Maths Mastery, what is it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36772954

They're going to spend £41 million promoting "Maths Mastery" but what the heck is it? Please, no links.

Anyone familiar with it? Show some examples of the teaching?

I've looked at loads of links and all they seem to show is waffle and gobbledygook about how wonderful it is and how pleased they are with it.

What's the difference between current teaching and that "method"?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 27
See Most Recent
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Maths Mastery, what is it?

I,m sure there will be some to download from app stores

We are many,They are few
Message 21 of 27
See Most Recent

Well they should make them more interesting / fun........start a trend.......like Pokemon.......I'll have to be excused, I've got a life and things to do.Smiley Very Happy

Message 22 of 27
See Most Recent

Your last comment reminded me of when I did numeracy as part of my Access (to higher education) certificate in Film Video and Media Arts about 25 years ago...I dreaded the maths bit which was up to GCSE level and I was about 38 then!!! Our maths teacher was also an artist and put everything into an arts context... Such as working out how much paint you needed for a mural of mathematical shapes...tesselating shapes etc... It was so much easier to understand when there was a practical application and a reason to know it!!!

Mind you that applies to most things!!! I understood and enjoyed Shakespeare when I was aware of the some of the interesting bitsin the comedies which were really very bawdy jokes!!!

One thing that really ought to be ditched are the NVQs where the only real challenge was filling in a tick sheet and providing scant evidence!!! It has given people pieces of paper that SAY they can do a job when in reality, they know very little! We have a lot of mediocre people in positions of import as a result of this ... and degrees in meaningless subjects!!!!

"CONFUSION WILL BE MY EPITAPH...."
Message 23 of 27
See Most Recent

The princples seem simple enough, especially the last one.

• Identifying which mathematical approach is most effective in different scenarios
  • Combining different concepts to solve complex problems
  • Ability to apply knowledge to real-life situations

I supervised an after school activity flying electric powered, round the pole model aircraft flying and showing them the physics involved was easy when they could see it in action.

Why for example, it needed a 60 volt transformer to supply 12 volts to the motor and why an aircraft could fly.

The type of maths I have difficulty with is how a cake or chocklit weighing a few ounces can put pounds of weight on!!!

Food is unfair, tricky maths.....

"CONFUSION WILL BE MY EPITAPH...."
Message 25 of 27
See Most Recent

Or how far a small cup of something can spread over the floor when you spill it.

Why do our Politicians, Labour, Lib & Tory, all seem to think

Everyone   'has the ability to/are able to', achieve pass marks in English and Maths

They run around the World hunting for schemes that will drive the UK up International Educational league tables (btw - Tables that are not really a level playing field, due to massive doctoring of results)

Message 27 of 27
See Most Recent