Time travel?

I think people that believe time travel is possible are deluded!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1109426/Time-travel-proof-time-travel-possible-physics-time-t...

How can you travel to "The Future" when the future hasn't yet happened?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 36
See Most Recent
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Time travel?

Time travel is far more achieveable than Brexit! FACT

Message 21 of 36
See Most Recent

I agree with with CD time travel is fantasy, future is something that hasn't happened yet so how can you travel to it even if you are going at millions of mph.

Time travel = Science fiction = made up
Message 22 of 36
See Most Recent

Yet by the time you reach the future everything leading up to it will have happened.

Whether the future is reached via speed, gravity or other ways all it means is that a place has been reached in a shorter time by the one travelling there than that experienced by those who experienced normal time passing.

There are a number of animals that can go into a period of suspended animation, some for decades, without ageing or experiencing the passage of time.  If you were put into such a dreamless state today then awoke in a hundred years time with your body in the same state as when it was suspended then you would have travelled to the future.  The same for someone travelling so that time for them slows down, nothing changes on Earth for those remaining there.

Message 23 of 36
See Most Recent

Yet by the time you reach the future everything leading up to it will have happened.

Quite

1) 'The future hasn't happened yet '

Only if you share the same reference frame and time t

if so then you can't press the button in your tardis to move you 100 years ahead, & step out 10 minutes later expecting  to be 100 years forward ,  the clock and calender inside & outside your tardis will have only advanced 10 minutes

Anything else is fiction, there is no underpinning science or mechanism known to do that

2) If you have a different reference frame & t, then the future in an alternate reference frame where t is ''greater' has already 'happened'

time is not a constant as in 1,  unless you share that reference frame ,

Move to a  frame with a 'slower' t by say accelerating to some appropriate fraction of c and your 10 minutes in that frame may well = 100 years in the original one

that's existing science, if you could accelerate sufficiently 

its only a one way street however, no reverse gear

Message 24 of 36
See Most Recent

You can simulate this effect by simply going to live in the North West

No time will not have slowed down, it will just feel like it due to sheer boredom & the fact some appear to dwell in the 1960's

Message 25 of 36
See Most Recent

Maybe we are from the future which has already happened.

A common ancestor could have travelled back in time and got trapped, and we are all that person's descendants.

I know it is fiction, but think of the sit com Goodnight Sweetheart.

Set in the 1960s, he gets trapped back in the 1940s and carried on living his life back there, although he has already lived in the 1960s

I would think that writing fiction about time travel is not an easy thing to do.

Photobucket
Message 26 of 36
See Most Recent

Not easy? Why not? If it's fiction, you only have to think about the impossible?

Now I know that what was impossible.... (let's say 300 years ago?) may well be in common usage today but even science has a limit.

One thing from science fiction is many forms of anti-gravity machines. Even if they were made to work without consuming huge amounts of energy, the human body doesn't like being in a weightless environment for long periods.

Another thing from sci-fi is the many types of craft driven by (as yet??) amazing forms of energy (all coupled with anti-gravity)?

We see in sci-fi films all sorts of weird craft performing impossible manoevres (just think of the g-force?) at absolutely lunatic speeds chasing after opposing craft "firing" all sorts of "rays".......

Let your mind run wild with ideas and it's not long before time travel will come in to it. The next thing will be that one "race" of fighting beings will be able to evade their opposition by suddenly operating their "future" buttons to simply disappear in to the future then re-appear in the past, one second behind their foes thereby having the ability to "shoot" them down?

Live long and prosper.

Message 27 of 36
See Most Recent

So you think writing sci-fi about time travel isn't easy? OK, you want sci-fi, you got it. The following is all fiction:-

Denzil Haynes was a crackpot inventer who owned over a thousand acres of relative wilderness in Colorado. One of the things he'd invented was a metal detector for locating small Gold deposits which he often used for fun when following a creek on his property.

One Wednesday he was trying his luck on a sandbank when his detector went crazy. He dug down and down but found no gold, he'd thought he'd find some nuggets when he got down to the gravel layer but he found nothing but the detector was still reacting. He dug through the gravel layer and came to what looked like White clay and the detector was still going crackers. He checked some of the White clay substance and the detector reacted to it. After panning through it he still found no Gold so in disgust he thought his detector had gone faulty so he just found some sticks and wood, lit a fire and heated a can of beans and made some coffee.

When he was done, he decided to go back home to fix his detector but first he filled in the big hole he'd dug and put out his fire by shovelling the embers in to the creek.

He saw that some of the White clay stuff was clinging to his shovel and thought with the heat from the embers of his fire the clay would have fallen off so to help it on his way, he banged the shovel on a rock. To his shock and surprise, there was a huge bang and the shovel flew out of his hands and off in to heck knows where. In his surprise he didn't see which way it went and as he couldn't find it, he just went home.

On the Saturday following he was just idly reading news reports on his computer when he saw a headline "Three people killed by a shovel". He read the report about the incident in White River City, many miles away. It seems a shovel had flown through the windscreen of a car, decapitated the driver, the car then crashing in to a truck killing the other two passengers. The photo of the shovel clearly showed his intitial he'd burned in to the handle.

Shocked, he called his brother, Will who worked at Los Alamos on a nuclear programme. After talking about what had happened Will decided to drive over to check out the White clay. On Sunday, the brothers went out to the site again and dug up some more of the White stuff. Denzil did the same as before, shovelled some fire embers and banged the shovel and sure enough that one took off too.

To cut an even longer story short, after Will had taken a sample of the White stuff back to Los Alamos, it was found to be a completely unknown substance which reacted when heated and pressurised. Really small amounts turned out to be capable of powering really large craft and during a big reaction, craft moved so fast they warped Space and Time.

It had been remarked that the new substance behaved like the science fiction reaction of deuterium and dilithium but without the need for the high frequency electro-magnetic field. However, more and more power was released as the temperature and pressure rose. During travel in an induced warp drive occupants of the craft found that they'd entered the World in another future dimension and on their return they were able to predict what was about to happen on earth. Attempts to change things just didn't work and further work on craft and drive engines are ongoing........

There we go, pick holes in that lot?

Live long and prosper.

Message 28 of 36
See Most Recent

I think I would go back in time if possible to when I was 10. I had not a care in the world and all that was important to me was my new red shoes joy_cat

Message 29 of 36
See Most Recent

As my post above was complete fiction, getting back to reality...... if you did travel to the future, you'd be way behind the times?

Imagine time travelling from 1919 to 2019? Wouldn't you be in for a shock? Also, folks in the present (2019) would look at you and think your appearance, attitude and whatever you'd brought with you were pretty outdated. Your reactions would be of incredulity to say the least?

That's only 100 years. Imagine travelling way, way in to the future, boy would you and your craft/device be regarded as ancient to say the least?

Time travel belongs to the same realms of fiction as the UFOs regarded as alien craft.

Live long and prosper.

Message 30 of 36
See Most Recent

Outdated? Possibly yes but I would say that many would feel more comfortable with some if it, and attitude in my opinion never really does change, there would still be a mix of all kinds.
Time travel? Fiction most certainly but progress hasn't always been for the best and won't be in the future.
Message 31 of 36
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

That's only 100 years. Imagine travelling way, way in to the future, boy would you and your craft/device be regarded as ancient to say the least?

That assumes that mankind continues to progress and make new discoveries.

Just as likely, (if we continue as we are), that some event will occur which will throw us back to the stone age if we even manage to survive.

Message 32 of 36
See Most Recent

There is some here that live in 17th century so time travel might be possibleopen_mouth

Message 33 of 36
See Most Recent

Self praise is no recommendation.

Live long and prosper.

Message 34 of 36
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

if we were still around to see what the next 250 years will bring,

Who would want to be.  The world today is horrific enough.  I dread to think what out great great grandchildren will have to live with.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 35 of 36
See Most Recent

Times are a chaging. the future is assuredly better than anything we have know so far.Woman Happy

Message 36 of 36
See Most Recent