How can we take the pressure off

Our Ambulance Service? Just listening to the radio discussing the fact that 5 people were responsible for calling for an ambulance 8000 times! In a year. This shocking figure is the tip of the iceberg as I know that every ambulance service have their regulars and it isn’t just about an ageing population, there seem to be loads of people with mental health issues who are crying out for help along with substance abusers, what can/should we be doing to help these people and to assist the ambulance service in order that they can concentrate on people who need them? Also when you see the way emergency staff are spoken to by people should they be allowed to get away with it?
Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Hi Archie

My ex husband was a Paramedic.   Often they were attacked whilst trying to treat emergency cases in the street plus they also had to try and protect the equipment in the back of the Ambulance as people quite often tried to pinch it !   

I think it is a very underpaid job and i have every respect for the Paramedics.

I cannot think of a simple answer unfortunately apart from a lot more help for those with mental health issues and trying to educate the general public more about when you do and do not need to dial 999.

Last Sunday evening  we had a bit of an emergency situation at home regarding our roof and the actual stability of it.  Waited 5 hours for a building/roofing firm to come out.  In the meantime i was very concerned and wondered if there was a non emergency number for the Fire brigade for better advice.   Could not find one online.    We rang the non emergency Police number to see if they had one.  Apparently there is not one at weekends but after informing them of the situation i was advised to dial 999.    After 30 mins of discussing this with hubby we decided not to take this action and fortunately the builders/roofers then turned up to confirm there was not an immediate danger.    We are now arranging a full structural report ;( 

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

@fallen-archiewrote:
Our Ambulance Service? Just listening to the radio discussing the fact that 5 people were responsible for calling for an ambulance 8000 times! In a year. This shocking figure is the tip of the iceberg as I know that every ambulance service have their regulars and it isn’t just about an ageing population, there seem to be loads of people with mental health issues who are crying out for help along with substance abusers, what can/should we be doing to help these people and to assist the ambulance service in order that they can concentrate on people who need them? Also when you see the way emergency staff are spoken to by people should they be allowed to get away with it?

Ban them from using the service.

Blacklist names and addresses.

Done.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Same again,

Ban them from using the service.

Blacklist names and addresses.

Anyone who attacks those trying hardest to help should lose all access

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

If you listen to paramedics they Are duty bound to respond! They exist to save lives and whilst we know that many of the callers are taking the pith what are they supposed to do? Especially when as was said earlier there are ambulance chasing solicitors wanting to catch them out?
Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

It would be tempting to blacklist them, but like the boy who cried wolf, one day those people could have a genuine emergency, maybe concerning an innocent child.  So that's not the answer.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

If these people really have genuine mental problems it isn't as black and white or easy as banning them.

I don't know what can be done about it, but for a start better mental health treatment.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

I guess what I'm about to say will get some people "up in arms" but........................

Those people can be helped, sure and afterwards they're fine. The trouble is..... they will drink, take drugs or not take their prescribed medication when they're "on their own".

So, along with the "homeless" alkys and addicts, a return should be made to the old institutions where they could be secured for their own safelty and that of everyone else.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent