Towns are running out of space to bury the dead.

Man SurprisedWoman Surprised

Well I thought you all need to be cheered up.  And knowing this might just do it. Smiley Wink

A national shortage of grave space has become critical with some towns now on the brink of having nowhere to bury the dead, MPs have warned.  And no where in many cases it seems for the living. But never mindSmiley Wink

Anyway, although over 70% of Londoners are cremated, roughly 10.000 people a year are still buried in the capitol. And there's no getting away from it - London is running out of burial space fast. Only a fifth of London's Church of England sites have undisturbed land available. And because of London's cultural diversity, demand for burials is growing all the time.

Buddhists, Jews, Muslims, and Greek and Russian Orthodox Christians all strongly favour burial over cremation, as do people with Italian, Greek and Turkish roots.

Well other possible solutions: * dig new graves deeper to enable more burials * multi-faith burial sites * sea burials (fancy a drop of that myself) there are complex guideline though with need for a special license. Eco- coffins and woodland burials where trees supplant headstones. And I'm not sure but I think you can be buried in your own garden? (of course not a rented property) But the council has to approve because of water tables or rivers?

Anyway what do you  think?  Or fancy Man Wink   

Message 1 of 30
See Most Recent
29 REPLIES 29

Cremation for me dont like the idea of being buried in the ground. Definitely not at sea don't do water.
Message 2 of 30
See Most Recent

You can chuck me In a dustbin, I won't be aware of it when I'm dead , it's getting more & more expensive to be buried or cremated & I've paid enough into the council taxes so let them earn it!. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 3 of 30
See Most Recent

By the time I've donated all my bits and pieces there won't be a lot left.
Message 4 of 30
See Most Recent

I believe then , you & I could go into the recycling bin Ed as I've done the same!. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 5 of 30
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:
I believe then , you & I could go into the recycling bin Ed as I've done the same!. lol.

Woman SadMan Sad

Ed, Sam, how much are you prepared to pay? I will have a word with my  liberty taker .... sorry, undertaker uncle:

012.JPG

Now remember he only does cardboard coffins. And it is called ''the 9 o/clock trott ''.   

Message 6 of 30
See Most Recent

No more than a fiver , cos I've got me own bubble wrap & some dog poo bags for me bits!. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 30
See Most Recent

A    FIVER?!

011.JPG

He said he would push you off Beachy Head for that.

Message 8 of 30
See Most Recent

Yea! That's fine as long as I'm handcuffed to him! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 30
See Most Recent

@ed_blackadder_1 wrote:
Cremation for medont like the idea of being buried in the ground. Definitely not at sea don't do water.

Yes me too. Seeing Michael Jackson's ''Thriller'' made my mind up on that. It's the thought of never going down there that's the relief I think. Lets be honest it's a horrifying thought really.

I always remember Steptoe when he and Harold were moving into a new house which had no front room. Steptoe said: ''where do you put your dead bodies?'' Those days the body would lay in the front room for several days with an onion under the coffin. And from what I hear of it (my great grandad told me Man Wink) often it was far to long. Especially in a heatwave. 

There now I have cheered you all up I'm off!   I'll rephrase that I'm going.  Man Wink

Message 10 of 30
See Most Recent

,.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 11 of 30
See Most Recent

Thank you tommy. That's you at your best.

Message 12 of 30
See Most Recent

I remember seeing a series on TV about the Marquess and Marchioness of Bedford. The Marchioness, formerly Henrietta Tiarks, has had her coffin made already, and had it beautifully painted with scenes that she has designed herself. She keeps it at the top of a staircase and it holds blankets and textiles until such time as it is required for it's real purpose!
Message 13 of 30
See Most Recent

http://thecontraryfarmer.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/human-bodies-for-fertilizer/

Human bodies for fertiliser ?

My imagination leaps forward to a time when enlightenment finally comes to the human race.

Cemeteries become lush gardens of fruits, grains, vegetables, and trees for food and for building materials (coffins?) with a farmer’s market at the entrance to sell the produce. Tombstones could be shaped like benches  for visitors to rest from weeding their cemetery garden plots, or from pruning their cemetery trees, or just to relax while eating lunch or engaging in idle conversation. That just might encourage them to share memories of their loved ones now enriching their plants. The dead in this way would achieve a real kind of immortality.  Cemetery gardeners might even rest there in their lovely Edenic surroundings and say nice things about living people, even the ones they differ with politically.

We are many,They are few
Message 14 of 30
See Most Recent

@astrologica wrote:
I remember seeing a series on TV about the Marquess and MarchionessofBedford. The Marchioness, formerlyHenriettaTiarks, has had her coffin made already, and had it beautifully painted with scenes that she has designed herself. She keeps it at the top of a staircase and it holds blankets and textiles until such time as it is required for it's real purpose!

Yes... it's amazing the memories a thread like this can bring.

Remembering Bela Lugosi  (The best Dracula IMO). He died of a heart attack absolutely skint. And Frank Sinatra paid for his funeral. And amazingly Bela (who they say was a wonderful kind person) and obviously had a great sense of humour, because he was buried in one of his Dracula capes. Take a bit of courage to sit on your own all night at his grave. 

002.JPG

Message 15 of 30
See Most Recent

@joe_bloggs* wrote:

http://thecontraryfarmer.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/human-bodies-for-fertilizer/

Human bodies for fertiliser ?

My imagination leaps forward to a time when enlightenment finally comes to the human race.

Cemeteries become lush gardens of fruits, grains, vegetables, and trees for food and for building materials (coffins?) with a farmer’s market at the entrance to sell the produce. Tombstones could be shaped like benches  for visitors to rest from weeding their cemetery garden plots, or from pruning their cemetery trees, or just to relax while eating lunch or engaging in idle conversation. That just might encourage them to share memories of their loved ones now enriching their plants. The dead in this way would achieve a real kind of immortality.  Cemetery gardeners might even rest there in their lovely Edenic surroundings and say nice things about living people, even the ones they differ with politically.

Yes, absolutely.   And a great post.  Alas as in only a dream perhaps. 

Particularly this bit   'The dead in this way would achieve a real kind of immortality''

Reminds me (memories again) of that song  ''with my eyes wide open I'm dreaming''.

Message 16 of 30
See Most Recent

Proper space saving Funeral..........Innit !!

Message 17 of 30
See Most Recent

@evoman3957 wrote:

Proper space saving Funeral..........Innit !!

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Love it.  I wonder if it's that bloke moanining about FOAMERS?     Smiley Wink 

Message 18 of 30
See Most Recent

Man LOLWoman LOL   Helooooo....

ssssshhhhhsssss don't start him (it) off.  But I forgot they look like quality ''TAD'' boots? (they are American).

I know an undertaker who wants them.  Well who else would Man Wink  So how mucheeeee please.

Tommy, what coffin would you pick?  Or even of your own design.

Message 19 of 30
See Most Recent

I have noticed that he's either been planted with his legs Xd or they were in such a hurry they put his boots on the wrong feet ! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 20 of 30
See Most Recent