School uniform row/ is sending so many home justified?.

Surely the parents know what uniform is allowed.

Trainers weren't allowed back when my sons were at school, and they're in their 40s.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/school-sends-home-more-two-4576613

Message 1 of 58
See Most Recent
57 REPLIES 57

I saw this they were all given the list of what was and what wasn't allowed. The whole point of a uniform is it is uniform. I know it can be expensive but the latest fads in trainers sweat tops etc are far more expensive. No trainers for my son either he is 22. So it was ever thus.
Most of the parents interviewed were for the uniform.
Message 2 of 58
See Most Recent

My youngest 2 ages 26 and 28  now were allowed them in junior schol, but not once they went to seniors at 11.

They would have been sent home too.

Message 3 of 58
See Most Recent

When I was at school they even measured how many inches your skirt was above your knees. We didnt have trainers only pumps black with elastic or dunlop green flash, and who would want to wear them. I do remember getting soaked on the way to school and I put my p.e. daps on and I had to go and get my wet shoes and put them on. Those were the days eh.
Message 4 of 58
See Most Recent

I have to agree, the idea of a school uniform apart from the obvious ones of, smartness etc, is that as all children are dressed the same to stop anyone feeling superior or inferior ! If they had the list then it's their fault they haven't stuck to it, & the old chestnut we can't afford it doesn't wash I'm afraid, as most large stores stock a basic uniform at a very low cost!.

**********Sam**********
Message 5 of 58
See Most Recent

Sadly though Sam some schools specify certain sweatshirts or blazers which you can only get from one shop. I remember my sons sweatshirt had to have a logo on it and you could only ger it in one shop it cost £35 and his sports top was £30 because it was multicoloured and could only be bought in said shop. Nobody else made them.
The headteacher of this school did say it was £50 for one of everything including the shoes. So its not that bad. Unless you want 3 or 5 of shirts and trousers.
Message 6 of 58
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dressed the same so no one will feel inferior or superior? I'm not so sure about that.

What about the kids that have the hand me downs from their brothers or sisters. Shirts that have been washed a 1000 times, elbows that almost become see through, boys that grow so fast that their trousers aren't long enough etc....

Kids will always find something wrong with something or someone if that's the way they are inclined. It doesn't reduce bullying as far as I know and have experienced when my kids went to school.

In Holland uniforms have never been used at schools. Some kids looked smart and dressed in the latest fashion and some didn't.

I was actually dressed to the latest fashion in primary school and I was still bullied for that. Others were bullied because their mum's had to make their own clothes for their kids. Show me the logic in all that.

Message 7 of 58
See Most Recent

Oh I didnt know that Ed, in that case I apologise unreservedly . In that case the schools should be more realistic & make it so that all can be purchased at a reasonable price or that does discriminate!.

**********Sam**********
Message 8 of 58
See Most Recent

Your right there is no logic but that's what the original idea was, it's a bloomin mine field ain't it? lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 58
See Most Recent

I think its just a case of not being able to do right for doing wrong .

My school was a grammar school and we had to wear hats as well it was all brown and beige and it all came from one shop. I don't think my parents were best pleased when 12 months later it changed to a comprehensive and we had to change our uniform again to black and grey.
Message 10 of 58
See Most Recent

I went to a state grammar school too and the uniform code was beyond strict ...skirts were measured and were not allowed to be short , ankle socks had to be turned down , berets worn between home and school ( not allowed to be removed out of school as prefects would report back to headteacher ) . The list goes on.

Pupils today have no idea just how strict uniform codes could be ......the difference is that the parents then adhered to the rules too .....
Message 11 of 58
See Most Recent

We all had to wear the same clothes at my school00000000000000...jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 12 of 58
See Most Recent

Smiley Very Happy

I find it a bit odd that in 2014 school uniforms are often stricter than at my grammar school in the 50s, they did drop the requirement to wear a cap just before I started, you would have thought it would be now more relaxed.

We had a school blazer and school tie worn with dark grey trousers, white shirt and black shoes, in the summer open necked shirts were allowed and that was it.

The blazer could be purchased from the school suppliers or the Coop which were a lot cheaper but which unfortunately tended to be obvious after a while.

I went to a good school,well it must have been good as it was approved....

We are many,They are few
Message 14 of 58
See Most Recent

Ridiculous and picky rules

Have you seen what the School counts as improper shoes (it's not just a ban on trainers) or  improper slacks for girls (no narrow fit)

The Head says you can get a full outfit (including shoes) for £50, nonsense, cheap and nasty stuff hardly lasts 3 washes

and thou MUST wear an ID lanyard

and all those Kids sent home - weren't we told only a short time ago, that kids couldn't afford to miss one days schooling, when they were on about holidays

Message 15 of 58
See Most Recent

The blazers at 'our' school were expensive, much more than the other school, last few years they brought a cheaper version out.

Problem was the kids wouldn't wear them, because they looked exactly that, cheap.

You might buy one outfit for £50, but you need at least two, and preferably 3 to wash and change.

Message 16 of 58
See Most Recent

I went to a secondary school and as long as the colour was right, it could be bought anywhere

Brother went to a grammar, and his uniform had to be bought from a certain expensive shop.
Mum bought his first set from here, but after that, she bought cheaper ones exactly the same colour.
I got the job of transferring the shop labels from the old set to the new set.
The blazer had a badge on the pocket, and it was easier to transfer the whole pocket than just the badge.

Photobucket
Message 17 of 58
See Most Recent

Our blazers were wool and nobody else made them as they were brown. All the other schools wore black and grey. At the school my son went to the shirts for girls were in house colours and striped and none of the supermarkets do them. The sports tops were rugby style with again the house colours in squares the shops only did plain white or blue. Trousers were black so that was fine. The sweatshirt had the logo woven into the jumper so that was from only one shop. The school ties could only be bought from the school as they too were in school colours. So it was swings and roundabouts for us. We had awful trouble getting shoes for son as when he started school he was a size 12. So he had to wear grown up shoes bless him. And as he ranged between 5 foot .8 and 6 foot 4 at big school his jumpers had to be specially made. Oh yes and that cost extra. However if we had to buy him trendy trainers they would have cost at least 60 pounds same for other clothes as he was in adult clothing and there is VAT on adults clothes but not childrens. Poor so in so he got enough stick for being tall if he hadn't got a uniform he would have had a lot more..
Message 18 of 58
See Most Recent

It must have been a nightmare for my parents three kids, three different schools all with different Uniforms, we used to have inspections first thing at assembly, woe betide anyone who had a hair out of place or dirty shoes, my father used to polish ours on a Sunday, but we then had to keep up his standard for the rest of the week.we also I remember had to ask permission to remove our Blazers in class even in summer & it wasn't always granted either!.

**********Sam**********
Message 19 of 58
See Most Recent

The girls did not have to wear their blazers in class but the boys did , they did have to request permission to remove them.

All the uniforms were sold only in one particular shop and certain items were made to measure and VERY expensive . My school tunic cost 5 guineas in 1963 ....£5 and five shillings ...an enormous sum at the time but was made with seams so it could be let out , let down ...made to last a couple of years ! The P.E kit was hand made in a similar fashion .

Everyone started the first year in school in oversized clothing .....only ever had two blazers in 7 years as the first one did not truly fit me until I had been at school for over 4 years .

However all the uniform was made of a very superior quality so it did last !!!!

Luckily for my parents I was the only child in the family who attended the grammar school ...they could not have afforded to kit out my brothers in a similar fashion . It was a struggle for them to afford my uniform ...

Everyone
Message 20 of 58
See Most Recent