The legalities of tatooing?

Hello everyone,

Just wondered if anyone knows what the legalities are where the tattooing of a minor is concerned.

Family members are having a heated debate over whether a 16 year old can legally get tattooed in a shop. Some say no if not 18 and others say yes provided the 16 year old is with their consenting adult.

Can anyone clarify for me please. I am under the impression that if the minor was tattooed even with the parent present and consenting that the shop tattooist has broken the law.

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Hello

It will vary depending which country one lives !!

However in the UK  "The Tattooing of Minors Act 1969 makes it illegal for anyone to tattoo you if you are under the age of 18 - although the offence is with the person who carries out the procedure, rather than the person who asks for the tattoo. New guidelines suggest that a tattoo artist should ask to see proof of age and record this before agreeing to tattoo you."

Hope this helps perhaps Woman Wink

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Thank you.

Just leaves me in a bit of a DilemaSmiley Sad

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Here's the legislation page

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1969/24

in other countries the minimum age differs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_tattooing_in_the_European_Union

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Thank you for the links.

Maybe there should be legislation regarding ear piercing.

It always seems wrong to me, to see very young babies with pierced ears.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

I cannot understand why anyone would want to voluntarily scar their skin with permanent ink, male or female. Each to their own I suppose.

Another tattooist has just opened here, owned and run by a female. 'Girl North' is the name above the door, and displayed on the windows. Looks like the poor soul is Dyslexic, and what she meant was 'Northern Girl'. Let's hope she takes more care when she's exercising her craft, or there could be some very disgruntled patrons. 

Mister EMB

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

I couldn't agree more!  And why inflict pain on yourself for absolutey no purpose?  It's a pretty dummy thing to do, especialy if it's on your face.  There's a bloke who visits our local supermarket and he's got a spider's web covering his entire face, and yet he seems quite intilligent to speak to.  These temporary tattooos - Henna? which last a couple of months are bad enough, but to permenantly disfigure your body is beyond me.  When I was on holiday I paid a couple of quid for a very temporary tattoo of a tiger on my arm - just a transfer which would have washed off in a couple of weeks - no good, it was so bad my wife demanded I scrub it off there and then as soon as I got back to the flat!  Some dummy put "scars" all over his face as though he'd been beaten up in a fight.  His mother must have been so proud of him!  There's a site you can go onto where they show these idiots with their faced scarred for life. 

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Hello

These temporary tattoos - Henna? which last a couple of months are bad enough

Actually where I come from North Africa we use Henna with beautiful designs when there is a festival/wedding & so forth & part of Our Culture !!!

It is beautifulvery artistic & intricate patterns  !!  Also my mum's tribe have tattoos on their face/arms & legs & this also has a meaning !!  However the tattoos are not that big that one will be staring at but again is very important as again part of Our Culture & not a fashion statement !!!

I love it when we all the women/children& teenagers get together & do this (henna) which is also a way of passing on Our Traditions to the next generation !!!

Hope this helps Woman Happy

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

@mustard-tree wrote:

Maybe there should be legislation regarding ear piercing.

It always seems wrong to me, to see very young babies with pierced ears.

It should be 16 when they can choose themselves.

A neighbour told Me, her sister-in-Law (who I know), wasn't talking to Her.

When I asked Her why. She said she had taken Her S.I.Ls 2 year old daughter and had her ears pierced.  She said "she went mad, I don't know why, because they had been talking about it". She was oblivious to the harm, because 'the Baba looked braw'

I informed her I'd have have hit Her and reported her to the Police for assault. She thought I was joking, I think even now, she doen't think She did anything wrong.

Grace went to the Shop, that carried it out, they said they thought Silvia was the youngsters Mother, so carried it out.

-------

I went ballistic when I found my 13 yo Daughter had gotten Her ears pierced. My Ex knew my views on this, but went ahead with it anyway.

----------------

One of the greatest things my Dad did for Me was drag Me (drunk) out by the Hair, from a Tattoo shop in Belfast when I was 19 , thank you Dad.

I am no fan of Tattoos- what are these Beautiful women going to do when the skin weakens and the tattoos fade. going to look horrible.

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

I am talking about, full arm/chest Tattoos.

Not just the small Rose, Butterfly etc etc

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Al, that just reminde me, my (half) sister, is 16 years younger than me, when she was a baby my Stepmother said when she was 6 months old she was going to get her ears pierced, my Dad went absolutely mental, and she never got her ears pierced.Woman LOL

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent