School uniform row/ is sending so many home justified?.

Surely the parents know what uniform is allowed.

Trainers weren't allowed back when my sons were at school, and they're in their 40s.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/school-sends-home-more-two-4576613

Message 1 of 58
See Most Recent
57 REPLIES 57

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe the Dutch are a bit more laid back.

Maybe I should offer some lessons. Cat LOL

Message 41 of 58
See Most Recent

It is still an offensive derogatory term, and using language like that is not setting a good example to your daughters.
Message 42 of 58
See Most Recent

I'm surprised at you of all people saying that!.
You should never judge a book by its cover springs to mind!
The wearing of all the things you mentioned does not make girls a "Bint " & I find your words very harsh & condecending !
I'm sure a lot of parents send their kids off to school in the right gear only to find out they have changed them on the way to school, the makeup etc is part of it , I'm sure it's the same for them as it was for you if you don't fit in with your mates you are picked on?

**********Sam**********
Message 43 of 58
See Most Recent

@astrologica wrote:
It is still an offensive derogatory term, and using language like that is not setting a good example to your daughters.

I know it is an offensive and derogatory term which is precisely why I used it; to convey my thoughts and feelings towards the sort of girls I was referring to!

It may not set a good example to my daughters but as my daughters are not present on these boards I'm not overly concerned!

Message 44 of 58
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:
I'm surprised at you of all people saying that!.
You should never judge a book by its cover springs to mind!
The wearing of all the things you mentioned does not make girls a "Bint " & I find your words very harsh & condecending !
I'm sure a lot of parents send their kids off to school in the right gear only to find out they have changed them on the way to school, the makeup etc is part of it , I'm sure it's the same for them as it was for you if you don't fit in with your mates you are picked on?

The wearing of such things does not make the girl a bint, however wearing such things in direct contravention of the uniform code does! I'm sorry if you find it a bit harsh but how would you have me describe someone who won't conform to a simple uniform code? Is this clever behaviour or stupid?

I fitted in with my mates without a problem because my mates would never pick on anyone due to the clothes they were wearing, I wouldn't have wanted to be friends with anyone who did! Also, if the uniform policy is properly upheld all their mates and everyone else would be wearing the same thing; proper school uniform!

Message 45 of 58
See Most Recent

REBELLING ! Like all kids do, have you really looked up the word "Bint" even in its mildest form it's not a nice word to call a girl or a woman. & so what do you call the lads who don't conform to the school uniform?

**********Sam**********
Message 46 of 58
See Most Recent

The mere fact you have thought of this word let alone voiced it, even if your daughters haven't seen it, shows a double standard!

**********Sam**********
Message 47 of 58
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:
REBELLING ! Like all kids do, have you really looked up the word "Bint" even in its mildest form it's not a nice word to call a girl or a woman. & so what do you call the lads who don't conform to the school uniform?

A lad would be called a **bleep**!

Yes I have looked up the word and as I thought it has a range in meaning from the more harsh such as **bleep** through to an affectionate term for a young woman; derived from the Arabic for girl or daughter.

My reference is a slightly affectionate term for a misguided young female similar to **bleep**

Message 48 of 58
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:
The mere fact you have thought of this word let alone voiced it, even if your daughters haven't seen it, shows a double standard!

Its register varies from that of the harsher **bleep** to an affectionate term for a young woman, the latter being more commonly associated with the West Midlands.

I am from the West Midlands where the term is used in a slightly derogatory or irronically affectionate manner. Bint to me is not a harsh thing to call someone, a Cockney may use the term 'Silly Moo' whereas I'd use 'Silly Bint'.

It is supposed to convey a sense of a misguided young girl, someone who has done something a bit daft; "silly bint".

Sorry if my colloquial terms come across a bit harsh to you but I can't help being influenced by where I'm from.

Message 49 of 58
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

In Dutch a bintje is the name of a potato. Cat LOL

Oh and yes, I agree. Where we come from often influences our behaviour..............................Cat Wink

Message 50 of 58
See Most Recent

😀 no problem!

**********Sam**********
Message 51 of 58
See Most Recent

You can see why I was confused as previously you had said that you knew it was a derogatory word& that's why you'd used it!. 😀

**********Sam**********
Message 52 of 58
See Most Recent

I feel I should alologise here, as I seem to have derailed the thread....not intentionally I assure you. I was just rather taken aback at Lambsy's choice of language. Where I live that word is very derogatory.
Going back to the original question.....I live very near a large secondary school, which has a uniform code. All the pupils wear uniform, but some still manage to look like ragbags! Trousers hanging at half mast with the hems dragging in the mud, shirts worn with the tails hanging out, ties undone and flying in the wind. It's not the uniform that makes a pupil look smart...it's how it is worn.
Message 53 of 58
See Most Recent

It used to be a source of pride no matter how little money you had that your child was sent to school clean & tidy& they returned in the same condition knowing that if they didn't they were showing themselves & their parents up& would probably get a belt as well! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 54 of 58
See Most Recent

My OH uses the word bint meaning woman but not in a derogatory way just as a saying he is also from the west midlands. In Devon we say maid.
Message 55 of 58
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:
You can see why I was confused as previously you had said that you knew it was a derogatory word& that's why you'd used it!. 😀

Mildly derogatory.

Message 56 of 58
See Most Recent

😜😀

**********Sam**********
Message 57 of 58
See Most Recent

Gary Glitter denies 10 sex charges
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 58 of 58
See Most Recent