See Most Recent

The Rise and Fall of eBay

555njp
Conversationalist
Good summary, It's best days I feel are long since gone 😔
Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

The Time article contains a clickable link to an early eBay TV Commercial.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hE9xfKsgjak
Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

"The end is near, I face my final bidding" Choice words or an early premonition of things to come?!!!
Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi, Methinks they could quite well self destruct. When I became a member 15 odd years ago, they were a great business. Not complicated to deal with and they weren't money hungry like they are today. If they had only realised that if they looked after Sellers and Buyers far better than what they have, their membership would have skyrocketed and they would have made a good profit, but it has turned to greed and as we have found out over the last few years many members have been none too happy with the way it's turning out.

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

It is an interesting article but I think they miss the point by focussing on the move away from Ebay to other selling and social media sites. 

.... that is just the effect.

the cause is Ebay's institutionalised egocentric inability to listen to what their customers are telling them.  They have steadfastly and consistently managed to upset most of their business customers big and small.  If you read the board where private sellers congregate, there are constant threads of people being forced as private sellers to exceed even consumer laws for businesses, and losing a great deal of money in the process. 

the private people wanted to earn a bit of money selling something they do not need any more, but often end up with a Paypal debt for their efforts instead.  They then decide they will never sell here again.    

the business people hang on longer as it is their income.  However, their income drops trying to accommodate Managed Returns, defects and poor visibility.  At some point the tipping point comes when they realise the benefits and income from selling are no longer outweighing their efforts and investment into their Ebay business.  Then we see the business seller "giving up threads.

At some point Ebay will be forced to listen to customers, but as we have seen in the past from other "too big to fail" companies, if they carry on too long on this destructive trajectory before the inevitable "u" turn, it may well be too late. 

There are so many other opporunities on the web now to get products seen, the article has certainly got that right, and they are increasing by the day, along with consumer confidence in buying from Ebay alternatives.  Ebay has focussed on the buyer protection issue, at the expense of those selling, but they are 5 years too late in my view, for this gimmick to be fruitful.  People stopped lying in bed at night worrying about their internet purchases several years ago, they are much more confident at buying from all the diferent portals on the web now, they do not need the constant sight of Tango Tony to make them feel safe before they purchase.  

The new policies are alienating many sellers, and are not much of a benefit to buyers.  Sellers have to abide by consumer laws anyway, and although there will inevitably be some purchases that go wrong, same as in the real world, buyers already have the full weight of consumer law in their favour, for recourse.  Ebay's buyer protection is similar to all the insurance policies that are out there, like loan insurance .......  people soon realise that the additional protection is worthless, they already have it anyway through Trading Standards and the Court System.   

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

It baffles me that a company like ebay can come along with a "defect" system which benefits nobody.  Sellers cant appeal to get them removed unless a neg is attached in most cases - The buyer can leave a poor DSr with no justification, which you would think would benefit the seller so they can improve descriptions/pics etc, buyers just use "general" to ask for refunds, returns and missing items rather than the correct question so they can "skirt" round the tracking of regular scammers.....There arent even any product reviews to draw in buyers - guess where I and many others go to read reviews on products? Ebay is swamped with cheap tat mostly from overseas sellers and the filter searching doesnt work to filter out these sellers - its just incoherant and out of date - competitors platforms are keeping up with changes and giving buyers information, suggestions and reviews and list all the same products together rather than under search keywords... As a seller and buyer on competitors sites all transactions have run smoothly without intervention....why do Ebay over complicate it all offering buyer guarantees which are, as mentioned, already inplace as a consumer.

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

Don't think I can add much that hasn't already been said better by the last three posters, but I just wanted to laugh at this bit again:

In the rare turnaround for an Internet company, eBay came back–reaching as high as $59.70 a year ago–because of two key factors. The first was PayPal, which eBay bought for $1.5 billion in 2002. The second was CEO John Donahoe, who realigned the company at great effort to not only keep PayPal ascendant but also to revive eBay’s original marketplace.

Right about Paypal, woefully wrong about Donahoe, IMHO.

Ebay could have (and should have) kept it's position as THE online market venue for small traders IF they had kept their wits about them and not wanted so desperately to be something they're not. This article assumes that people are all impulsive and 'trend driven', rather than carefully seeking out bargains. Some people are fashion victims who follow the latest trends for sure, but the vast majority are not, and those who are often grow out of it. Some products certainly do largely sell to a fashionable market (the young and the impressionable), but who were Ebay's main users in the past?

Clue, the guy in that advert wasn't cast at random, most of Ebay's buyers were middle aged, or retired, staid, sensible, careful with their money, but, also modestly affluent. To be honest most long term sellers here also come in to this category - I include myself.

THAT customer base wouldn't have moved if it didn't have to, it's not the kind of customer base to move! It's only moved BECAUSE Ebay was neglected and abused badly. What attracts, and keeps, that kind of customer base is STABILITY and RELIABILITY, look at that other selling venue to see what I mean, they share a percentage of the same customer base. In fact, Ebay SHOULD have been able to grow during the recession years - it had everything it needed for that, the right kind of goods, a massive bank of the right kind of sellers, and the right kind of buyers/reputation. As proof of this (and I'm not saying they're identical, but there are a lot of similarities) that other site not only grew, it thrived during that period - no sign of THAT site 'going stale', is there?

Ebay is a classic example of 'The Grass is Greener', chasing a ridiculous dream, it's pretty much destroyed itself, when what it had was a perfectly sound base to build on successfully. Why has it done it? I think because of it's CEO, who is probably a very ambitious and 'bright' man, but he was 'wasted' on Ebay, which would have done much better over the intervening years with a less ambitious, more laid back, cautious individual in charge who saw the sense in slowly building on what had very solid foundations (and the massive advantage of being the first to the post).
Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

Fully agree LTP

I think of it like a scone at high tea. I sell so I can get the basic scone and butter. Sometimes I manage a wee bit of jam. On a rare occasion, I succeed in selling something so I can afford a dollop of cream on top.

ebay seem to want only the cream crowd now - and the scone and butter **bleep** are being shooed away. At least most of us haven’t forgotten we always need the scone and butter. Pity ebay have. The cream’s useless on its own.

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

Well I for one don't take a peverse delight in Ebays so-called decline. It's like being told your shop is on fire and whooping with delight.

This article is one mans opinion, and whilst few would argue that Ebay has problems, I am not going to dance on the grave just yet.

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

Well I for one don't take a peverse delight in Ebays so-called decline.

But I don't either. Things must change as all things must change. Its only if it stands still will it fail. I've always said ebay will continue in one form or another - and i hope it does - but I do think they've lost their way a bit at the moment. I hope they get back on track

And just why one word has been edited out of my post, really, all I referred to was the general body of free Roman citizens who were not patricians as determined by the census. Shopkeepers, crafts people, and skilled or unskilled workers might be plebeian(the Latin plebeius). Ignorant bots.

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

@grandpa.and.his.attic wrote:

And just why one word has been edited out of my post, really, all I referred to was the general body of free Roman citizens who were not patricians as determined by the census.

I seem to recall a minor altercation regarding the use of that word, in recent times.  Not sure if it made the news at all.   Woman LOL You don't ride a bicycle (with a basket) by any chance do you?

This forum is also moderated by people who removed the first name of a certain Mr Wonka who owned a chocolate factory.   Woman Wink

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

I'm not dancing either! Any laughter is just gallows humour, if I didn't laugh I'd cry. I'd love Ebay to find it's direction again too, the sad thing is that I really believe it's got massive potential, even now, but it's a bit Titanic like the way the 'commanding officers' believe they can keep ploughing on the same way regardless of the growing number of icebergs!

Ebay is not glamorous, it never was, but that doesn't mean it can't be profitable. Flea markets aren't glamorous, nor are junk yards, or car boot sales, but plenty of people make a (sometimes very good) living out of them and lots of us love poking around them for bargains. If I wanted to be selling High St. fashion I'd be managing a High St. store, not everyone wants that, in fact I'd say the majority don't want that, but there's room for both, and Ebay (as it used to be) filled a niche very nicely - the proof of that is how successful it became. That same customer base is still out there... they just moved away from Ebay in a lot of cases because they don't like what's been done to the site, they could still be tempted back (very quickly), by a few relatively minor changes. It's crazy, honestly it is, but it's good that it's finally getting noticed outside of Ebay and written about - even if the authors don't always get things right.  

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

Lol 🙂

I like the way the bots replace 'naughty' words with bleeps, it lets the reader mentally insert their own terms... am sure it makes people sound more 'hardcore' in most cases. 🙂
Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

It’s like being on the bleeding Starship Enterprise here. One minute I’m here the next I’m somewhere else. Must’ve been a SNAD batch of Lithium crystals then.

LOL not2. The thought of me on a bike. But me zimmer’s got wheels!!No, not quite at that stage yet.

The bleep actually makes it worse or better depending on the view. And whats the term for a collection of these bots? Botties?   or will that be ***bleep***.

Ah well, where’s me Guinness?

And is it safe to leave a bike here? heart

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

crazy Bots

I am a member of a football fans online board - whose platform bots edit,

Scunthorpe United fc

with **** inside word

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

I love ebay , I think in old vs new ,new wins hands down,they are very good at looking after buyers now..wasnt at the biginning and lately they are getting pretty good at looking after sellers again.

If anything they have turned a business that scammers near destroyed back to the top and then when scammers nearly destroyed it again and with ebays 'who cares about small sellers attitude' they bounced back again.

Its CS is getting better (about time) and PP needed to go independant as any one who knows shares, knows that trillions in tax is best avoided , otherwise only governments get rich (which would be ok if they shared it ,but they don't) off others hard work.

The only booo ebay bit is laying off staff, because there really is no need as the whole enterprise is minted and therefore can take a dip here and there,so in that respect the shareholders are greedy pigs.

Soooo.... yay ebay...booo shareholders..

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent