Nuisance phone calls, please could I get some ideas how to stop one.

I have one particular call that is coming ever more frequently and it is becoming a big nuisance.

First of all it was a caller asking for a specific name and was told that no one by that name lives at our address. This happened for a few weeks until we got angry and told them not to keep calling and we were told  that the name would be removed off the list (what ever that list was). We then get it happening more often with different people calling, male and female. Which we always give the same answer of no one here of that name and complain about the constant calls..

Now we have started getting them where the caller more or less accuses us of telling lies because in his words ""you are blah blah blah (number) of (location) right?"  We answer again with no one here of that name and please take the name off "your list" etc.

We did register with a service that is supposed to deal with cold calling,. 

This is a little different because the caller is clearly after someone but won't believe we are not who they are after, and of course they never leave a number.

I normally will just put the phone down on the cold calling and it doesn't bother me but the persistence of this one is getting beyond a joke and it could be any time during the day or evening and any day of the week.

I don't know how I can get it stoped so was hoping someone here could tell methods I can. There must be something in place to deal with this kind of thing.  Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Nuisance phone calls, please could I get some ideas how to stop one.

@dark_castle1 wrote:

I would ask " to whom am I speaking ", what the company name was and when they divulged that I would then say " thank you, now I have the name of the person and company that I am going to report for harassment if I receive any more calls "

Haha.....tried that today.  It was a different voice on the line today and apparently calling about my Microsoft licence still asking for the name I state I am not.  I wait for a response but the line goes very quiet for a few seconds and then she hung up.  Wonder if that's it.

😁

Message 21 of 25
See Most Recent

Smiley Very Happyi had 2 today, on the first it was about my pc and i said yes to everything after a while phone went dead

on the second i did the same saying yes to everything, this time i got passed to a supervisor and still said yes to everything after a while he said YOUR AN IDIOT and i said YesSmiley LOL

Petal
Message 22 of 25
See Most Recent

@right-then-petal wrote:

Smiley Very Happyi had 2 today, on the first it was about my pc and i said yes to everything after a while phone went dead

on the second i did the same saying yes to everything, this time i got passed to a supervisor and still said yes to everything after a while he said YOUR AN IDIOT and i said YesSmiley LOL

Hahaha 😂

Message 23 of 25
See Most Recent

Today they have started again 😞

Arguing that they are not guilty of harassment, haha I just put the phone down, but I am now getting quite cross and feel I do want to report them.

Is it worth the bother and where would I start.  I have a funny feeling it is one of those computer scams as they are talking of computer licencing, but if it were legit the would leave a phone number but they don't.

Message 24 of 25
See Most Recent

Many years ago (about 15) I got lots of calls from one company, they were a debt collection company. I never knew why they were phoning me, but perhaps the person that owed them money simply gave them my number. They use to phone so many times that when I got home from work my answer machine could not take any more calls as it was limited to 10 and they had clogged it up. Any one else trying to get hold of me, simply couldn't. I eventually did what Dark Castle said earlier and pretended to be the person they were looking for and ask them who they were. I then had a name! I then threatened them with legal action if they did not stop - for the 3 weeks following that's exactly what happened; no more calls. Then it started all over again.

I eventually phoned BT, but they were unable to block the caller because it was from an international number (Dublin based). The only solution was for me o get a new number and that's what I had to do.

This is a slightly different scenario to chancers calling as these people had a specfic mission, but the nusiance factor is the same. I have recently started to get a number of  international calls, but happily my call blocker phone takes care of them by telling them "the caller does not accept calls from this number please hang up". Personally I wish it would just tell them to ....... well there are 3 f's in the next 2 words!!!

Message 25 of 25
See Most Recent