Recommendations would be most helpful please.

Hi all,

I would love to have some recommendations for a replacement for my desktop PC.

Mine is now getting rather old and slow and it is windows Vista home so I think it is time to upgrade. I am also hoping to downsize to a small bungalow so space for desks etc will be non existent so I am thinking of a lappy or something.

Can anyone recommend some good replacements. I do like to surf and browse quite a bit, I love to do research and use my PC with a printer scanner copier and some buying on line but other than that I don't to a lot of downloading. Any input would be most appreciated thank you. xxx

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Hi, f-d.

No specific recommendations, but a few things I would be inclined to consider.

Desktop or laptop? If you don't need to move the machine around with you, and you can possibly find the necessary horizontal space, a desktop has huge advantages. You tend to get more performance for your money, and the machine is relatively easy to maintain. You'll probably need a new monitor to take advantage of a modern computer. Once you have the basics, it's much simpler to repair a desktop - easy to get into it and replace individual bits, or upgrade them. If you upset your coffee over the keyboard, you can get a new one locally for a few quid. Do the same with a laptop, and you're probably looking at a new computer. And so on.

If you go for a laptop - do make sure it has features you might need in the future such as USB3 connectors and, if it applies to your sort of usage, an optical drive (DVD/BluRay or whatever). A small laptop is very convenient space-wise; the novelty of using a tiny keyboard and screen might wear a little thin, though. Elegant slimline marvels might prove very irritating later on.

Chromebooks? Hmmm. Do some research. If you're unconcerned about the privacy implications of handing your computing over to Google, they have much to offer. Easy to use, no virus worries. Most of the computing action and data storagehappens at Google's end (stuff you do while temporarily offline is "synched" next time you're on the internet, if I'm not mistaken.) The Chromebook's a glorified terminal connected to Google. Lose it or drop in the bath, and you just get a new one, log in and everything is there on your Google account. You can't lose your data just because you  didn't back it up. It's all on Google's servers. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole, but I'm more paranoid about the whole privacy thing than most. It might just suit you.

Software - if you want to stick with MS Windows, it might be worth hanging on a few months to see what they plan to do with respect to Windows 10. There seem to be concerns among some folk that they might try to make it some sort of a subscription-centred service, with updates/continued use eventually involving regular payments - either for the operating system or for various features. Probably no cause for concern, but it might be an idea to wait a few months until W 10 is released just to ensure that it will, over the next few years, suit you.

Apple Macs are reputed to be easy and secure to use - I've not had the pleasure. They do cost a lot, and seem to do their best to lock you into the Apple ecosystem. Only serious if this sort of thing worries you. Hopefully one of the Apple users will be along and tell you more.

Open source software - I use Linux-based software (Linux Mint at the moment), and find it easy, secure and stable. Most versions are available free of charge, but they are not supported as long as a typical Windows release. It's so easy to install the new version that I honestly don't think this is a big deal, and in any case, some versions are supported for five years. Hard to argue with the price (free, in most cases) - in reality, I don't know how much you save by buying a computer without an operating system (eg Windows) and installing Linux, but I still think Linux has much to offer - to the extent that it is definitely my preferred system at the moment.

Sourcing your computer is another consideration. If you're reasonably tech-savvy, the internet offers lots of good stuff. Some online stores have a better reputation than others.

If you're less than enthusiastic about sorting your computer out yourself, then it might be worth approaching your local computer shop, especially if it is small and has a good reputation for reliability. Our local shop is great, and they gave me lots of free support on the machine I bought from them years ago - despite lots of self-inflicted oopses. (The standard greeting from whichever member of staff didn't make out of the back door fast enough as I walked in with my computer was, "Oh, hello Louis - what have you done to it this time?")

Lots to think about. I'm sure a few folk will be along with more succinct suggestions.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Lots of good suggestions from otherego.

I'm no expert but personally I would go for a laptop. I just love their portability and the abiity not to be tied to one spot to browse on the puter.  I have a nice desktop for work purposes but end up using my lappy anyway and haven't used my desktop upstairs for ages.

I guess you get what you pay for but it shouldn't need to be too much for your needs, and there are some good deals around. I would think about what screen size you would like and whether it will be used mostly at home.  My current one is quite small -13 ins screen, which I got for taking it away with work but if I had known that I would mostly ignore my desktop, and if in future I was going to use it mostly at home and maybe watch DVDs or iplayer etc, I would go for a minimum of 15 ins screen.  I have written long reports on my 13 ins but it is a little small.

I'm not sure if we can mention names, and of course people have different experiences with different makes and likes and dislikes.  A lot of workplaces seem to use Dell's and I have found them reliable and a good price so have had a couple myself and ordered some on behalf of friends who didn't know what to get.  But each to their own. 

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Thank you to you both for your inputs, much food for thought.

I have to admit to loving my desktop but space really will be an issue, will have to do some looking around and investigate what is on offer, my son will be starting work with microsoft in June so perhaps I might be able to get some help from him too.

I have used the odd lappy but never owned one. I do like using a mouse not a pad (if that is the correct name).

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

I much prefer a mouse too, and that's no problem with a laptop. You can get a wireless one for convenience which works with a little gizmo that plugs into a USB port.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

My OH had an Acer Chromebook for Christmas and hardly uses our PC now. She didn't get on with the scroll pad but she bought a Logitech wireless mouse which is fully compatible and doesn't need a plug in gizmo. A few of her friends have them too and they all say they are very reliable and quick.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Lappies advantage is that its easy to watch tv and have it on your lap. But as mentioned pc are still better value, though you will still have a good spec what you need for £300.00. 

But what you need is to make sure that the screen on the laptop is of excellent quality.

some of the cheaper models have good specs but a poor screen. Especially in varying light. .also you may like to go for a larger screen option if you are not taking it out and about.

Good luck with windows after Vista.

Laptops for less than £600.00 

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/laptop/3214583/37-best-budget-laptops-2015-uk-cheap-laptops-m...

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent