treat that plant to a bit?

Live long and prosper.

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

I suppose I might get away with it as whilst we have a hosepipe ban it doesn’t specifically mention kettles👍
Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

plant id please

That's it, get out there and try it on a sample?

Live long and prosper.

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent