learning to drive on a motorway?

I saw an item on the BBC where they were discussing having motorway driving as part of the driving test.

I think that's impractical because first of all some parts of the country are many, many miles from a motorway so how're new/learner drivers supposed to get there?

New drivers need some experience of the road before venturing anywhere near a motorway so how far in to their learning experience would any motorway driving come?

It's impractical to suggest a two-part licence, newly "qualified" drivers being restricted to all roads except a motorway for a while until a second test involving motorways was passed because how could you police it?

Some "A" roads need similar driving techniques to a motorway so experience on those ought to suffice?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

Learners are not allowed on the motorway, so when I passed my test I felt I had been left to get on with it without help in which could be the most dangerous part of driving.

I think once the test has been passed, the learner should have one further lesson on the motorways, and the licence only issued after this had taken place.

I agree distance could be a problem for some - but then, EVERYTHING is a problem for SOMEONE.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

There are already options if you feel you need them. What would help more is better design, wherever accident black spots exist there are design issues, the M6 north of Stoke being a classic, then there are numerous upgraded A roads which have very short feeder lanes at junctions.

Behaviour is a problem with some, lane hogging, where motorways merge cars undertake well above the speed limit and of course the seemingly uncontrollable habit of rubber necking, not sure you will ever stop that.

one further observation is that the Police seem to take far longer to deal with accidents than once was the case. Rarely do they publish cause and use the information to benefit others.

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

You're right about learners not being allowed on the motorway at the moment but what they were discussing was changing the law/rules.

I can't remember the first time I drove on a motorway and I don't think I thought anything of it but of course, some motorways are far busier than others.

It's the joining a M/W which can be fraught with danger as is changing lanes.

I think most of the "problems" with motorways are due to inconsiderate drivers = too close to the vehicle in front, sudden lane changes whether signalled or not, not keeping a proper look-out when changing lanes and not "allowing" others to filter in and of course, lane hogging. You're supposed to keep to the left except when overtaking.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

I knew a Lawyer who stayed in Edinburgh, She wouldn't turn right in the City, even coming out of her own street. All journeys done by left turns only --  This is not a joke

She used to travel across central Scotland by A roads to Ayr Her Home town when she visited, because She wouldn't use the M8 & M77, because She was scared.

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

Never understood people being scared to use a motorway. I think they are much safer than other roads. However, drivers do need to be taught about using lanes correctly, especially at slip roads...that they are not junctions...slip roads are meant to allow traffic to join the motorway safely and I get so annoyed when drivers on the m'way bunch up to prevent traffic joining, or refuse to move across to the next lane. I don't know how it works now, but the Highway Code used to teach this. I never had a driving lesson, so I don't know if instructors taught it. I knew the rules when I started using motorways. Why don't people know now?
Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

She shouldn't have a licence, then. I had a friend, who would not go anywhere that involved using a roundabout. She should not have had a licence either. She would get the 17 year old from next door to drive her car in and out of her driveway...she said her car was too wide to fit when she was driving it 😩
Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

In Holland it has always been a part of your driving lessons and done when you are nearer to the end of all your lessons. They obviously don't let you go on the motorway when you only had a few lessons.

Of course Holland is only small and we can get off the motorway a bit quicker than here, but still there must be enough places where it can be done here in England.

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

cee-dee,  I remember my first time on the motorway. I was absolutely petrified and would have apperciated my driving instructor at my side. Having survived the first time, the second time was fine.

Al, I spent the first 3 or 4 months on the road avoiding traffic lights. I would drive miles out of my way to go the long way round to avoid them. Soon got over it though. I also used to send my mum to get my petrol because I thought I'd make a fool of myself at the self service pumps, and every one would know I was "new".

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

Motorway (and night driving) are covered in the 'Pass Plus' test which any newly qualified driver can take.

The additional advantage is that a 'Pass Plus' certificate is worth an average of 20% off your insurance which for a new driver can be worth over £200.00 easily.

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

I don't remember having too much difficulty when I first drove on a motorway but the roads were generally much quieter when I passed my test. I do remember my driving instructor insisting that I take a couple of lessons in the late evening towards the end of the course to get used to changing light conditions. I thought that was a very good idea but I don't know if that is the general rule with other driving schools.

I think using P (probationary) plates should be compulsory for 12 months after passing a test, at least then when you do drive on a motorway other drivers will see them and hopefully make allowances for anyone who is perhaps a little hesitant. Difficult to see how learning to drive on a motorway could be achieved with the amount of traffic we have to contend with today. The Pass Plus test sounds an excellent idea for new drivers.

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

@al**bear wrote:

I knew a Lawyer who stayed in Edinburgh, She wouldn't turn right in the City, even coming out of her own street. All journeys done by left turns only --  This is not a joke

She used to travel across central Scotland by A roads to Ayr Her Home town when she visited, because She wouldn't use the M8 & M77, because She was scared.

I was on a coach this week, going from Glasgow Airport to Glasgow centre and I was terrified by the M8!  Even more so when I discovered there are two junctions where you join in the fast lane!  What with that and the lane dividers, fly overs, fly unders, confusing signage, etc I was glad someone else was driving and I have had a licence for over 35 years.

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

I remember being driven down the newly opened M1in a Ford Anglia owned by the next door neighbour, it was a dual carriageway with no central barrier and no speed limit, flat out just over 90mph on tyres the width of a wheel barrows and with no seat belts or anything else, those were the days and he could have had a skinful before he set off too😱

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

The M8 in Glasgow doesn't have a fast lane. It's mostly a 50 mph speed limit. Some places it is 60 but not near the city. Between the airport and the city it's largely 40 mph.
Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

Yep those lanes for joining the M8 in the outside lane are crackers and as Al will probably tell you at some time coming down the M80 you join the M8 where five lanes merge into three and that can be a nightmare.

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

lynda, from the airport to after junction 24 is 70 then down to 50 until you are past the Stirling junction where it goes to 60 then 70 again. 

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

there have been roadworks near the airport for ages, which made it 40, though I haven't been that far for a few weeks, so maybe they have stopped now. I wasn't referring to east of Glasgow. I said 'in Glasgow'
Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

lynda the speed limit from after Junction 24 which is the Govan slip road on the west side of Glasgow is 50 all the way over the Kingston Bridge to the east side after the Stirling slip.

The roadworks on the west side which made the 40 limit were overnight and the limit was lifted at 6.00 a.m. when the roadworks were halted.

The hew stretch from the M74 is the strangest as it goes from 70 to 50 for roadworks then back to 60 then 50 again as you get to the Rutherglen slip.

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent