a discussion

hi just wonder what every-ones thoughts are

are we heading for a 3rd world war or are we too sensible?

just listening to the news all the conflicts through-out the world now the possibility of one with Russia/U|kraine

Message 1 of 38
See Most Recent
37 REPLIES 37

Re: a discussion

Without poverty and greed no one would believe and need hope in religion

Message 21 of 38
See Most Recent

Well I am off out now as my robot doggy need a walk ...he will protect me from Armageddon I am positive......so long as I don't kick him and hurt his feelings of course.

Message 22 of 38
See Most Recent

@joamur_gosof wrote:

Without poverty and greed no one would believe and need hope in religion

Hmmm, not sure that is the case.

Religion helps some people who are very uncomfortable with uncertainty, and it helps others who are very scared of dying.

If you can cope with not having a pat answer for everything, and do not feel fretful that once you are dead you no longer exist, then you do not need religion.

Poverty and greed are to do with resources.  Religion assists those who want control of resources, certainly, and may comfort those who do not have a reasonable "share", but with or without religion humans will always be battling for resources.

Message 23 of 38
See Most Recent

I think World War III is long overdue.  We ought to have had it by now.  We're now in 2015, for goodness sake!  That's an extraordinally long time for a new World War not to have happened.  Why are we still waiting for it?

We didn't have wait very long for World War II.  That started in 1939 -  only 21 years after World War I ended!

That was a brief period.  The brevity showed that we humans really like fighting wars.  We want to be doing it again, as soon as possible.  All history shows this is true.

So - why the long delay before starting WW III?  Obviously, it results from the existence of nuclear weapons.  These weapons have been used only twice, on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.  The results were fairly spectacular. Though not much more so, than the mass RAF bombing raid on Dresden in WWII, which is currently in the news, as it's the 70th anniversary.

The point is, that nuclear weapons have not yet been used on a massive scale.  Why?  Simply because they are new.  And new weapons always attract resistance.  Such as was directed, in medieval times, at the new Crossbow.  It was denounced as "Un-Christian"  by ecclesiastical authorities. But the authorities eventually accepted it.  Owing to its widespread use.

Just as nuclear weapons will be accepted, once they start being used widely, and enthusiastically. They offer such opportunities!

The chance to utterly smite an enemy into nuclear dust,  just by pressing a few buttons!  This is so alluring a prospect, that surely it can't much longer be delayed?

Message 24 of 38
See Most Recent

@malacandran wrote:

The point is, that nuclear weapons have not yet been used on a massive scale.  Why?  Simply because they are new.  And new weapons always attract resistance.  Such as was directed, in medieval times, at the new Crossbow.  It was denounced as "Un-Christian"  by ecclesiastical authorities. But the authorities eventually accepted it.  Owing to its widespread use.

Just as nuclear weapons will be accepted, once they start being used widely, and enthusiastically. They offer such opportunities!

The chance to utterly smite an enemy into nuclear dust,  just by pressing a few buttons!  This is so alluring a prospect, that surely it can't much longer be delayed?

I don't think that being 'new' or rather 70 years old has anything do do with their lack of use on a large scale.  I would say that it has more to do with the likely consequences - i.e. Mutually Assured Destruction, and (because of those consequences to world safety) the Non-proliferation Treaty. 

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 25 of 38
See Most Recent

Suzie, the term "Mutually Assured Destruction" was always a misnomer.  It was invented by the Americans. It has no real meaning. 

Message 26 of 38
See Most Recent

You can be picky about the term if you like, but the meaning is close enough for me and how I interpret it. 

Countries launching nuclear weapons at each other are both going to suffer consequences, not just loss of life but world outrage. That is a deterrent to making a first strike and launching a nuclear war at the press of a button, as you put it. 

Nutters might do it if they thought they could hit all weapons' silos, all nuclear subs and all other nuclear warheads before the 'enemy' could retaliate, but that wouldn't happen.

Message 27 of 38
See Most Recent

There are situations I can envisage where nuclear weapons would be used as a 'first strike'.  Israel for instance would almost certainly use her nuclear arsenal if there was a danger to her existence from surrounding Arab states - that danger has of course diminished rather dramatically with Syria and Iraq occupied with ISIS at the moment.

Message 28 of 38
See Most Recent

@upthecreekyetagain wrote:

Israel for instance would almost certainly use her nuclear arsenal if there was a danger to her existence from surrounding Arab states - that danger has of course diminished rather dramatically with Syria and Iraq occupied with ISIS at the moment.

You might be on to something there, about ISIS.  As you say, the danger of a concerted attack on Israel, from surrounding Arab states has diminished, because the Arab states are currently pre-occupied with ISIS.  Doesn't this suggest that ISIS may be getting secret funding from Israel.  In order to make the Arabs attack each other, instead of attacking Israel?

Message 29 of 38
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

Here we go again. Every wierd cult on Earth professes to be "The One" and that what they say is "The Truth". Followers smugly claim "to know" and that "you will see". They all claim that their particular divine being will"protect" them. Total baloney.

There have been umpteen predictions of impending armageddon and each is professed to be "the one". When nothing happens everything goes quiet........... until the next time.

The World would be a much better place if all such mumbo-jumbo was consigned to history and instead, people concentrated on following common decency with respect for the well-being of others.

... You should read the real book its called .. horoscope friends Aries Aries 21/3-20/4 Taurus Taurus 21/4-20/5 Gemini Gemini 21/5-21/6 Cancer Cancer 22/6-22/7 Leo Leo 23/7-23/8 Virgo Virgo 24/8-22/9 Libra Libra 23/9-22/10 Scorpio Scorpio 23/10-21/11 Sagittarius Sagittarius 22/11-19/12 Capricorn Capricorn 20/12-19/1 Aquarius Aquarius 20/1-19/2 Pisces Pisces 20/2-20/3 Horoscopes Astrology Articles Astrology Reports Numerology Extras Psychics Horoscope 2015
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 30 of 38
See Most Recent

That's as clear as mud Tommy?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 31 of 38
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

That's as clear as mud Tommy?

yes it is ..lots of people believe in their Holy Books and most believe in the horoscopes..
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 32 of 38
See Most Recent

This is a load of tripe//// .......13/02/2015 Friday 13 February-Moon in Lucky Sagittarius: Up Up and Away... It may be Friday the 13th, but with Moon in lucky Sagittarius aiming ever upward, there is something serendipitous about this day. Moon harmonises with Uranus in Aries and Jupiter in Leo later on, turning every light green so things can unfold at full speed! If you are unsure about whether you are speeding in the right direction or if you feel like things are careering out of control, why not consult your persosnal SatNav by speaking to one of our friendly psychics. Early risers may feel a bit fuzzy around the edges, as the visionary Sagittarian Moon separates from hazy Neptune in Pisces. As we reach lunchtime, the Moon strikes the Sun..
Message 33 of 38
See Most Recent

Thanks Suzie. Perhaps you're taking a rather too simplistic view, if you don't mind me saying so.

Obviously countries which fire nuclear weapons at each other, are both going to suffer consequences.

But I can't see why that should stop countries using nuclear weapons, just because they cause heavy casualities.

I mean, in the Second World War,  RAF Bomber Command conducted massive air-raids on German cities.  The raids caused very heavy casualties. Hundreds of thousands of civilians -  men, women and children - were blasted and burned to death by the bombs.

Was this OK because the bombs only contained conventional explosives.  Whereas if they'd been nuclear bombs, they'd have caused "world outrage"?

Message 34 of 38
See Most Recent

,,,,,.jpg
@tommy.irene wrote:
This is a load of tripe//// .......13/02/2015 Friday 13 February-Moon in Lucky Sagittarius: Up Up and Away... It may be Friday the 13th, but with Moon in lucky Sagittarius aiming ever upward, there is something serendipitous about this day. Moon harmonises with Uranus in Aries and Jupiter in Leo later on, turning every light green so things can unfold at full speed! If you are unsure about whether you are speeding in the right direction or if you feel like things are careering out of control, why not consult your persosnal SatNav by speaking to one of our friendly psychics. Early risers may feel a bit fuzzy around the edges, as the visionary Sagittarian Moon separates from hazy Neptune in Pisces. As we reach lunchtime, the Moon strikes the Sun..
Message 35 of 38
See Most Recent

@malacandran wrote:

Thanks Suzie. Perhaps you're taking a rather too simplistic view, if you don't mind me saying so.

Obviously countries which fire nuclear weapons at each other, are both going to suffer consequences.

But I can't see why that should stop countries using nuclear weapons, just because they cause heavy casualities.

I mean, in the Second World War,  RAF Bomber Command conducted massive air-raids on German cities.  The raids caused very heavy casualties. Hundreds of thousands of civilians -  men, women and children - were blasted and burned to death by the bombs.

Was this OK because the bombs only contained conventional explosives.  Whereas if they'd been nuclear bombs, they'd have caused "world outrage"?

You say my view is simplistic but it is only one reason that I think countries would/will think very hard before resorting to the use of nuclear weapons with an intent to kill the maximum number of people. I can't help but find it difficult to understand your view, if you don't mind me saying so.  You seem to be suggesting that nuclear bombs are just the next step on from conventional.   I would say that they are an order of magnitude worse, not to mention long-term radiation effects.  It's not just a question of much heavier casualties - entire countries could be wiped out pretty much.

Why do you think there was a need for a Non-proliferation Treaty and a desire to only use nuclear for peaceful power generation?

And yes I do think that the use of nuclear weapons would and probably will one day cause outrage and shock the rest of the world.  

A study / computer simulation of the effects of Israel dropping nuclear weapons on Iran are truly horrendous in terms of deaths, in part because of the topography of the country and the concentration of the inhabitants.

"Iranian cities -- owing to geography, climate, building construction, and population densities -- are particularly vulnerable to nuclear attack, according to a new study, “Nuclear War Between Israel and Iran: Lethality Beyond the Pale,” published in the journal Conflict & Health by researchers from the University of Georgia and Harvard University. It is the first publicly released scientific assessment of what a nuclear attack in the Middle East might actually mean for people in the region.

Its scenarios are staggering.

An Israeli attack on the Iranian capital of Tehran using five 500-kiloton weapons would, the study estimates, kill seven million people -- 86% of the population -- and leave close to 800,000 wounded. A strike with five 250-kiloton weapons would kill an estimated 5.6 million and injure 1.6 million, according to predictions made using an advanced software package designed to calculate mass casualties from a nuclear detonation.

Estimates of the civilian toll in other Iranian cities are even more horrendous. A nuclear assault on the city of Arak, the site of a heavy water plant central to Iran’s nuclear program, would potentially kill 93% of its 424,000 residents. Three 100-kiloton nuclear weapons hitting the Persian Gulf port of Bandar Abbas would slaughter an estimated 94% of its 468,000 citizens, leaving just 1% of the population uninjured. A multi-weapon strike on Kermanshah, a Kurdish city with a population of 752,000, would result in an almost unfathomable 99.9% casualty rate. "

http://www.thenation.com/article/174295/who-will-drop-next-nuclear-bomb

This article makes for some pretty shocking reading and I hope that no leader or faction would ever resort to the use of nuclear bombs because they thought there was no good reason not to, which is what you seem to be saying. 

No-one wants to see huge civilian casualties and 'modern' warfare has tended in the main to use technology to target attacks where possible, although sadly civilians are killed too. To use nuclear weapons goes totally against that - they are completely indiscriminate and far-reaching. Heaven help us if ISIS have access to them as some claim they have.

Message 36 of 38
See Most Recent

I wouldn't say 'no one ' wants mass civilian casualties ,around a quarter of the population of earth couldn't care less and would prefer the genocide of one race or other ..civilian or not.

Throw in the mix of world end to start again believers (and many are at the top of the ladder 'opus D ' in our government for instance ),then the religion believers in its all foretold and part of the plan ,we are looking at the real statement of 'a few people don't want casualties. 

I think the present climate is shifting more towards malacs thinking in all honesty if you bob around social media sites from around the world. 

Hence I assume the OP as its becoming is it isn't it ,will it wont it ,should it shouldn't it ...The reasons for not wanting mass destruction are also clouding as more and more people get fed up.

my humble view point of course.

Message 37 of 38
See Most Recent

Yes I suppose your right caution and poverty and greed will carry on regardless if no religion...in some respects that's what religion was against and why it has so many followers. 

My slant though is that without the P and G syndrome you really don't need to believe in any form of saviour ..be it this life or beyond..hence it would never have come into existence as a following ,only as a science (where are we ,why are we ,and where in G's name is everyone else)

Message 38 of 38
See Most Recent