How can you tell off from on.

Treading very carefully I wonder if anyone can explain this off topic business. I fully appreciate that a thread can be misdirected and lose its way when some smart Alec comment is made and yet how often have you been involved in a conversation which has suddenly changed course only to come back on track further down the line. In a way it's a bit like chatting away when suddenly there is a bang outside, you rush to the window and see the wind has blown over an advertising hoarding, so you all settle back into the conversation.

Then we have differing opinions on thread content, some ignore most and concentrate solely on Grammar or innuendo, punctuation etc

isn't that all perfectly normal? Some topics can wear a straight jacket others it is more difficult. Imposing tight restrictions may help a thread to concentrate on a narrow subject but is it absolutely essential to the well being of a broad based community, heck I don't know.

Message 1 of 48
See Most Recent
47 REPLIES 47

With most light switches, up is off and down is on.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 48
See Most Recent

It's like a Tick Tock thread, that's does nothing but Tick..............eventually the Gestapo will step in, because they have ways of making you Tock.Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 48
See Most Recent

Beats me why it is such an issue now in the ‘rules’. Heck, it’s only a discussion forum and those who want to get it back on topic will do so and could choose to ignore what they don’t want to read.

Does it mean we can’t insert a joke or a bit of humour because it may be construed as ‘off topic’? This place is now more humourless than it has ever been and with so many not posting it will get beyond bland.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 4 of 48
See Most Recent

Dorothy_0007a%20The%20Bland%20Strategy%20Book.jpg

Message 5 of 48
See Most Recent

It's perfectly logical that conversations drift and so do threads on forums.

However, imagine a normal conversation suddenly being disrupted by idiotic remarks and comments which have nothing to do with the previous conversation and it leading to continuing nonsense to the point where any connection with previous chat is clearly not going to happen any time soon.

A developing conversation with some happy banter is one thing but complete disruption is quite another.

Is it that some people take delight in doing that or are they just easily led by the same old minority?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 48
See Most Recent

From one who only calls in here once in a blue moon and doesn't live here. Every time I call in, I read some thread or other about how RT is falling apart, had it's day etc. etc. How all the old posters have gone, how people don't post any more etc. etc. So, thinking about it logically, if all these people have left and the place hasn't got any better; obviously the problem wasn't among those that left was it.......so what does that tell you ?? As far as having to adhere rigidly to a topic, like the whole experience was being orchestrated in some North Korean fashion; instead of being a relaxed chat forum, where conversations flow freely and even digress ( God forbid ) and maybe somebody even injects the odd bit of humour ( 100 lashes for that too no doubt ).....it's no wonder most people can only tolerate it for so long and then go back to the real World.

Message 7 of 48
See Most Recent

To help the mods see clearly an off from an on ..we must prepare yes or no to everything ...so an example of a topic with no as every answer can be clearly defined as moderately on topic whilst a topic where yes is the predominant answer, the mods can see an agreement which must also be on topic .

With a 50 50 30 70 90 10 scenario, a confused moderator will be required to act quickly and follow the guidlines from the interview.. must be seen by users to be in charge and  therefore issue a warning to let  all know they are confused ,then if the topic still remains in the numbered irrigated perpetuated cosponsored the thread must be locked to give the impression the confused moderator understood the concept of written language and made a rational decision based entirely on facts.

A little help ...This post is off on slightly left right and centre ...no ?

yes.

Message 8 of 48
See Most Recent

I'll have what you're drinking Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 48
See Most Recent

😄

Message 10 of 48
See Most Recent

Hi, not been in here for ages. So a new rule for being on or off topic is there? Can you imagine the mods in a parliament debate?  l bet they would be pulling their hair out in frustration with that topic swerving bunch. Have I gone off or am I ok ?

Message 11 of 48
See Most Recent

no 🙂

Message 12 of 48
See Most Recent

I do agree to some extent with Ceedee on this one. He is right to mention the way a perfectly normal responsible thread can spiral off into an absurd world of pointless comment. It has happened many many times. If I take my own recent indiscretion concerning the humble wurst or würste it remains a fact that within German society there appears to be a sausage analogy for virtually any situation so from a German perspective one would unsurprisingly get a comment or two.  This however is not Germany, I am not German and therefore the comment was unnecessary. 

Message 13 of 48
See Most Recent

right you are cheif ....

Of course if you read your own post there you will have also answered your own question and CD does agree with you on that score I am sure.

A recap ito why is in your view because ...no ?

Message 14 of 48
See Most Recent

Your initial comment was amusing but the continuation was disruptive without any reference back to the subject in hand?

Live long and prosper.

Message 15 of 48
See Most Recent

Reference ... off topic by being off topic is actually on topic on a thread about wondering off topic and back ..no ?

Message 16 of 48
See Most Recent

Tell you what ,lets all get something straight here including the mods ..

A debate can include all relevant and irrelevant  tangents from all types of people from all types of personal points and the subject matter can be debated in any way whatsoever so long as it does not include personal effergy at another poster.

The biggest culprits of effergy towards other posters are the folk who decide what 'on' topic to them means and then comment at a post rather than debate a post from any angle the person posting sees fit to do.

Now its a view point from a reasonable educated guess that no yes no is all you can write down on a strict topic only debate thats being controlled by post posters self opinion that there post means ....backed by a rule thats wholly misunderstood and was created to be used as common sense approach to an effergy against another.

Simple isnt it ...especiallly when you read your own posts .

Message 17 of 48
See Most Recent

Well said Joamur, there is no doubt that a post which is neither on topic or off is the way to go, all we need now is a simple descriptive name for such a post.

Message 18 of 48
See Most Recent

Waffle?

Live long and prosper.

Message 19 of 48
See Most Recent

A pink mackerel

Message 20 of 48
See Most Recent