House Martins

My local House Martins haven't arrived yet this year. They normally arrive around April 21st, so I'm getting a bit worried. Are any of you other birdie folks on here missing your Martins? Could it be the colder temperatures that are putting them off coming for their summer holiday?

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

House Martins

Smiley Happyi think i seen one about an hour ago on the grass outside.

Petal
Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

It might be the wind direction and strength rather than temperature per se.

I think we have had quite a lot of strong winds recently from the north and east which mean cooler temperatures but perhaps it is the wind that is the main reason??

I don't know but hopefully more will arrive during calmer conditions and/or some wind from the S and SW

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

Thank you Suzie....I hadn't thought of that! I really love seeing them around and wish they would nest under my eaves, but they prefer the house two doors down! The upside is that I don't have to clean up all the guano!

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

There are a few up here but they are a bit behind, fear not they will turn up soon!
Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

Not seen any blue **bleep** either.  There is a hole in my wall where a pipe was taken out, and for years they have nested in the cavity insulation.  They haven't turned up this year, and I've not even seen any in the garden.  There's usually loads.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

I don't believe it.  I've been bleeped.  Well, I'm sure you all know which birds I mean.  Jeeeeez !!!

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

No body parts allowed, blue or otherwise Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

We all have our eyes peeled here for the Swallows in Manchester..

Its been a while.But I'm still here..
Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

Here now high up ..Swallows-Swifts-House martins ? Not sure.

Its been a while.But I'm still here..
Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

Still no sign of ours....as yet! 

Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

They've arrived! At last......I'm so relieved, I thought they weren't coming this year. It's a beautiful evening here....a lovely pink and blue sky, with a full moon rising, and the Martins wheeling about. Isn't Nature wonderful?

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

I've clearly seen a Swift tonight, I thought I saw one a few days back but it was only a fleeting glimpse so I wasn't sure if it was one of the Swallows or House Martins.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

That's great news Astro, I told you they would arrive!
Swifts are a wonderful sight too we have them in a local church and the sound they make is unmistakable and so evocative. They also herald the arrival of a bird of prey which can best be described as looking like a big swift in silhouette form, the hobby is a dashing bird if you have lots of swifts then there could be a hobby around too.
Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

Yes Archie...you said they would come eventually! We don't get Swifts these days. We used to, every year, but they haven't been seen around here for about five years , maybe even more. That's why I am so happy to see the House Martins. They are probably wishing they had hung on a week or two in warmer climes....at the moment it is absolutely chucking it down and threatening thunder. I on the other hand, am very glad to see the rain...my garden needs it badly!

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

Today there were TWO Swifts sweeping and soaring around so it looks like they'll be nesting again this year and later on I'll see the whole family swooping around scree-scree-scree...... heck they're fast.

Live long and prosper.

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

I was talking to a chap at the door and there were FOUR Swifts swooping around high up so I wonder if some of those are last years offspring?

Live long and prosper.

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

Hello all you birdy folks! Just wanted to ask if your Martins have left yet for their long journey?  Ours are still here, but I am thinking that they will be off any day now.  I'm wishing them a safe journey..and hoping they will be back again next Spring.

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

Most are on the move already Astro, yours were late arriving and will probably go in the next day or two. They will be fine until it comes to crossing the Sahara where sadly many perish however in a world where the fittest survive there will be many that get through and will return next year. I am always sad when I see the swallows lined up on the telephone wire, but excited when they return. Have you considered putting up artificial nest boxes for your house martins? They are brilliant and should ensure you will be able to maintain your population going forward!
Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

House Martins

Yes Archie, I have thought about that. Lots of houses in our street have Martins nesting..But we don't have any. The eaves of our house look suitable. I will have to find a nice young man to go up a ladder for me!

I am in awe of the journey that these little birds make each year, it is one of life's little miracles for me. You are probably right, they will be going soon. Sad, but there it is, if you love something you have to let it go.😢

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent