The BBC in trouble again

An expert from the BBC show 'Eggheads' claims he was rejected by Strictly Come Dancing because he wanted a same-sex partner.

CJ de Mooi, who is gay, says they opted for the show's host, Jeremy Vine, instead because of his request.

He says his manager had approached the show's producers and they were considering him.

"I thought, as it's now 2015, it's time this format in Britain had a same-sex couple," he told Radio 1's Newsbeat.

CJ de Mooi, who is one of five quiz champions on Eggheads, is also angry about a BBC statement in response to his claims reportedly stating: "Strictly is a family show and we have chosen the traditional format of mixed-sex couples."

He says Strictly bosses are behind the times and believes the fact he wasn't chosen is directly because he wanted to dance with a man.

Eggheads
The Eggheads Team: Chris Hughes, Daphne Fowler, CJ de Mooi, Kevin Ashman, Judith Keppel

"I don't want to say that Strictly are conservative," he says.

"But I think their announcement that they're a 'family show' and have no plans for same-sex couples seems that they're being a little bit narrow-minded and defining family in some very narrow terms."

The BBC's use of the term "family-show" has angered people on social media too, with many saying it's offensive.You being a "family show" should not be a factor that dictates whether you have same-sex partners.

I'm hoping to get the council to fund a straight pride festival, we do seem to be a dying breed.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

The BBC in trouble again

If a professional male dancer was gay, he would still dance with a woman in competitions.

This is a competition, so should be run along the same lines.

I think two of the judges are gay as well.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

The BBC in trouble again

Saying they are a 'family show' is rather a pointer to their way of thinking.

The BBC in trouble again

"they opted for the show's host, Jeremy Vine"

At least they didnt pick Chris

Photobucket
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

The BBC in trouble again

I see girls dancing with girls ...But i cant get my head round men dancing with men and kissing..Maybe im old fashion.
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

The BBC in trouble again

@mustard-tree wrote:

"they opted for the show's host, Jeremy Vine"

At least they didnt pick Chris

......................................But a Strictly source told MailOnline: 'We never approached nor had any plans to approach CJ to participate in this year’s series of Strictly Come Dancing. 'CJ’s agent gave us the opportunity to consider him but there was only one person we ever wanted from Eggheads and that was Jeremy Vine and we are delighted that we got our man.' Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3224739/Eggheads-quiz-star-says-thinks-killed-homeless-man.h...
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent